Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXI
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXI
(08-24-2021, 09:51 PM)LulzKiller Wrote: This is where I confirm I didn't mess up using that new template, in this new article here.

Excellent work, and thanks.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Oh, yes... collapsable infoboxes exist for a reason. At least, they exist on Wikipedia. What do we need to do to make our infoboxes collapsable?

Asking because the infoboxes on Gandhi (film) now take up more of the page than the article and tropelist put together do.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I knew that once... let me check...

Right -- the "State" parameter: 
Quote:state* [autocollapse, uncollapsed, collapsed, plain, off]
  • Defaults to autocollapse. A navbox with autocollapse will start out collapsed if there are two or more tables on the same page that use other collapsible tables. Otherwise, the navbox will be expanded. For the technically minded, see MediaWiki:Common.js.
  • If set to collapsed, the navbox will always start out in a collapsed state.
  • If set to plain, the navbox will always be expanded with no [hide] link on the right, and the title will remain centered (by using padding to offset the v • d • e links).
  • If set to off, the navbox will always be expanded with no [hide] link on the right, but no padding will be used to keep the title centered. This is for advanced use only; the "plain" option should suffice for most applications where the [show]/[hide] button needs to be hidden.
  • If set to anything other than autocollapse, collapsed, plain, or off (such as "uncollapsed"), the navbox will always start out in an expanded state, but have the "hide" button.
To show the box when standalone (non-included) but then auto-hide contents when in an article, put "uncollapsed" inside <noinclude> tags:
  • state = <noinclude>uncollapsed</noinclude>
  • That setting will force the box visible when standalone (even when followed by other boxes), displaying "[hide]" but then auto-collapse the box when stacked inside an article.
Often times, editors will want a default initial state for a navbox, which may be overridden in an article. Here is the trick to do this:
  • In your intermediate template, create a parameter also named "state" as a pass-through like this:
  • | state = {{{state<includeonly>|your_desired_initial_state</includeonly>}}}
  • The <includeonly>| will make the template expanded when viewing the template page by itself.

(From here. This also appears in Navbox/doc when you view the template on the wiki.)

Our navbox template seems to be defaulting to plain instead of autocollapse.

EDIT: I think we can use that last bit of info in the doc above to modify our local Template:Navbox? At the very least we can manually add state=autocollapse to the templates we create ourselves.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(08-25-2021, 07:18 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I knew that once... let me check...

• Defaults to autocollapse. A navbox with autocollapse will start out collapsed if there are two or more tables on the same page that use other collapsible tables. Otherwise, the navbox will be expanded. For the technically minded, see MediaWiki:Common.js.
  • If set to plain, the navbox will always be expanded with no [hide] link on the right, and the title will remain centered (by using padding to offset the v • d • e links).
  • If set to off, the navbox will always be expanded with no [hide] link on the right, but no padding will be used to keep the title centered. This is for advanced use only; the "plain" option should suffice for most applications where the [show]/[hide] button needs to be hidden.
  • If set to anything other than autocollapse, collapsed, plain, or off (such as "uncollapsed"), the navbox will always start out in an expanded state, but have the "hide" button.
To show the box when standalone (non-included) but then auto-hide contents when in an article, put "uncollapsed" inside <noinclude> tags:
  • That setting will force the box visible when standalone (even when followed by other boxes), displaying "[hide]" but then auto-collapse the box when stacked inside an article.
Often times, editors will want a default initial state for a navbox, which may be overridden in an article. Here is the trick to do this:
  • In your intermediate template, create a parameter also named "state" as a pass-through like this:
  • The <includeonly>| will make the template expanded when viewing the template page by itself.

(From here.  This also appears in Navbox/doc when you view the template on the wiki.)

EDIT:  I think we can use that last bit of info in the doc above to modify our local Template:Navbox?  At the very least we can manually add state=autocollapse to the templates we create ourselves.
possible code from WP:
Code:
/**
     * Add support to mw-collapsible for autocollapse, innercollapse and outercollapse
     * Maintainers: TheDJ
     */
    function mwCollapsibleSetup( $collapsibleContent ) {
        var $element,
            $toggle,
            autoCollapseThreshold = 2;
        $.each( $collapsibleContent, function ( index, element ) {
            $element = $( element );
            if ( $element.hasClass( 'collapsible' ) ) {
                $element.find( 'tr:first > th:first' ).prepend( $element.find( 'tr:first > * > .mw-collapsible-toggle' ) );
            }
            if ( $collapsibleContent.length >= autoCollapseThreshold && $element.hasClass( 'autocollapse' ) ) {
                $element.data( 'mw-collapsible' ).collapse();
            } else if ( $element.hasClass( 'innercollapse' ) ) {
                if ( $element.parents( '.outercollapse' ).length > 0 ) {
                }
            }
            // because of colored backgrounds, style the link in the text color
            // to ensure accessible contrast
            $toggle = $element.find( '.mw-collapsible-toggle' );
            if ( $toggle.length ) {
                // Make the toggle inherit text color
                if ( $toggle.parent()[ 0 ].style.color ) {
                    $toggle.find( 'a' ).css( 'color', 'inherit' );
                }
            }
        } );
    }
The new navbox is on the "Heroes" pages now. Of course, this means that all of the redlinks in the navbox are now on 49 more pages than they were on at this time yesterday... and they'll be on another four-dozen or so more pages one the navbox is added to the "villains" pages.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-25-2021, 07:28 AM)LulzKiller Wrote:
(08-25-2021, 07:18 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I knew that once... let me check...

(From here.  This also appears in Navbox/doc when you view the template on the wiki.)

EDIT:  I think we can use that last bit of info in the doc above to modify our local Template:Navbox?  At the very least we can manually add state=autocollapse to the templates we create ourselves.
possible code from WP:
Code:
/**
* Add support to mw-collapsible for autocollapse, innercollapse and outercollapse
* Maintainers: TheDJ
*/
function mwCollapsibleSetup( $collapsibleContent ) {
var $element,
$toggle,
autoCollapseThreshold = 2;
$.each( $collapsibleContent, function ( index, element ) {
$element = $( element );
if ( $element.hasClass( 'collapsible' ) ) {
$element.find( 'tr:first > th:first' ).prepend( $element.find( 'tr:first > * > .mw-collapsible-toggle' ) );
}
if ( $collapsibleContent.length >= autoCollapseThreshold && $element.hasClass( 'autocollapse' ) ) {
} else if ( $element.hasClass( 'innercollapse' ) ) {
if ( $element.parents( '.outercollapse' ).length > 0 ) {
}
}
// because of colored backgrounds, style the link in the text color
// to ensure accessible contrast
$toggle = $element.find( '.mw-collapsible-toggle' );
if ( $toggle.length ) {
// Make the toggle inherit text color
if ( $toggle.parent()[ 0 ].style.color ) {
$toggle.find( 'a' ).css( 'color', 'inherit' );
}
}
} );
}

It would probably be safer (and easier) just to copy over the current version of template:infobox from Wikipedia. Could somebody with a few free cycles do that, please?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-25-2021, 07:48 AM)robkelk Wrote: The new navbox is on the "Heroes" pages now. Of course, this means that all of the redlinks in the navbox are now on 49 more pages than they were on at this time yesterday... and they'll be on another four-dozen or so more pages one the navbox is added to the "villains" pages.

Apparently there are 3 "tarzan the ape man" varients, with the article we need being the 1932 version.
(08-25-2021, 07:53 AM)LulzKiller Wrote:
(08-25-2021, 07:48 AM)robkelk Wrote: The new navbox is on the "Heroes" pages now. Of course, this means that all of the redlinks in the navbox are now on 49 more pages than they were on at this time yesterday... and they'll be on another four-dozen or so more pages one the navbox is added to the "villains" pages.

Apparently there are 3 "tarzan the ape man" varients, with the article we need being the 1932 version.

I'm assuming it's the 1932 version - that's the one that I coded into the navbox - because that's the version with the highest rating on IMDB. (The 1932 version was rated 7/10; the other two were rated below 5/10.) I could be wrong.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-25-2021, 07:56 AM)robkelk Wrote:

I'm assuming it's the 1932 version - that's the one that I coded into the navbox - because that's the version with the highest rating on IMDB. (The 1932 version was rated 7/10; the other two were rated below 5/10.) I could be wrong.

That's what the WP page of the 100 heroes/villains says it is.
Just a heads-up in the middle of the technical issues:

Norm Atreides' ban ends tomorrow.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(08-25-2021, 10:44 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Just a heads-up in the middle of the technical issues:

Norm Atreides' ban ends tomorrow.

I'm sure Geth as Probation Officer can handle it.
Back on the subject of navboxes, I went to check a few of the navbox templates I've created over the past few years, and I note that they all have "state = uncollapsed". I've tried changing that to autocollapse, but I still don't get a "Hide" option when they're displayed on a page, even after purging everything to make sure I'm seeing the latest versions.
-- Bob

(08-25-2021, 08:11 AM)LulzKiller Wrote:

Any idea which version of Cape Fear they were referencing? The navbox points at the disambiguation page at the moment.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-25-2021, 01:02 PM)robkelk Wrote:

Any idea which version of Cape Fear they were referencing? The navbox points at the disambiguation page at the moment.

1962 version.

Also Mario wiki has the same license, which means we can create articles using their leads, I've done so for a game I'm currently playing right now, let me know if I messed up something on it.
(08-25-2021, 01:15 PM)LulzKiller Wrote:
(08-25-2021, 01:02 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(08-25-2021, 07:53 AM)LulzKiller Wrote: Apparently there are 3 "tarzan the ape man" varients, with the article we need being the 1932 version.

1962 version.

Also Mario wiki has the same license, which means we can create articles using their leads, I've done so for a game I'm currently playing right now, let me know if I messed up something on it.

Thanks. The "100 Years... 100 Heroes and Villains" navbox is now on all of the related pages.

I'm not somebody to ask about video games, alas.

(08-24-2021, 09:20 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 08:44 PM)robkelk Wrote: Change of topic: Now that I've made this, I'm debating whether to roll it out. I've already added it to "The Hero" and "Villains" - should I add it to the pages that it links to?

(Why make it if I wasn't sure whether to use it? It seemed like a good idea at the time...)

If you want to put in the effort, sure. I've done my share of boxes like that -- although not on that scale -- and I'm of the opinion that it's the kind of feature that gives us an advantage over our competition.

In that case, have another navbox. Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, thankee kindly.

Meanwhile, another heads up. Geth's already run into this guy, and I pinged everyone on my post on his page, but I wanted to let everyone know here about a new user going by "Tingwacky9" who tried to create a one-sentence work page for an alleged Canadian cartoon that doesn't seem to exist. In the course of doing a little background research, I found he got himself bounced permanently from TVT in April for contributions that were so illiterate they considered them yea-close to vandalism. Which pretty much describes what he tried to post to us.
-- Bob

[Image: D4gJfQYVUAIiNYI.png]

What trope would this Bob Dylan reference come under? also potentially the fact the wind is forcing them to grab on for dear life?
(08-25-2021, 03:34 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Well, thankee kindly.

Meanwhile, another heads up.  Geth's already run into this guy, and I pinged everyone on my post on his page, but I wanted to let everyone know here about a new user going by "Tingwacky9" who tried to create a one-sentence work page for an alleged Canadian cartoon that doesn't seem to exist.  In the course of doing a little background research, I found he got himself bounced permanently from TVT in April for contributions that were so illiterate they considered them yea-close to vandalism.  Which pretty much describes what he tried to post to us.

So, it was supposedly a "Canadian cartoon", was it? Well, the National Film Board of Canada has never heard of it, so it wasn't government work. And nothing turns up when I try to search Library and Archives Canada for it, so there's no copy on file for copyright purposes. DuckDuckGo and IMDB have never heard of it, either.

I've told this guy that he's officially On Notice now.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-25-2021, 03:53 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(08-25-2021, 03:34 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Well, thankee kindly.

Meanwhile, another heads up.  Geth's already run into this guy, and I pinged everyone on my post on his page, but I wanted to let everyone know here about a new user going by "Tingwacky9" who tried to create a one-sentence work page for an alleged Canadian cartoon that doesn't seem to exist.  In the course of doing a little background research, I found he got himself bounced permanently from TVT in April for contributions that were so illiterate they considered them yea-close to vandalism.  Which pretty much describes what he tried to post to us.

So, it was supposedly a "Canadian cartoon", was it? Well, the National Film Board of Canada has never heard of it, so it wasn't government work. And nothing turns up when I try to search Library and Archives Canada for it, so there's no copy on file for copyright purposes. DuckDuckGo and IMDB have never heard of it, either.

I've told this guy that he's officially On Notice now.

Oy, sounds like one of those people I had to deal with on FANDOM who wanted to shill their headcanon as real and who often clog up FANDOM with wikis on things that only exist in their heads and wants to wish it into existence through sheer stubbornness. If they keep going, I say permaban, most of the time, these types more often then not are, and I'm not trying to be insulting here, literally mentally handicapped, do not understand the word "no", and may be in their mid-thirties but still be mentally no older than 5-8 years old at best, so any attempt to teach them rules will be absolutely pointless.
(08-25-2021, 01:15 PM)LulzKiller Wrote: Also Mario wiki has the same license, which means we can create articles using their leads, I've done so for a game I'm currently playing right now, let me know if I messed up something on it.

FWIW, I did Super Mario Maker 2 using MarioWiki stuff as a springboard, so yeah it should be fine.
(08-26-2021, 05:20 PM)Umbire Wrote:
(08-25-2021, 01:15 PM)LulzKiller Wrote: Also Mario wiki has the same license, which means we can create articles using their leads, I've done so for a game I'm currently playing right now, let me know if I messed up something on it.

FWIW, I did Super Mario Maker 2 using MarioWiki stuff as a springboard, so yeah it should be fine.

Do you have any idea what trope the previous image I posted here would fall under per Mario + Rabbids.
(08-26-2021, 07:37 PM)LulzKiller Wrote:
(08-26-2021, 05:20 PM)Umbire Wrote:

Do you have any idea what trope the previous image I posted here would fall under per Mario + Rabbids.

Couldn't tell you.
Cleaned Historical Fiction into the category.
Ursula Andress in Dr. No.
Halle Berry in Die Another Day.
Daniel Craig in Casino Royale.
Heather Graham in Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me.

Somebody walks out of the water, providing Fan Service.

What do we call this trope? (I know what Wikipedia calls it.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
All The Tropes:Things that need fixing lists "Find all broken links to off-site images/media. Once we have this list they can be fixed manually, either by removal, hosting locally, or redirecting to whatever new location they live at. " under Definite bot jobs.

Category:Broken image markup has 323 broken images listed, as of this posting.

Who wants to take on this particular bot job? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown