Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC] So, just where is Aria House?
[OOC] So, just where is Aria House?
I'm adding "what's nearby" maps to the wiki pages for the various residences, and discovered that Aria House doesn't have a listed address. (Neither did the buildings in Ottawa, but I already knew where they were.)

Just where is Aria House?

Without, you know, actually asking Labster, I decided to do some investigative work.
  • Channeling Mana says they have to cross Pacific Avenue to get to the canals, which puts the building closer to the beach than Pacific Avenue is.
  • The wiki page for Kaleido Stage says "it's a longer walk on the pier than it is on land" between Kaleido Stage and Aria House. That puts Aria House somewhere between 25th Place and Fleet Street.
  • The building is four storeys tall, but the first storey is all parking.
  • Akari's Perfectly Ordinary Day has some of the girls going out for dinner - items ordered are pizza, a margarita, fish tacos, a hamburger, and loaded potato skins. Near as I can tell from the menus available from the links on Google Maps, it looks like they went to The Venice Whaler... which doesn't narrow down the location at all, since it's right at Venice Pier.

So, assuming Aria House is a real building... Venice Beach Atrium?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: [OOC] So, just where is Aria House?
(05-02-2021, 11:46 AM)robkelk Wrote: I'm adding "what's nearby" maps to the wiki pages for the various residences, ...

As of this posting:

7 Henrietta Street has a starter local map, with only the residence marked. Thank you for providing a real-world street address, Dartz!

Blossom Apartments has a complete local map, including the location of Piffle Enterprises.

Club Lofts has a starter local map, with the residence and the nearby park marked. (I mentioned a particular coffee shop in Time Away, but I haven't marked it on the map yet.)

Douglass Gardens Apartments has a complete local map, although I had to guess at exact locations. The Banzai Institute is in IRL parkland, and Callahan's is in what appears to be an abandoned building IRL (as near as I can tell, it was once a bank and most recently a veterinarian's clinic, but there were no cars in the parking lot as of the last Google Street View drive-by). I had to evict an existing business to give Artie's Artery a home - I chose the pawnshop. Bob, please double-check the locations and tweak them if needed.

Live Oaks Manor, being a fictional building to begin with, took a bit of deductive work - it had to be close enough to the battleground to be able to serve as a field command for Gen. Grant when he was cutting off smuggling in the area, but we can't actually build on the battleground. I picked a likely-looking location and added a starter local map, with only the residence marked.

Appartements Mont-Royal Sud ... is not showing up on Google Maps under that name. I'll need to do some research into what's in Montreal but not downtown in order to pin down a possible location before I can add a map.

Other residences still need local maps. For that matter, they also need addresses (other than Kaleido Stage).
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Actually, I put the Banzai Institute on land where a Hindu temple was built a couple/few years ago, but yeah, I'm guessing you used the same coordinates I did on the the DG page. The Roadhouse, by the way, is located adjacent (to the SE) to a small building with a deli/restaurant and bike shop in it on the corner of Amwell and Demott.

Callahan's ... yeah, that'll do. I actually had in mind the place across the street. Currently a Chinese restaurant, it was a go-go bar for at least 10 or 20 years, so it seemed like a natural site for a "new" bar. But the specific choice of building is anything but critical.

Artie's Artery is a fine location. That whole stretch, from about a block or two north, to three or four blocks south, was filled with clubs back in the day. The Melody Bar, the Ritz... all long gone, all fondly remembered.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(05-02-2021, 11:46 AM)robkelk Wrote: I'm adding "what's nearby" maps to the wiki pages for the various residences, and discovered that Aria House doesn't have a listed address. (Neither did the buildings in Ottawa, but I already knew where they were.)

Just where is Aria House?

Without, you know, actually asking Labster, I decided to do some investigative work.
  • Channeling Mana says they have to cross Pacific Avenue to get to the canals, which puts the building closer to the beach than Pacific Avenue is.
  • The wiki page for Kaleido Stage says "it's a longer walk on the pier than it is on land" between Kaleido Stage and Aria House. That puts Aria House somewhere between 25th Place and Fleet Street.
  • The building is four storeys tall, but the first storey is all parking.
  • Akari's Perfectly Ordinary Day has some of the girls going out for dinner - items ordered are pizza, a margarita, fish tacos, a hamburger, and loaded potato skins. Near as I can tell from the menus available from the links on Google Maps, it looks like they went to The Venice Whaler... which doesn't narrow down the location at all, since it's right at Venice Pier.

So, assuming Aria House is a real building... Venice Beach Atrium?

You were awfully close, Rob.  It's Oceana Apartments, one big building to the south.  You must have missed where I posted a map with a giant arrow pointing at the building about a month ago.

Though you may have a better idea which restaurant they went to than I did. :3  I'm not writing there because of my deep local knowledge, but because I know what it's like to live in a beach town a few miles away (and the Venice gag won't work in Ventura!).
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
So close... and I almost said "Oceana" until I noticed the parking arrangements at Atrium.

Ah, well. Now I can make a local map for your building's page. EDIT: And done. Or at least started. You get to add other locations, as needed

(05-02-2021, 05:46 PM)Labster Wrote: Though you may have a better idea which restaurant they went to than I did. :3 I'm not writing there because of my deep local knowledge, but because I know what it's like to live in a beach town a few miles away (and the Venice gag won't work in Ventura!).

So, gondolas in Venice trump "Sakaki no Ventura, Pet Detective". Probably a good thing. Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Let's put the Philadelphia residence at the Steeple then. I'm figuring that Scoobies in Philly equals Xander on the maintenance staff, and I think he'd work out better there than in a 10+ story building with a steel frame.
Sounds good. Thanks!

EDIT: Heh - that makes at least three residences convenient to universities: Steeple, Douglass Gardens, and Blossom. And half the people at Aria attend or work at university. We have a theme going.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Now that "The place in Philadelphia" on the wiki is now "The Steeple" and has a local map, we have only three places that still need local maps.
  • The place in Nova Scotia - this one's my responsibility to locate.
  • Warehouse 13 - I have no idea where in or near Boston to put a nondescript warehouse. Any suggestions?
  • Westwoods Apartments - I remember there's a post somewhere here that shows a map of where Westwoods and Midoriya are (possibly discussing the writing of the Halloween party story), but I don't have time right now to find the post...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-04-2021, 07:52 PM)robkelk Wrote: Sounds good. Thanks!

EDIT: Heh - that makes at least three residences convenient to universities: Steeple, Douglass Gardens, and Blossom. And half the people at Aria attend or work at university. We have a theme going.

Club Lofts in Windsor has a bus line that passes along the road in front of the building that brings you straight out to the University of Windsor (can also transfer to one of the 2 lines that service St Clair College of applied Arts and Technology, but that's not as convenient)
(05-04-2021, 08:26 PM)robkelk Wrote:
  • Westwoods Apartments - I remember there's a post somewhere here that shows a map of where Westwoods and Midoriya are (possibly discussing the writing of the Halloween party story), but I don't have time right now to find the post...

That was then. I found the map (in the thread "The Midoriya"), and so Westwoods now has a "starter" local map - as of this posting, only Westwoods and Midoriya are marked on the map.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-04-2021, 08:26 PM)robkelk Wrote:
  • The place in Nova Scotia - this one's my responsibility to locate.

I had previously said "near Lincolnville". Forget that - they're now in Lincolnville. Mainly because there's nothing else in Lincolnville other than a few houses that appear to be residences of the local orchard owners; if the place had prospered, it would have been the only business in the area.

On the other hand, that lunch room that I described as being too small to be a restaurant is big enough to serve as the local restaurant - which offers a few story ideas. The teenage residents are still going to be on school buses an hour or more every day (or distance-learning), though. And somebody's going to have to learn how to drive in order to get groceries. (EDIT: No, Epsilon didn't have a driver's license.)

This leaves Warehouse 13 as the only residence page without a local map. Any suggestions as to where in Boston to put the place?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Westwoods apartments is at 2903 Colt Drive.  It's on the west side of town, one block off from US Highway 90, and a few blocks inside from Interstate 410.

(Though we locally refer to it as Loop Four-Ten, just as we refer to Texas Highway 1604 as Loop Sixteen-Oh-Four.  Around here, it's all about the wheel-and-spoke layout because San Antonio was the center of pretty much everything in the region, so all major roads led to the center of town and bore the names of the places the led to - e.g.: Culebra Road actually leads from the center of San Antonio out to the town of Culebra.  Near the center of town, Culebra branches off from Fredericksburg Road, which, surprise surprise, led to Fredericksburg, TX - though most of that route is now Interstate 10.)

The Midoriya would be located at 207 E. Hildebrand Avenue, at the corner of Hildebrand and McCullough Avenue.  It is an art deco themed building that was once the Olmos Pharmacy.  Because the signage for the pharmacy was rendered in a classic art deco style as well, the signage has been preserved along with the rest of the building's fascia.
(05-02-2021, 12:58 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Actually, I put the Banzai Institute on land where a Hindu temple was built a couple/few years ago, but yeah, I'm guessing you used the same coordinates I did on the the DG page.  The Roadhouse, by the way, is located adjacent (to the SE) to a small building with a deli/restaurant and bike shop in it on the corner of Amwell and Demott.

Callahan's ... yeah, that'll do.  I actually had in mind the place across the street.  Currently a Chinese restaurant, it was a go-go bar for at least 10 or 20 years, so it seemed like a natural site for a "new" bar.  But the specific choice of building is anything but critical.

Artie's Artery is a fine location.  That whole stretch, from about a block or two north, to three or four blocks south, was filled with clubs back in the day.  The Melody Bar, the Ritz... all long gone, all fondly remembered.

Taking another look at the map, it looks like I might have put the Banzai Institute close to where you had it - OpenStreretView shows a Hindu temple adjacent to the lot that I selected.

So your descriptions were better than we thought.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown