Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking For A Little Input
RE: Looking For A Little Input
(blows dust off thread, again)
(coughs)
(blows more dust off thread)

Spells rather than oaths, but you might be able to use them anyway.

In Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? and Sword Oratoria, magic spells are unique to the casters, and it's rare for a mage to have more than one spell. (Unless you're Lefiya Viridis, whose magical ability is to be able to cast any other elf's spell that she understands. But that's why her sobriquet is "Thousand Elf".)

And most spells require speaking rather long incantations - very long in the context of combat, because in this setting, talking is not a free action.

Here are two from Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?, season 1, episode 13. Both texts were copied verbatim from the subtitles.

First, an elf's spell:

Now, in the skies of the distant forest,
to the infinite stars mounted upon the eternal firmament of the night,
this fool does entreat,
and begs just once the divine protection of the stars' fire.
Grant thy benevolent light!
Come forth, wandering wind, the vagabond travele
across sky and wilderness.
Let the light of stardust occupy me ... and strike my enemy!
LUMINOUS WIND!

Which produces a blasting wind and what's essentially a multi-coloured meteorite swarm emanating forward from the caster.

This one's a human's spell, and includes Naruto-style hand movements - which is why it's shorter than most spells in the setting:

O mighty god of the fighting arts who strikes all,
I beg thy divine guidance!
Grant this trifling form thy divine power!
Descend from Heaven and take control of the Earth!
Jinmu Tousei! Futsu-no-mitama!

After which the spellcaster uses forced perspective to appear to be pressing the target down between her open hands - and the relatively-far-away much-larger target reacting as if he's being pushed down. An onlooker who doesn't see the hand movements calls it a "gravity spell".
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown