Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XX
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XX
Quote:Back on the bot policy, while I doubt it will ever be needed for the "constantly running" bots, given those will provide services we find indispensable (like InternetArchiveBot), should we include a "staff reserve the right to ask a bot cease for any reason" clause? Again, not sure we need to, but it's the only other possible thing that we might want to include for some unforeseen edge case.

That seems reasonable. Better to have the option and all.

Quote:Also, I was thinking, given bot jobs will not be THAT regular, we should have two pages: one listing constantly running bots, the services provided and by whom, and the other for "as needed" jobs with the same information, and started and finished date. While the MW logs will have timestamps, this will serve as a backup to those logs with all the information on the job done and when at our fingertips. I propose they be established in the All The Tropes namespace as main pages in said space, not talk pages, which each job's info separated by section headings. Further, in the event we need to archive any page, we can simply do so for the "as needed" pages, given it's likely to require it at some point in the future.

Agreed. So just to make sure I have things straight, we're talking about three separate pages now: an "I Want To Run a Bot to Do X" page, a page to document all the existing repeating bots that do maintenance tasks, and a third page to log the actions of one-off bots, correct?

Quote:I further propose the basic layout for a bot job form (for as-needed bot jobs): ... We could even make a new boilerplate template for this if required.

Look reasonable. Are we talking a single page for all bot proposals, or a set of subpages under a subject page?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....

Messages In This Thread
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XX - by Bob Schroeck - 07-15-2021, 07:29 AM