Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT] The Seventh Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
RE: [OOC][PLOT] The Seventh Thread of Planning for Arc 1 - Arrivals
Quote:and San Antonio gets their own lawman, a Texas Ranger by the name of Walker...

This I like.  I loved Walker, Texas Ranger, only partially ironically.  It was like clockwork.  Every episode, a car explodes in the third act.  Every third episode, his girlfriend gets kidnapped.  Once a season, we travel back in time, or we do a Cherokee thing.  He beats up Mexican drug runners, he beats up asians who all know kung fu, and then he beats up skinheads just to show that he beats up people of all races and creeds.  They even had a black guy on just in case the script called for actual acting.

What's weird is I even liked it better than the other recent Western lawman, Longmire.  It had better components -- complex story, acting, themes of corruption and revenge -- but ultimately the characters changed to be unrecognizable by the end, and not in a good way.  Walker, well, he was a tough guy who beat up bad guys, and because that's all Chuck Norris could do, he had very consistent characterization.  And what's wrong with that?

So far as Castle, I had thought about crossing over between them in my Interpol Manzai fic, if I ever write on it again.  In this story, I can just imagine Rick Castle pretending to be Mal Reynolds, while Nathan Fillion pretends to be Richard Castle, all in an elaborate scheme to catch a killer.  And then the real Captain Mal shows up!

I had also thought about Yomi Mizuhara being related to Kaori Makimura in the other fic, which explained her shooting skills.  I'm still not sure how I would have crossed them over with City Hunter, but I still might consider that family relationship existing in TNB as well.

Also, we left out Bokuto Precinct.  We definitely need them!
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(04-16-2021, 04:28 AM)Labster Wrote: Also, we left out Bokuto Precinct.  We definitely need them!

I'd say they should show up in San Antonio, to keep them with the Ah! My Goddess characters. (Yes, there's a blink-and-you-miss-it one-panel cameo by Belldandy and Keiichi in the YUA manga... and Belldandy did make her first manga appearance ever in a non-canon bit drawn by Fujishima-san where Miyuki and Natsumi make a wish.)

EDIT: I suppose I should drop a displacee law-enforcement officer into Ottawa, too. (Kuroko, Kazari, and Mii make sad eyes at Rob) Oh, right.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(04-06-2021, 06:53 PM)robkelk Wrote: Have a teaser, since it'll be a while before I'm ready to post the entire section. It isn't the most elegant way to enumerate the party members, but it'll do.

Longer than I expected, because I just realized something that Sosuke would never have forgotten about.

At least I thought of it before posting the chapter.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Short of starting a new thread entirely for this, this seems to be the best place to put this.

I just got back in touch with an old friend -- we'd drifted apart over the past twenty-plus years but LinkedIn just threw her at me a couple weeks ago as 3rd-degree link and wouldn't I want to connect directly with her? Well yes, yes I would, and we've traded a couple emails since she accepted my invite.

Anyway, on topic. I found out from her that she's living in a "cohousing" community that sounds a whole lot like how the residences theoretically work. Not exactly, but I'm thinking that the website for where she lives might prove to be a very helpful resource when it comes to filling in all the "reality ensues" kind of details some of us might want.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Looks to me like that's a housing cooperative on steroids. IMHO, that's a good thing.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Here we go: an open story thread for everybody's favourite meddling writer. Feel free to add journal entries to it as Drosselmeyer meddles with your characters.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Thought of another Cop that could be added, Detective Frank Drebin (and perhaps the unlucky Nordberg)
Which Nordberg? The white one or the black one?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I'd only recalled the one played by OJ Simpson, so I guess the black one? *shrugs*

Maybe both, ;p
IMHO, the TV series Nordberg was more fun. IMHO.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
He was also played by Peter Lupus from Mission: Impossible (the big, muscular guy).
-- Bob

Argh.

Rob, I wish I'd known in advance that the possibility of more than one giant being there was a known thing.  It would have changed the entire dynamic of how Ben would approach the situation.

Thing is, the way I approach stuff like this, I anticipate the absolute worst case scenario.  Always.  No maybe maybe maybe's here.  He is only looking at how anything and everything can possibly go wrong, because this is not only how he was raised, but also the shit-tier luck he's had most of his life - to see only the worst possible outcomes.  Thus, Ben would have the following in mind during the planning stages.

If Giant = 1, then send in the ARX-7.
If Giant = 2, then Send Ben in.
If Giant >/= 3, Ben would say, "Everyone out!  We're nuking it from orbit!"  (Not literally, but you get the idea.)

Really, a lot of the ridiculously bad fortune I've had lately, I could see coming in some fashion.  Not the exact scenario that actually occurs, but just that it comes as no real surprise.  "Of course you did, because why the fuck not?" I would often say at these moments.  There's no way for me to plan for these things because more often than not, the only real fix is to throw gobs of money at the problem in the form of parts, tools, equipment, software, what have you, and time taken off from work to make it happen.

