Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XX
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XX
(05-21-2021, 07:17 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: <nod>  I'll do that this morning.

EDIT:  What do you know, he actually has slowed down.  He's left ten only edits including one new page in the queue, and other than the new page (which he added at 7PM last night my time), all the rest were from between 4:00 and 5:30 PM yesterday.  So... no second warning, yet.

Gentlemen, I goofed. I went to check the Moderation panel and accidentally clicked Reject all on all their pending edits while looking at the list. This was an honest mistake, but the fault is mine.

I left them an apology for my error on that score, as this was a goof due to my butter-fingered mouse usage, and I own that.
Update: As of this posting, we have 15,754 files that need license information, 15,753 of which came from TV Tropes.

The other one is 404, and was originally uploaded by Labster to illustrate the page "Arlen Theory"; please re-upload it and provide a license for the wiki to use it under.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Geth, either he didn't notice (despite your post on his talk page) or he doesn't care. He just keeps rolling along without comment.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(05-22-2021, 05:54 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Geth, either he didn't notice (despite your post on his talk page) or he doesn't care. He just keeps rolling along without comment.

As I already mentioned,

(05-20-2021, 09:39 PM)robkelk Wrote: All The Tropes:How We Do Bans Around Here says "Disagreeing with a mod is okay; ignoring the mods altogether isn't. We want to talk with you, not to you."

Time for a tempban. I'll drop the hammer. EDIT: And done.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It only took 40 minutes to get a reply. And five more for me to notice and lift the block...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, it's been a month since I made this post in the immediately-previous thread. And I PMed the relevant person about it after the fact.

The searches that I'm able to carry out indicate that this is literally the only page in the File namespace that doesn't list a license of some sort.

Brent, do you still have a copy of this image, or should I just delete the description page for the 404 file on ATT and remove the reference to the file on the "Arlen Theory" page?

Today is Thursday; please reply before Saturday.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
You can delete the page. I don't have a copy of the image, or if I do I can't find it. I think it may have been a screencapture of a previous edit, but I can't recall exactly what it was. I honestly couldn't recall making the page.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Done, and thank you.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm looking at the brand-new trope candidate in the Trope Workshop.

Is it too soon to ask whether it's launchable? It's been up for almost four hours, as I post this.

(No joke. It's that good.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm okay with it. In fact, when I added my own example (now rolled into a new, larger one) to it, I was wondering if I'd been overlooking it for a while, it was so clearly ready to launch.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(05-28-2021, 08:07 AM)robkelk Wrote: I'm looking at the brand-new trope candidate in the Trope Workshop.

Is it too soon to ask whether it's launchable? It's been up for almost four hours, as I post this.

(No joke. It's that good.)

(05-28-2021, 11:45 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I'm okay with it. In fact, when I added my own example (now rolled into a new, larger one) to it, I was wondering if I'd been overlooking it for a while, it was so clearly ready to launch.

I just asked the $64 question.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And the trope's launched now.

I just gave the trope's writer, Utini501, the right to upload images to the wiki. I'm surprised we didn't do this sooner.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I have good news.

While we still get lame-brained morons on our FANDOM branch doing drive-by plagiarism every so often (cause they are fools), my new assistant moderator is working out nicely keeping that under control, and we have enough responsible editors on hand to keep things looking good and properly formatted.
Miraheze has been forced to change its IRC channels from Freenode to Libera Chat. According to Umbire the Phantom, here:
Quote:You can find the (literal) gist of it here - Miraheze was effectively forced off Freenode along with several other channels and communities for even mentioning Libera, which was established by ex-freenode staff who all resigned en masse after Andrew Lee moved to take over the network.

Banned for mentioning the fork. Fast Eddie would be proud.

Our online IRC chat still points at Freenode, and "All The Tropes:Contact us", "All The Tropes:IRC", and "All The Tropes:Bureaucrats" all mention that service. Do we really want to send any traffic their way, as a matter of principle?

EDIT: More broadly, does anybody at ATT actually use IRC? I was under the impression that the traffic had migrated to Discord - if that's true, maybe we should just do a controlled shutdown of the IRC channels altogether.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Since "All The Tropes:Bureaucrats" simply mentioned the existence of the Miraheze IRC channels, I've replaced the specifics that were there with a link to the list of IRC channels on Meta. They're their channels - let them maintain the list

As fr the rest, I have started a forum thread requesting community guidance.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I've added eight-and-a-third examples to Trope Workshop:Wants the Work Done for Them. TBeholder added the other two-thirds of an example.

One more example and we can launch it, right?

I'm not asking for somebody to do the work for me - I've done most of the work already. I'm just looking for a bit of Wiki Magic. And we do want to reduce the number of trope candidates...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-29-2021, 04:03 PM)robkelk Wrote: Miraheze has been forced to change its IRC channels from Freenode to Libera Chat. According to Umbire the Phantom, here:
Quote:You can find the (literal) gist of it here - Miraheze was effectively forced off Freenode along with several other channels and communities for even mentioning Libera, which was established by ex-freenode staff who all resigned en masse after Andrew Lee moved to take over the network.

Banned for mentioning the fork. Fast Eddie would be proud.

Our online IRC chat still points at Freenode, and "All The Tropes:Contact us", "All The Tropes:IRC", and "All The Tropes:Bureaucrats" all mention that service. Do we really want to send any traffic their way, as a matter of principle?

EDIT: More broadly, does anybody at ATT actually use IRC? I was under the impression that the traffic had migrated to Discord - if that's true, maybe we should just do a controlled shutdown of the IRC channels altogether.

If The Register is to be believed - and I see no reason why they shouldn't be believed, they're quite reliable - Freenode is, if not dead, then on life support. Almost nobody's using it now.
Quote:Lee himself blames the “cancel culture mob who has actively infiltrated major FOSS projects,” a statement that currently defies analysis by the finest minds in linguistics.

And the straw poll on the forum shows no votes against moving.

Special:WebChat and All The Tropes:IRC need to be updated by somebody who knows what he's doing - so, either GethN7 or Labster.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just a little something I want to link because it discusses whether people want to touch TVT versus us or not in recent day:

https://allthetropes.fandom.com/f/p/4400...0000094101

Now, first DocColress has his two cents, saying the .org ATT he's never going back to ever again while he's cool with TVT as it is now (not so much back when Eddie ran it). Amusingly, he says the .org has become just as bad as TVT used to be (I assume a large part of that is lingering resentment from being kicked off the island), and frankly, if I could implement the same curation our .org does, I would, I'm just hamstrung by how Wikia works technically in that regard, so our FANDOM branch isn't so much as nice as he thinks as I just don't have the means to clone every aspect of the .org to that (which I would in a heartbeat). Nothing personal against him, but I like how the .org works, warts and all.

Note: There are a few annoying filters I have to deal with on FANDOM, like certain links are verboten due to fears of promoting illegal acts or pimping spam, and any article with the N-Word got all examples of said word censored, but this last one is because trolls had to ruin things by spamming it all over until they added the filters to keep those scum at bay for acting like savages. That said, I'll gag down my annoyance with that because they've tried to make sure content remains despite the filters wherever possible.

The other comments are generally apathy to TV Tropes and the familiar complaint we are better but need more content, for which the fix is obvious.

I posted a comment there, but want to add something here.

Frankly, TV Tropes has gone to pot even without Eddie at the helm. The censor machine is still going strong there and they have let their political and social bugaboos seep into a ton of articles (which I'm proud to say we at ATT have made a point to avoid) because objectivity seems to go out the window when the TVT hivemind agrees on certain positions. Worst of all, they still have a wiki engine I couldn't be paid to ever want to seriously touch ever again and I refuse to remove my ad blocker no matter how much they beg because without it TVT has ground to a halt on my browser before.
ATT needs more content? Hey, we have a new trope candidate waiting for a third vote to launch right now...

Speaking of trope candidates, I don't want to push my own... Is it ready to launch now, with the replacement name? (Yes, it's another case of "Utini501 touched it and it's suddenly become launchable".)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
a) Irony strikes, and b) when I get to ATT this morning I'll check it out.
-- Bob

Just finished deleting "recap" pages that have been tagged as needing recaps for over a year.

And the only reason I stopped there was because I have to go do stuff I'm being paid to do.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And we just had an attack of the 502s for the first time in quite a while...

Meanwhile, I was intending to raise the question of promoting some of our newer users to autopatrolled/automoderated etc.:

GentlemensDame883 for one I think deserves it.

Ajacraig2011 has been contributing for almost six months now with no issues that I recall.

I suppose Cwf1997 should get it, even though I have reservations about his ability to write in English.

Am I forgetting anyone?
-- Bob

Agreed on all three recommendations, including the caveat on the third.

I can't think of any others at the moment.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And done.

If we've forgotten anyone they should show up soon enough in Recent Changes and we can fix it then.
-- Bob

Just noticed that two of the Bureaucrats didn't have all of the permission groups that the other two had. This is now fixed - all Bureaucrats have the same permissions now,.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown