Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm sure somebody can use this quote somewhere...
I'm sure somebody can use this quote somewhere...
... even if it's only something that a new and idealistic Warriors recruit says.

''My job is to protect the world. Not the status quo.''
-- Serini, The Order of the Stick, strip 1229
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: I'm sure somebody can use this quote somewhere...
<applause>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Funny how it is just about the opposite of what superheroes actually do...
Aye.

Sometimes the villain is right. The status quo - the power structures that infest the world and elevate the few who can own at the expense of those who work, or those who aren't lucky enough to live here.

The only benefit of the status quo is that the satus quo is order - it maintains what the wrongs we know and are comfortable with because they don't happen to anyone we know - rather than risking the chaos and the upheavel and the possible loss of that comfort.

I wouldn't say 'idealistic' --- I dare say the opposite is the case.

It doesn't make the world better - just the same. The world we live in isn't the best possible world - it's just the one the majority of us put up with because we've been convinced the alternative is worse.

Maybe I'm rambling. That's probably far too far for a 'Superhero' story --- but, maybe a smart person could turn it into a good story.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Considering that, in the story, the sentence is spoken to a pair of paladins, I think the analysis we have going here is just right.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
On the other hand, when the status quo really is intolerable the paladins would say exactly the same thing. Their duty, after all, is to promote Good and Law, in that specific order. If that means the status quo must break and be torn down in violence, well, they're paladins.

You'd be surprised how well a rabblerouser who will lead the charge would fit that archetype.
Well, that's the tricky thing. In order to save the world, they might need to let the setting's Big Bad win and be in charge for a few decades. Thus the disconnect between protecting the world and protecting the status quo.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I think there's a bigger question there...

....what if the big bad is actually right

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.