Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XIX
I'm going to be working on turning "Trope Workshop:Meta Multiplayer" into a category for a while. (Not as easy as it looks, since it's a supercategory to existing categories.)

If nobody beats me to reverting the apologist edits, I'll revert them when I'm finished.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I think that's enough edit-undoing for me, for now. And I didn't revert one edit where he was right.

However, I did undo an edit where he added false information about who Family Guy picks on.

Anybody else who wants to work down the rest of the list is welcome to do so - just remember to leave reasons in the edit summary (so "undo", don't "revert").
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I see that "Removing - with an explanatory comment - incorrect text that was previously presented as fact" is listed as something that we specifically do not ban people for, but "Adding incorrect text and presenting it as fact" (or equivalent wording) is not on the tempban list. Maybe it should be.

Pros:
* We do give people one change before issuing a tempban, after all, so this wouldn't penalize a single honest mistake

Cons:
* We might end up banning somebody who honestly doesn't know any better.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-26-2021, 12:16 PM)robkelk Wrote: I see that "Removing - with an explanatory comment - incorrect text that was previously presented as fact" is listed as something that we specifically do not ban people for, but "Adding incorrect text and presenting it as fact" (or equivalent wording) is not on the tempban list. Maybe it should be.

Pros:
* We do give people one change before issuing a tempban, after all, so this wouldn't penalize a single honest mistake

Cons:
* We might end up banning somebody who honestly doesn't know any better.

Concur. If they don't make an effort to chill after a warn, then we should drop the tempban.
Agreed. Put it there. It's the same as, although on a smaller scale than, bogus works and the like and we perm-ban with no warning for that.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(02-26-2021, 12:43 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Agreed.  Put it there.  It's the same as, although on a smaller scale than, bogus works and the like and we perm-ban with no warning for that.

Done.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I know I requested this awhile back and was turned down at the time, but I would like to request bureaucrat right again so I can add the Cosmos skin to our list of usable wiki skins.

This wiki uses it by default:

https://dc-multiverse.dcwikis.com/wiki/D...verse_Wiki

It's heavily based on Wikia/FANDOM's current Oasis skin (minus the ads) and I wanted to provide familiarity to those who might wish to try our Miraheze branch who are used to Wikia. Vector will still be our default skin unless otherwise decided on by the community.
(02-26-2021, 12:09 PM)robkelk Wrote: I think that's enough edit-undoing for me, for now. And I didn't revert one edit where he was right..

If I could figure out which edit is where you left off, I'd take it up from there.

However... In looking at the history for Acceptable Religious Targets, I realized that other than admins doing general cleanup and repairing Norm's more obvious damage, Norm has been the only contributor to that page for almost a year, and he's been waging a very slow and patient campaign to bias the page that whole time.  I'd like to propose reverting the page back to the last edit before he started, back in April of last year, and then re-apply whatever housekeeping edits we all made that were independent of him. (EDIT: As well as that one edit where he was right that you mention.)

I'm also going to check his overall edit history and make sure he hasn't been doing the same to other pages.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Okay, I'd like other admins to review his cumulative edits to

As with Acceptable Religious Targets not every edit of his is suspect, but in the aggregate they do tend to add up to purging a lot of text that tended to be critical of religion, or shifting it to be less than complimentary of anyone who is critical. Even allegedly simple housekeeping tasks like changing page organization got in shifts of content and tone.
-- Bob

New category - please add any pages about Adobe Flash websites or content to it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-26-2021, 05:18 PM)GethN7 Wrote: I know I requested this awhile back and was turned down at the time, but I would like to request bureaucrat right again so I can add the Cosmos skin to our list of usable wiki skins.

This wiki uses it by default:

https://dc-multiverse.dcwikis.com/wiki/D...verse_Wiki

It's heavily based on Wikia/FANDOM's current Oasis skin (minus the ads) and I wanted to provide familiarity to those who might wish to try our Miraheze branch who are used to Wikia. Vector will still be our default skin unless otherwise decided on by the community.

So this doesn't get lost in the shuffle, does anyone object?
I do not object.
-- Bob

(02-17-2021, 06:59 PM)robkelk Wrote: So... Fate Nuovo Guerra/Characters. All the blatant copyright violations in the page images.

I said eight months ago on the page that this needed to be fixed.

Anybody mind if I just nuke all the images from the page?

Images are removed from the page, but not nuked yet. Folks have one week to go through the Unused Files list and identify-and-use anything you want to keep. Please ensure the source work is listed as a category and the reuse license (almost definitely "fairuse") is identified on each image that you reuse somewhere else on the wiki.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-24-2021, 09:07 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: On a completely unrelated topic, I want to bring to the group's attention a couple recent edits by one of our other, minor, problem children, ‎Arlo James Barnes.  Take a look at what he's done to the page for Åke Ohlmarks -- he's split out 90% of its original content into a YMMV subpage and was typically careless about the markup on what remained.  I want to revert all this, since the original article was about what went into the YMMV page, but I'm leaving it at least long enough for everyone else to look at it. 

So I reverted this, and Barnes took offense.  He's decided to walk over this. Not sure why it mattered that much to him, but... <shrug>
-- Bob

(02-27-2021, 05:09 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I do not object.

Anyone else object to my getting bureaucrat rights back? I'd love to do some tech work to improve things, but I cannot without those rights restored.

As to Arlo leaving, well, he was polite at least, I bear him no ill will, door is always open if he decides to change his mind, looks to me like he just had an overreaction to how our wiki does things, but his call.
(02-28-2021, 01:49 PM)GethN7 Wrote:

Anyone else object to my getting bureaucrat rights back? I'd love to do some tech work to improve things, but I cannot without those rights restored.

Have patience. Labster's looking for work, so it isn't a surprise that he hasn't weighed in yet, and I for one want to hear from all of the current bureaucrats before doing or not doing anything.

(02-28-2021, 01:49 PM)GethN7 Wrote: As to Arlo leaving, well, he was polite at least, I bear him no ill will, door is always open if he decides to change his mind, looks to me like he just had an overreaction to how our wiki does things, but his call.

Yeah - why pick that hill to die on? But it's his choice.

Changing gears... Do we have a trope for this? Or, for that matter, is there an industry-standard name for this?

A main supporting character has a plot arc that mirrors but doesn't duplicate the plot arc that the protagonist goes through during the work.

Example: Girls und Panzer, where Hana's plotline about her relationship with her mother mirrors Miho's plotline about her relationship with her mother.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Who's the keeper of the conduit to TV Tropes this week?

While going through rights for images, I discovered their copy of TractorBeam.jpg may have been in license violation ever since TVT started making a profit on the website. The license document is here, and it clearly states "Science and ink (also known as nearing-zero or lab-initio or strange-matter) cartoons are free for personal use, research and/or education institutions public health organizations, and non-profit users."

We might want to let them know that they might owe Nick D Kim some money... or they might not. They need to check with the rights-holder. "For minor uses, a reciprocal link may be sufficient." (Not "is", but "may be".)

(Since ATT is nonprofit and will remain so, I've marked our copy of the image with {{permission}}, listing the terms and suggested attribution, and providing a link back to the PDF.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-28-2021, 03:10 PM)robkelk Wrote:

Have patience. Labster's looking for work, so it isn't a surprise that he hasn't weighed in yet, and I for one want to hear from all of the current bureaucrats before doing or not doing anything.
Sure, let's do it.  I think Geth figured out what the problem was, and hopefully also realized that he applied the Streisand Effect to his own opponents.  Sometimes the winning move is not to play.  Welcome back.

Incidentally I am not actually looking for work immediately.  Last week was a fun mix of family tragedy on Sunday, doctor visit for sinus infection on Monday, getting dismissed from work on Tuesday, wiping work computers Wednesday, sleeping half the day Thursday, looking for a lawyer on Friday, and just catching up on chores this weekend.

(02-28-2021, 03:10 PM)robkelk Wrote: Changing gears... Do we have a trope for this? Or, for that matter, is there an industry-standard name for this?

A main supporting character has a plot arc that mirrors but doesn't duplicate the plot arc that the protagonist goes through during the work.

Example: Girls und Panzer, where Hana's plotline about her relationship with her mother mirrors Miho's plotline about her relationship with her mother.
What even is the name of the trope for B plot or side plot?
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(03-01-2021, 12:06 AM)Labster Wrote:

Sure, let's do it.  I think Geth figured out what the problem was, and hopefully also realized that he applied the Streisand Effect to his own opponents.  Sometimes the winning move is not to play.  Welcome back.

Done, and the "Contact Us" page has been updated. Welcome back to the bureaucrat team!

(03-01-2021, 12:06 AM)Labster Wrote: Incidentally I am not actually looking for work immediately.  Last week was a fun mix of family tragedy on Sunday, doctor visit for sinus infection on Monday, getting dismissed from work on Tuesday, wiping work computers Wednesday, sleeping half the day Thursday, looking for a lawyer on Friday, and just catching up on chores this weekend.

Oh, dear... Hope you're doing okay.

(02-28-2021, 03:10 PM)robkelk Wrote: Changing gears... Do we have a trope for this? Or, for that matter, is there an industry-standard name for this?

What even is the name of the trope for B plot or side plot?

Two Lines, No Waiting - which I have just tagged as an esoteric Trope Name.

EDIT: And the links in that page include the one I'm looking for: Plot Parallel
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown

You came across it while adding your new "plot threads" category -- which was the only reason I found it: Plot Parallel.

EDIT: Never mind, I just saw that you had realized this when you did.
-- Bob

(03-01-2021, 08:08 AM)robkelk Wrote:

Done, and the "Contact Us" page has been updated. Welcome back to the bureaucrat team!

Much obliged. I did some tech work with my restored powers to fix a few things.

I removed the Metrolook and Apex skin options, they have a lot of issues and don't work very well with some of the other features we have. I did add the Cosmos skin instead, which is basically a generic version of the Oasis interface from Wikia, but without the ads and native support for all the features we use.

NOTE: Certain Cosmos settings and the ThemeDesigner special page will need to be edited via the Miraheze staff, these affect the backend specifically and thus we'll need to file a request with them to change those settings for us.
Why is our page about caregivers titled "The Caretaker"? Is this an Americanism?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Not as far as I know. In my experience, a caretaker is someone who watches over a property, not a person. I think it's one of those names used because the trope creator way back when might have been confused. Hard to be sure, as the TVT history for the page only goes back to May 2013. (I did note, btw, that they've gotten rid of that clumsy "on this wiki it means" phrasing.)

Given that "The Caregiver" just redirects back to it, I see no problems with renaming it to what it actually should be, and turning the old name into a redirect to the new one.

EDIT: Oh, you did that. No big, my point still applies.
-- Bob

I think the 90's manga series Over Rev! (about a group of mostly female street racers) needs more love . . .

I can't create pages.
(03-02-2021, 02:43 PM)Jinx999 Wrote: I think the 90's manga series Over Rev! (about a group of mostly female street racers) needs more love . . .

I can't create pages.

Sure you can! (Or, at least, you should be able to.) You just need an account, then you need to let the new page sit in the Moderation queue until Geth, Bob, Labster, or I see it...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown