Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"That One Boss"
"That One Boss"
So I was doing my daily maintenance over at All The Tropes and when I noticed that the trope "That One Boss" had game-specific subpages I ended up wondering which bosses in COX would count as "that one boss".  For those who don't want to bother looking it up on the wiki, the core of the trope is:

Quote:And then, there's That One Boss, the boss that falls victim to poor playtesting. You're levelling up normally, plowing through every battle, until you reach this particular battle and suddenly meet a plethora of Game Over screens. Eventually, you Rage Quit, or you go on the Internet looking for assistance. In the event that you stop by the game's message board, lo and behold, everyone else is having the exact same problem, with entire topics asking "how do I beat That One Boss?". Walkthroughs usually list the worst offenders as "the hardest boss in the game", and eventually, such a beast receives a reputation for being just that freaking hard.

So... honestly, over the years, the community gets better and better at dealing with the various villains and archvillains, but I would say that when the Imperius Task Force was first released and for at least a year afterward, Romulus was such a boss.  I'm sure there have been and/or are others.

What was -- or is -- "That One Boss" for you?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: "That One Boss"
I'd say for me pre sunset when I was still playing Terr as an Invulnerability tank..just about any PSI AV had my number without uh..very liberal application of Oranges.
Recluse at the end of the STF is still pretty qualifying, I think. You need a burst healer and a powerful tank just to hold him long enough for your buddies to take out a tower, and if they screw up the order or aren't fast enough, he can snowball quick, even with Incarnate buffs.

Beyond him, Battle Maiden is still pretty rough, though more due to the wonky way that her fire patches interact with height (since they can target a flier and set the area "under" themselves to turn into a burn column that's invisible at ground level). It's more a limitation of the game engine's age than anything.

The Jade Spider is also pretty brutal for wide ranging Psi attacks and also being the size of a building, making attacking the hitbox difficult for melee types without jetpacks. I remember having to spam a lot of purples to just dodge the outgoing damage
I forgot bout the Jade spider. Must be a repressed memory Big Grin
I only did the storyline with the Jade Spider once, to the best of my recollection. I think that was enough...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I don't think there was any ONE boss... I was always too busy learning the taste of all the various floors.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Quote:Battle Maiden is still pretty rough

Rough but not "that one boss" levels for me. Evangelia has fast enough animations, usually, and lots of horizontal movement on her leaps that BM's blue patches rarely catch her, and Eva does enough damage to visibly decrement her HP bar with a single hit -- my usual tactic is to get up in her face when she's not running away, and hop like a maniac along the edges of the zone when the blue patches appear.
-- Bob