Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX
That particular thread has become too toxic.

Somebody who lives in the USA, please explain here the difference between "innocent" and "not guilty"... and the difference between a court trial and a Senate trial.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Done.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
What does "rodeated" mean? I can't tell, even from the context, and it isn't in Merriam-Webster, Oxford, or Cambridge - which is why I just hung a verify tag on the word.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"Rodeate" is a Spanish word which means "surround yourself", which could almost make sense in context, but not quite.

No, I'm inclined to think it's a typo, but as god is my witness I cannot fathom what it's a typo for.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
That makes two of us. Anybody else have any idea what it's supposed to be?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Can someone else please take a turn at dealing with Norm in this thread? It's really too early for me to deal with his single-minded insistence on whitewashing Trump's reputation.

Thanks.
-- Bob

Done.

Oh, and I'm on vacation for a week - if it weren't for the pandemic lockdown, I'd be going somewhere. So, please assume that I have limited access to the wiki for the remainder of the calendar month.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
This got me thinking: Should we have categories for Defunct Bands, Defunct TV Series, and other Defunct (fill in the blank) Series to go along with Defunct Web Comics?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
That's a really good question, and not one I anticipated when I created the Defunct Web Comics category. I'm not sure. I have an instinctive gut reaction that it's not appropriate for a lot of kinds of media... some, like TV shows, are inherently limited in scope, and eventually every possible example will be in the "defunct" category. Which strikes me as less than helpful; the series of [decade] categories seem much more useful in that regard. And don't we have a deceased category for creators already?
-- Bob

Seen in the Moderation log:
Quote:(I literally just copy-pasted all of this text from the TV Tropes page and altered it accordingly. Do with it what you will.)
Bob, you're up - IIRC, you have a boilerplate reply for this situation.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oy.

Not really boilerplate, I just copy what I told the last idiot to the new idiot.
-- Bob

(02-22-2021, 08:03 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Oy.

Not really boilerplate, I just copy what I told the last idiot to the new idiot.

You have my profound sympathy. I have to constantly deal with wise guys who think plagiarism is a joke, one guy even passed it off as no big deal in response to my telling him to cut it out, and they nigh always get the surprised pikachu face when I hit them with a permablock on FANDOM.

Thankfully, I have a dedicated core of decent users there who have been vigilant for that and even a few reformed plagiarists who have taken to heart my admonition to never do so again.
As we're now starting to get complaints from other users about Norm "I'm not a rabid Trump fanboy, I just don't want to read anything bad about him" Atredies, I'm wondering how to look at his IP and determine if he really is the ignorant foreigner he still claims to be. (I'm sure it's possible, I just don't know where to look.) If we can map his IP to a general location and determine that he's lying we can at least begin collecting evidence to justify banning him.
-- Bob

(02-23-2021, 11:52 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: ... "I'm not a rabid Trump fanboy, I just don't want to read anything bad about him" ...

Have they arrested the person who's been holding a gun to his head and forcing him to read the wiki?

What? Nobody's been holding a gun to his head and forcing him to read the wiki?

Well, then...

(02-23-2021, 11:52 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I'm wondering how to look at his IP and determine if he really is the ignorant foreigner he still claims to be.  (I'm sure it's possible, I just don't know where to look.)  If we can map his IP to a general location and determine that he's lying we can at least begin collecting evidence to justify banning him.

IP lookup is restricted to Stewards only on Miraheze, IIRC, and I doubt they'll act in a matter that's internal to a single wiki.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh well. I suppose we'll just have to hand him rope and wait until he hangs himself.
-- Bob

On a completely unrelated topic, I want to bring to the group's attention a couple recent edits by one of our other, minor, problem children, ‎Arlo James Barnes. Take a look at what he's done to the page for Åke Ohlmarks -- he's split out 90% of its original content into a YMMV subpage and was typically careless about the markup on what remained. I want to revert all this, since the original article was about what went into the YMMV page, but I'm leaving it at least long enough for everyone else to look at it.

I'd be a bit more forgiving if Barnes had actually had more information about Ohlmarks' non-LOTR work to put into the main page, but this just looks like well-intentioned accidental vandalism.
-- Bob

Vote to revert. When a YMMV subpage ends up with more content than the parent page, then the parent page is a YMMV page in and of itself. We don't put all the content of "Audience Reactions" on a YMMV subpage, after all.

Speaking of completely unrelated topics (and even I think that's a crap segue)... I just spent about an hour turning a redirect into a disambiguation page. If anybody ever asks "why don't we name tropes after characters on All The Tropes?", feel free to point them at The Cedric and let them learn for themselves.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
So I will revert when I move on to ATT in a few minutes after reading the forums.

Regarding The Cedric, I've never seen that page before. (Not surprising, I only care about redirects when I'm removing unneeded ones from other pages.) I know I'm going to find out on my own real soon, but I find myself compelled to ask which of those pages did it originally redirect to?
-- Bob

The sixth one on the list - Sacrificial Lion - because whoever created the trope to begin with obviously thought that of course there haven't been any books ever published that weren't written by JK Rowling.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
When a mod puts a warning on your Talk page about your most recent edit being a copyright violation and asks you to reply, do you
a: reply on your talk page, or
b: make the same edit again?

Guess which one ExploringEditor picked. Hint: the one that got them a two-week vacation from editing the wiki.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
He also sent me a thank instead of replying, which I explicitly told him wasn't acceptable. Nuke the bastard from orbit -- he's deliberately being an ass.
-- Bob

Hey, I had to do this while I'm on vacation. I'm not in a forgiving mood when it comes to that sort of thing right now.

They were blocked before I made my post here.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I need another mod's opinion of this set of edits, keeping in mind this thread on the editor's Talk page.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-25-2021, 09:52 PM)robkelk Wrote: I need another mod's opinion of this set of edits, keeping in mind this thread on the editor's Talk page.

As a devout Christian, this is leaning pretty hard into Judeo-Christian apologist territory, as in, the pro- Jewish/Christian bias is really seeping out here. I don't disagree with the sentiment on religious grounds, but on purely objective ones, the bias needs to go. The Family Guy edit is mostly okay though, that is a legitimate point, the show does tend to hammer Christians overly hard for hypocrisy despite other faiths having their own hypocrites.

I shall be speaking to Norm about this, as has been done here:

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...ingle-view
Norm has been slowly nudging that page into "Christians get it worse than anyone else" for months. I've reverted a couple of his more extreme edits in the past, but I'm seriously considering reverting practically everything he's done to the page, not just those last three edits of his.
-- Bob