A great example was when I had to replace the axle seals on my truck, because they were leaking gear oil from the differential into the rear brake drums.  Thing is, at SEVERAL points, mom drove my truck for several miles with the parking brake on.  She just never noticed because her way of driving a truck is if it doesn't move, give it more gas until it moves.  The oil leaking into the brakes didn't help matters any.  (She used to drive very old, heavy, full-sized pick-up trucks and not the little Ranger I had.)  What this meant was that the damn axle bearing races wound up getting fused to the rest of the axle, and the only thing to do then was to pull the whole damn thing out and take it to the machine shop to have them knock the bearings out.  Of course, I only discovered this AFTER I had to break down and buy a whole slide hammer kit to get the blasted things out, and then even afterwards I had to go and buy a drill and a cylinder honing tool because the new bearings weren't going in - there were some burrs that were keeping that from happening.  And there was no way in hell I was returning those tools after the fact, because I knew damn well that would just be tempting Murphy in the worst way possible.

By comparison, this sort of planning is easy for Ben.  "Uhm, yeah, no, fuck that noise, if there's three of those fuckers there, I'm blowing the whole goddamn place to hell.  And fuck what you think because having three or more of those fuckers around is way more risky than the risk of blowing our cover.  We're out in the goddamned sticks anyhow."
(05-04-2021, 07:33 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: By comparison, this sort of planning is easy for Ben.  "Uhm, yeah, no, fuck that noise, if there's three of those fuckers there, I'm blowing the whole goddamn place to hell.  And fuck what you think because having three or more of those fuckers around is way more risky than the risk of blowing our cover.  We're out in the goddamned sticks anyhow."

"See that lake right there? See the ski hill at the other end of that lake? See all the skiers from Ottawa who are already on that hill this early in the morning? We can't just nuke this place."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(04-30-2021, 07:04 PM)Norgarth Wrote: Thought of another Cop that could be added, Detective Frank Drebin (and perhaps the unlucky Nordberg)

And another: Detective Munch in Special Victims Unit, New York (who has his own All The Tropes page).
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Munch and Drebin, together again for the first time!
-- Bob

sigh...

I feel like a broken record, telling myself that I'll finish off my current stories "this weekend for sure!" and then making no progress on them for whatever reason.

And I even know what I want to write for two of the stories. I have the notes on the wiki and everything.

Maybe I should just take a day or two off work and do nothing but write - the gods know I have enough vacation time in my leave bank, and my manager knows, too - but that requires somebody to take over for me. The thing about being so indispensable that they can't fire you is that you're so indispensable that you can't take time off. (At least they gave me an award for excellence in service during COVID-19. I'd rather have the time off.)

Anyway...

No update this weekend.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Hmmmmm...

Remember the various scenes early in the Ah! My Goddess manga when Skuld got pissed off and started to commit mayhem (with her "Skuld bombs"), only to be thwarted by Urd before anything could go wrong?

It appears that this isn't something that Fujishima-san made up - it's straight out of Norna-Gests þáttr. Except for the "Skuld bombs".

And the way that Urd thwarted Skuld's curse in that saga had its own side-effects, too. Again, her style wasn't made up by Fujishima-san.

"That's all well and good, Rob, but what does it have to do with There's Nothing Better?"

For one thing, it gives Skuld a reason to continue avoiding using her magic, even after Belldandy trained Skuld sufficiently that she could safely manifest her angel by the end of the manga.

For another, it gives Skuld a second reason to be interested in Blossom Apartments. Touma's right hand is canonically able to block even divine magic -- which, if he's willing to help, gives Skuld an option to be able to train in using her own divine magic without risking the near-tragedy mentioned in Norna-Gests þáttr. If only she had the time to stay on Earth for training... but that's what Arc 3 is for, right?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Anybody mind if I borrow Miyuki Takamachi for a few months in-universe? Sailor Jupiter still has no idea how to use that tanto that she picked up in September 2016...

EDIT:

A thought... Mikoto all but promised that she'd visit Alicia Testarossa during March break, so any time between March 11 and 19. Nanoha's birthday is March 15 - smack-dab in the middle of the window for the promise. During the planning for the visit, Rob mentions to Miyuki that Makoto has a tanto (maybe because she was carrying one and was in view when whoever at Westwoods answers the phone). Miyuki looks thoughtful while Rob and Ben make arrangements. During the birthday party at the amusement park that the Bannings-Lowell family owns, Miyuki and Makoto have a serious discussion. At the end of the day, Miyuki grabs her already-packed suitcase and joins the folks headed to Ottawa. She doesn't come home until early July.

Opinions?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Actually doing some writing this weekend... but on the wrong story. Meh - I have to do it anyway in order to finish off the story that's officially on hiatus.

Have a teaser.

Blossom Apartments, Ottawa, ON, Canada
February 11, 2017
3:03 PM

"Got a minute?"

Rob looked up to see Frenda standing just inside his office. As he saved the spreadsheet that he had been working on for Funtom Canada, he answered, "Sure. Come on in."

She did so, and sat down before he could offer a chair. "It's about what we were talking about on Monday."

He might not trust her, but he liked that she didn't bother with small talk while he was working. But what she had said didn't narrow things down much. "We talked about a lot of things on Monday, Frenda. Anything in particular, or the whole conversation?"

She actually looked nervous as she answered. "The whole thing, basically."

"Did I say something wrong during the conversation?"

"well... basically, I don't know. Maybe I said something wrong. It's pretty obvious that Saten-san didn't like what she heard. And I don't like that."

"No?" One eyebrow went up, Spock-style.

"Hey, it's not like I like her that way, the way Shirai likes Railgun. I just thought that maybe we could have been friends, if she didn't know that I live in the darkness in Academy City."

"In a different world, you might say."

"Basically." She nodded in agreement. "And ..."

When it became obvious that Frenda wasn't going to continue without some prompting, Rob echoed, "And?"

"Those books that you and Shiage-san have. They say that everybody in ITEM ended up in the light. Everybody but me. I end up dead instead."

"It sounds to me like you're making a list of reasons why you should change your ways, Frenda. Do you want my help with that list?"

She shook her head. "It isn't that. I don't know if I can change, Mr. Donaldson. I've been in the darkness for too long. It's all I know."

"And you're worried that the darkness has claimed you for its own."

"Basically, yes."

"Hmmmmm..." He thought for a moment. "There are works of fiction where the light and the darkness are forces of nature, or opposite sides of a cosmic balance. A lot of the comic-book writers here like that kind of ... pardon the pun, that kind of black and white morality. But there are also works where dark isn't evil and light isn't good, and I know for a fact that there are people from at least one of those worlds here because I've met them. I can introduce you to Fate and Gil later, if you want."

"So, basically, even if the darkness has claimed me, I might not be so bad after all? Saten-san would probably like to hear that."

"She probably would. It would make her more comfortable."

"Yeah. But I don't want to lie to somebody who might become my friend."

Rob smiled. "It sounds to me like you've already started down the road away from the darkness. It won't be easy. But nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight – got to kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight."

Frenda grinned. "I've heard that song!"

Rob nodded. "If I'm going to steal, I'll steal from the best. And Bruce Cockburn is a genius songwriter. But even if I am stealing the words, the thought is still genuine. And if you really want to kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight, I'll help you."

"That's a big offer, basically. But what do you get out of it?"

"Besides Rui-chan being happier than if I didn't? Well, I'll put it this way: If you make your way to the light, you'll have seen both sides of that divide, and you'll be in a position to make your own informed decision - and right now this world needs all the people who can make informed decisions that it can get. I get a slightly saner world."

Frenda thought about Rob's words for a moment. Finally, she answered, "Okay, I think I get that, basically. How long will it be before I can say that I've looked at life from both sides now?"

"That depends on how deep you are into the darkness, and how much work you put into making you way to the light. And speaking of stealing lyrics..."

"You started it!"

They both laughed, honestly and loudly.

Concordance entries, for those who don't recognize the lyrics:

Quote:But nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight – got to kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight.
Lyrics from "Lovers in a Dangerous Time", written and performed by Bruce Cockburn, from the album ''Stealing Fire'', © 1984 True North Records

Quote:I've looked at life from both sides now
Lyrics from "Both Sides, Now", written and performed by Joni Mitchell, from the album ''Clouds'', © 1969 Reprise Records. Frenda's probably quoting a cover version, though,
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-16-2021, 08:05 AM)robkelk Wrote: Anybody mind if I borrow Miyuki Takamachi for a few months in-universe? Sailor Jupiter still has no idea how to use that tanto that she picked up in September 2016...

EDIT:

A thought... Mikoto all but promised that she'd visit Alicia Testarossa during March break, so any time between March 11 and 19. Nanoha's birthday is March 15 - smack-dab in the middle of the window for the promise. During the planning for the visit, Rob mentions to Miyuki that Makoto has a tanto (maybe because she was carrying one and was in view when whoever at Westwoods answers the phone). Miyuki looks thoughtful while Rob and Ben make arrangements. During the birthday party at the amusement park that the Bannings-Lowell family owns, Miyuki and Makoto have a serious discussion. At the end of the day, Miyuki grabs her already-packed suitcase and joins the folks headed to Ottawa. She doesn't come home until early July.

Opinions?

Hrm...  Makoto might be getting a bit more than she thinks.

The Takamachi Family style is a twin kodachi form of swordplay.  Putting this into a more Western imagining, this would be like someone dual-wielding gladius - the short swords used by the Roman legions (because they don't get in the way of their shields) and by their gladiators.

The kodachi is an interesting beast because while it resembles a wakizashi quite strongly, unlike the wakizashi it is made to a set length.  Wakizashi, like their longer cousin, the katana, is made to a custom length to suit the wielder.

Now, it's not really known what purpose the kodachi served.  They were only made for a short time and for a small sect of families.  But I would imagine that the idea is that with the kodachi being a set-length, then one is as good as another.  While having a weapon that is custom made for your proportions has its advantages, being able to just pick up another kodachi if yours breaks and then use it just like the one you had before is an advantage all on its own.

Also, the style Miyuki uses is implicitly for killing.  While not assassins, their line of work as bodyguards does not permit them much flexibility.  Someone is trying to kill their charge?  They kill the assassin first.  End of story.

That said, I do believe that Miyuki would possess a repertoire of single-blade techniques...  But these would be very cut-throat techniques as, from the perspective of someone of the Takamachi school, if you're fighting with only one sword, then you're at a disadvantage.  And this from a style where the driving force is "Kill Them First".

Interesting fact about Miyuki's character: she doesn't really like being in this business and only does it out of a sense of duty and obligation.  Primarily because she's actually Shiro Takamachi's niece through his sister.  She has been adopted into the Takamachi branch because of her father being killed at the event that would have killed Shiro as well (but I kinda fudged with things a bit to combine the MGLN timeline with the TH timeline).  Thus, she feels indebted to them for taking care of her.

That, and there's also the thing she has for Kyouya.

At any rate, this may be the best thing for Makoto, regardless.  I've done a bit of research, and most schools that teach Japanese-style swordplay are geared towards non-combat.  For these schools, it is strictly a sport, much like Olympic-style Fencing.  Granted, the techniques are all derived from killing techniques, but they've been kinda toned down a bit, and the way they train is not suitable for a person that will be getting into an actual fight.

The schools that DO treat the Way of the Sword the way it is meant to be are exceedingly rare and do not tend to advertise their existence.  They are very careful in their selection of their students, and with good reason: they are teaching you how to kill.
(05-19-2021, 06:13 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: ... Also, the style Miyuki uses is implicitly for killing.  While not assassins, their line of work as bodyguards does not permit them much flexibility.  Someone is trying to kill their charge?  They kill the assassin first.  End of story.

At any rate, this may be the best thing for Makoto, regardless. ...

Makoto is not stupid. She knows what the request means. And she knows how many youma/droids/etc she's been an active party to killing, and she specifically insisted on single-handedly taking down a daimon during S. Those pretty hands of hers have blood on them, and she knows it. (Likewise, Usagi, Ami, Rei, and Minako know that they aren't innocent, either. Ami has even almost-acknowledged it in TNB.) The only thing she'll be upset about is not thinking of asking Miyuki for training three months earlier, when they first met.

And SI-Rob takes after Jake Burroughs in The Number of the Beast in at least one way: He'd rather have to bail out his (foster) daughter than identify her body.

So, yeah, this is not an issue.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The question has arisen: Why not just drop Rods from God on the Unseelie near Calabogie?

Two Watsonian answers:

First, that would kill the prisoners as well as the fae.

Second, it would be blatantly obvious to anybody watching from the nearby ski resort or the nearby race track, and the managers are still trying to maintain a low profile so that Malleable Causality doesn't have to work too hard.

And one Doylist answer: I need the practice in writing fight scenes.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just had an idea.

33-Stars end up playing in the Eurovision
33-Stars end up winning the thing on the public vote

Someone internationally reallises that 33-Stars are very similar to characters from an anime OVA that came out in 1980's. They sort of end up proving that they are the 33-S from bubblegum crisis

Shitstorm ensues.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Still working on stories. The right story, this time. Won't have enough to post this weekend. Minor teaser:

"Time for us to break out of jail, then."

Any member of the Horde who wasn't already awake was startled into consciousness by the explosion that ripped open one of the dungeon cells.

In Ottawa, Washuu caught Teletha's attention, and showed her a screen. As soon as Teletha had finished reading the report, she switched on her own microphone. "All Units, TDD Actual. That explosion was detected in Ottawa. You're near a fault line, so the government is explaining it as a magnitude 3 earthquake. Exercise caution when using your more powerful attacks. TDD Actual out."

Fate turned to Nanoha - who was red with embarrassment - and said, "I guess you can't use Starlight Breaker."

"I guess not. And there's so much loose magic here already, too. It would have been perfect if we found any giants. I'll just have to stay with Divine Buster."

"I understand, my master," Raising Heart acknowledged.

As to which fault line they're near, see here.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
[Image: irreg2177.jpg]
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto