Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Splitting the right in the USA?
Splitting the right in the USA?
As It Happens: Why this Trump critic hosted a meeting about launching a new party for Republicans

A discussion with Evan McMullin, past chief policy director for the House Republican Conference.

Quote:AIH: Isn't this kind of backwards, I mean, sort of gathering everybody up to leave one person's influence in the party? Isn't it better to try and get that one person out? I mean, shouldn't Donald Trump be the one who's leaving, and not all of you?

EM: Well, certainly that would be our preference, right? But I don't think it's fair to say that he is alone. I mean, most of the party supports him. Most of the party wants to continue with him in its leadership. And so, you know, that's the challenge.

Quote:AIH: During the Trump years ... Republicans had control of the Senate. You had control of the White House. And now ... to split the party, isn't that basically a trip to the political wilderness?

EM: I would say that the status quo is worse than being in the political wilderness.

The Republican Party has now become a destructive force in America, and it is better that it be in the wilderness for a cycle or two or three than that it continue on this track.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown