Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XX
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XX
Old thread is here.

(05-07-2021, 11:09 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(05-07-2021, 08:04 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: By the way, has anyone alerted Miraheze staff just in case they're targeting other wikis?

Not I... and I know there's at least one other Miraheze wiki that uses a lot of Commons images, so they might be a target as well.

In that case I'll drop a note on the Steward's Board.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XX
And done, but on the Community Board, not the Stewards Board.

And while I was there I spotted a topic with advice on how to hide the "Add as Foe" button -- something we've wanted to do for a while.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(05-07-2021, 01:17 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: And while I was there I spotted a topic with advice on how to hide the "Add as Foe" button -- something we've wanted to do for a while.

Labster's our CSS expert, IIRC. I could give it a try, but I'm not really comfortable in that corner of the interface.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Important note: If one changes "[[media:example.jpg]]" to "[[:file:example.jpg]]", then file:example.jpg shows up as a false positive on the Unused files list.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
That's good to know. Annoying, because "[[media:" doesn't give you an easy way to get to the image's info page, but still good to know.
-- Bob

Should we even have this page? I just hung a "delete" tag on it to get a conversation going.

None of the other "____ Song" tropes have Image Link subpages.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Jeeze, no. Stills from song sequences don't illustrate a song.
-- Bob

Just started Category:Defunct Fan Works. Feel free to help populate it.

EDIT: Never mind - we already have Category:Dead Fic for that. (A consistent naming convention would be nice, folks...)

RE-EDIT: Although Category:Dead Fic only has two fics listed... In that case, we might as well be consistent. Category:Defunct Fan Works is now for the fics.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Here's something for a laugh. I was checking my ISP's spam filter a few minutes ago when I discovered that XM98 had had the temerity to email me to sign some kind of campaign at a petition site to get himself unbanned on TV Tropes... by asking Google to intervene. Better yet, the number of signatures he thought would be enough to convince Google to act on his behalf is... 100.

I can't decide if he's absolutely clueless about how many signatures would really be needed, or he's being perfectly realistic and is aware there's no way he can find more than a hundred people even likely to sign on as a joke.

Just to top it off, the email was this disingenuous "I just signed this petition, won't you sign it too?" kind of thing, as if he didn't expect me to notice it was him. And he sent it to my ATT admin address. What a maroon.
-- Bob

(05-10-2021, 09:35 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Here's something for a laugh.  I was checking my ISP's spam filter a few minutes ago when I discovered that XM98 had had the temerity to email me to sign some kind of campaign at a petition site to get himself unbanned on TV Tropes... by asking Google to intervene.  Better yet, the number of signatures he thought would be enough to convince Google to act on his behalf is... 100.

I can't decide if he's absolutely clueless about how many signatures would really be needed, or he's being perfectly realistic and is aware there's no way he can find more than a hundred people even likely to sign on as a joke.

Just to top it off, the email was this disingenuous "I just signed this petition, won't you sign it too?" kind of thing, as if he didn't expect me to notice it was him.  And he sent it to my ATT admin address.  What a maroon.

So the attention whore who will remain formally nameless is attempting to run water uphill in defiance of common sense.

I made it quite clear when said moron tried to annoy me their emails would be added to my spam filter and would be ignored. The fool hasn't sent me anything since.
(05-09-2021, 02:36 PM)robkelk Wrote: Should we even have this page? I just hung a "delete" tag on it to get a conversation going.

None of the other "____ Song" tropes have Image Link subpages.

(05-09-2021, 03:38 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Jeeze, no. Stills from song sequences don't illustrate a song.

Nuked.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Rob... it looks like you've been working backwards through the Image Links subpages; where are you? I just started pages beginning with "R", and I want to make sure we don't end up overrunning each other and duplicating work.
-- Bob

Oh, and in other news, Matomo Analytics has been consistently reporting 5 visits from the copyright troll for the last week or more. Since according to the page the numbers are totals from the last 30 days' traffic, that suggests that they may have moved on; if so, they may have been looking for high-return low-hanging fruit and gave up when they couldn't find anything they could use.

Or possibly they decided to track back to TVT and are looking at their copyright situation.
-- Bob

(05-13-2021, 11:15 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Rob... it looks like you've been working backwards through the Image Links subpages; where are you?  I just started pages beginning with "R", and I want to make sure we don't end up overrunning each other and duplicating work.

I'm only touching those pages as I stumble across messes on any of them during my project of identifying licenses. I'm not concentrating on them at all.

Don't worry about what I do in that subsection.

(05-13-2021, 11:19 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Oh, and in other news, Matomo Analytics has been consistently reporting 5 visits from the copyright troll for the last week or more.  Since according to the page the numbers are totals from the last 30 days' traffic, that suggests that they may have moved on; if so, they may have been looking for high-return low-hanging fruit and gave up when they couldn't find anything they could use.

Or possibly they decided to track back to TVT and are looking at their copyright situation.

Fingers crossed that they've realized there's no money available in suing somebody who doesn't have any income.

And while I don't want to see them succeed in suing anybody if their business model is "sue anyone whether we have an interest or not", I will admit to a certain amount of potential schadenfreude if they do go after TV Tropes, considering why ATT exists in the first place. Near as I can tell, TVT hassn't taken advantage of any of the license-identification work that I've been doing for ATT,.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Quote:Fingers crossed that they've realized there's no money available in suing somebody who doesn't have any income.

That usually isn't a factor in their decisions on who to sue, from what I understand.

I will admit to having much the same potential schadenfreude regarding TVT.
-- Bob

Topic change. There's a trope in the final speech bubble of this web comic - but which trope?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Edge cases are annoying.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Looking for opinions again... Stalker with a Crush/Image Links. I'm thinking none of these images adequately illustrate the trope to someone who has no context for them. Looking to see if I'm alone in this or not.
-- Bob

Let's see...

*  [[Retsupurae]]'s [[media:47243853.jpg|stalker]]
** [[JAFAAC]]? "Crush", yes. "Stalker"... who knows?

* [[Full Metal Panic!|Sousuke]]'s [[media:gauron_profile.jpg|stalker]]
** [[JAFAAC]]

* [[media:stalkereva.jpg|Eva Heinemann]] from ''[[Monster (manga)|Monster]]''
** [[JAFAAC]]? "Crush", yes. "Stalker"... who knows?

* [[media:alma-fear.jpg|Alma]] from ''[[First Encounter Assault Recon]]''
** [[JAFAAC]]

* [[media:7nightspiclololol.png|She's]] [[Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei|right behind him.]] ([[Catch Phrase|Always]]).
** [[JAFAAC]]? She looks like she's shy, not stalking or crushing.

* [[Perfect Blue|Mima]]'s [[media:me-mania_5117.jpg|stalker]]
** [[JAFAAC]]

* [http://www.deviantart.com/#/d3cg8bl\] a kitty stalker!
** {{dead link}}

* [http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e155/t...et43p4.jpg Brotherrrrr...let's get marriedmarriedmarried...]
** [[JAFAAC]]? "Crush", yes. "Stalker"... who knows? Also, {{context|reason=What work is this from?}}

* [[media:ekfklf3kjl_9440.jpg|Panini]] stalking [[Chowder]]
** Finally, an indisputable example of the trope!

So... one actual example out of nine entries.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
In that case, time for a purge. Interestingly, I thought the first image just might barely qualify, but not the last. But I will trust your judgment.

EDIT: Ignore that... I appear to have not followed the last link at all when I first looked at the page, otherwise I would have agreed with you. Wonder how I did that...
-- Bob

I've completed adding infoboxes to the books sorted through to the 1970s.

363 works need Elevator Pitches.

449 works need Central Themes.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
On the off-chance somebody's looking for a project, these pages might need "infobox episode" added (depending on whether they're episodes of something).

See here for an example of a completed episode infobox - the only thing that page's infobox is missing is the original airdate.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I left this edit in the moderation queue. What's our policy on pointing links at Wikipedia for works that we don't have pages for?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
There's a whole bunch of edits by "Cwf1997" in the Moderation queue. Could somebody check them against TV Tropes, please?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-16-2021, 07:15 AM)robkelk Wrote: There's a whole bunch of edits by "Cwf1997" in the Moderation queue. Could somebody check them against TV Tropes, please?

I've approved them anyway - the queue was getting too long.

I seem to recall that somebody was worried about updates to ATT being copied over to TVT without attribution. Is this still a concern?

Because, if it is, we should create a page for George P. Burdell, based on what his Wikipedia page says he's accomplished, and see what happens. Of course, anybody clicking through our page to his Wikipedia page will see why they shouldn't copy the ATT page over to TVT...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown