Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XX
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XX
(07-09-2021, 02:22 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I'll need to register after I get back from vacation tomorrow; I don't appear to be able to do so on the tablet I'm using.

Feel free to take your time, Bob, this isn't super high priority.

Also, back on the Lua topic, I did a bit of checking, and frankly, it worries me just how much we are dependent on it.

That said, they are remarkably efficient, and our current Tropes, Works, and Creator templates are miles above what we had prior in terms of function. Regardless, I believe we might wish to replace our dependence on Lua or at the very least have non-Lua backups for as much as possible since if Lua ever fails us, ATT would be absolutely crippled if we have no alternatives.

If we ever have traffic on par with Wikipedia (so far we don't have but a mere fraction at best), then Lua-only seems sane enough, given it was designed to scale for wikis of their size admirably, but for our needs, I'd prefer we not lean on it so much where we don't have to in case Lua dies for some reason due to a server/extension/configuration issue.

Since Brent was instrumental in making the templates I mentioned we use the most that rely on Lua to be as efficient as they are, I'd like to invite him to comment, I could be wrong on this topic, he knows more than I do in some regards and I'll defer to his views on this. That said, Lua (especially paired with the Variables extension) are not IMMEDIATE problems, but I'm concerned they could break down the road and a sizable portion of our entire content base would be crippled if we have no fallback plan. I hope I don't sound like a worrywart, but after watching the years of TV Tropes using hacks and fixes to one problem that caused five more elsewhere, I want our wiki to have as much uptime as possible outside of server issues beyond our control.

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XX - by GethN7 - 07-09-2021, 04:39 PM