Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXI
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXI
I don't see any issue with you making the proposal, it was a reasonable one.
(08-18-2021, 07:15 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: After sleeping on it, I have to agree that professional sports is better placed under real life, as it's not a medium itself.  My apologies for imposing a systematic error on the wiki in the last couple weeks.

Reasonable to me too. And no worries, glad we hashed this out before it became a major problem.
(08-18-2021, 11:29 AM)GethN7 Wrote:
(08-18-2021, 07:15 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: After sleeping on it, I have to agree that professional sports is better placed under real life, as it's not a medium itself.  My apologies for imposing a systematic error on the wiki in the last couple weeks.

Reasonable to me too. And no worries, glad we hashed this out before it became a major problem.

Thanks, folks. And, yes, it is a good thing to figure out what the rules are ... before we break them on purpose Smile
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
A new user has added an Iranian director article to the site, sourced from WP, approved because nothing looks wrong beyond it being a stub. Naturally more observance needed.
Geth, where is the duplicated content of Super Robot Wars 3, I can't seen to find it.
(08-18-2021, 10:09 PM)LulzKiller Wrote: A new user has added an Iranian director article to the site, sourced from WP, approved because nothing looks wrong beyond it being a stub. Naturally more observance needed.

While we're on the topic, new user Heart's been single-mindedly fleshing out an entire suite of pages on an online personality who goes by the name "Mister Metokur". Given that Metokur sounds like a thoroughly unpleasant person, I feel like we should keep an eye on both those pages and Heart.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Me and Geth know who Metokur is, he was big during the whole GG thing and had his own personal set of antics which made him a very divisive figure, a lot less relevant today of course.

Naturally Heart appears to be a fan, which is not inherently wrong, but deserves monitoring in case he goes beyond the bounds.
To Lulzkiller: Already removed the duplicate content. There were some pages on "The 3rd Super Robot Wars" duplicating "Super Robot Wars 3" page content, defaulted it all to the name Wikipedia uses to eliminate redundancy

The former pages were likely an over-literal translation of "Dai-ji 3rd Super Robot Taisen" (the original Japanese name).

To LT: Yeah, Heart is troping someone who is pretty divisive but a legit media creator. Deserves a watch to make sure they stay within the bounds of keeping things objective, but the creator is legit if very controversial.
(08-19-2021, 08:52 AM)GethN7 Wrote: To Lulzkiller: Already removed the duplicate content. There were some pages on "The 3rd Super Robot Wars" duplicating "Super Robot Wars 3" page content, defaulted it all to the name Wikipedia uses to eliminate redundancy

The former pages were likely an over-literal translation of "Dai-ji 3rd Super Robot Taisen" (the original Japanese name).

To LT: Yeah, Heart is troping someone who is pretty divisive but a legit media creator. Deserves a watch to make sure they stay within the bounds of keeping things objective, but the creator is legit if very controversial.

The reason I'm asking is that there's a broken redirect called Super Robot Wars 3, which you deleted and has hundreds of links directing to it, where do I fix it to?
Also there's a bug on broken redirects where it redirects you to the equivalent wikimedia commons article.
EmberFist has dumped another 4.5K edit into moderation. I only took a quick look at the first few changes in it, but they've undone at least a few of the fixes for run-on sentences and spelling.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(08-19-2021, 10:06 AM)LulzKiller Wrote:
(08-19-2021, 08:52 AM)GethN7 Wrote: To Lulzkiller: Already removed the duplicate content. There were some pages on "The 3rd Super Robot Wars" duplicating "Super Robot Wars 3" page content, defaulted it all to the name Wikipedia uses to eliminate redundancy

The reason I'm asking is that there's a broken redirect called Super Robot Wars 3, which you deleted and has hundreds of links directing to it, where do I fix it to?

Ok, double goof on my part. Turns out Wikipedia does use the 3rd Super Robot Wars title, and the broken redirect was due to some issues with my bot I had to revert. Restored that to what it should be. The former issue is because most later SRW games have the titles rendered in more conventional English phrasing, so yeah, confusion and goof on my part compounded by me accidentally creating a broken redirect what should have been a legit page, much obliged for noticing that.

As for Bob's comment on Emberfist, they need a rap on the knuckles. If they think they can undo grammar cleanup just because they don't like it, then they are sorely mistaken.

And done:

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:Wexyo4b271hmtwsa
Changing gears because Lulzkiller brought up an issue with interwiki links and our own internal links:

For example, this for the C (anime), using its formal title:

In ''[[C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control]]'', Mikuni has enough money to single-handedly shoulder Japan's national

Due to how interwiki links work, anything belonging to "C:" as the beginning of a link is determined to be a link to Wikimedia Commons. We would need to edit the interwiki link table to fix this issue. I propose we use the longer but much less likely to be an issue "commons:" interwiki link instead to sidestep the problem.

Note: Mentioning this here because any attempt to change these links without doing the above fix will just redirect to Commons and may cause issues with Commons if we accidentally save changes there.
(08-19-2021, 11:58 AM)GethN7 Wrote: Changing gears because Lulzkiller brought up an issue with interwiki links and our own internal links:

In ''[[C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control]]'', Mikuni has enough money to single-handedly shoulder Japan's national

Due to how interwiki links work, anything belonging to "C:" as the beginning of a link is determined to be a link to Wikimedia Commons. We would need to edit the interwiki link table to fix this issue. I propose we use the longer but much less likely to be an issue "commons:" interwiki link instead to sidestep the problem.

Note: Mentioning this here because any attempt to change these links without doing the above fix will just redirect to Commons and may cause issues with Commons if we accidentally save changes there.

Didn't we already take care of this a couple of years ago?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-19-2021, 11:06 AM)GethN7 Wrote: As for Bob's comment on Emberfist, they need a rap on the knuckles. If they think they can undo grammar cleanup just because they don't like it, then they are sorely mistaken.

And done:

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:Wexyo4b271hmtwsa

And turned into a by-the-book warning with the addition of pings, as long as I was there to tell EmberFist why I reverted his/her edit to "Rare Vehicles".
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-19-2021, 12:20 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(08-19-2021, 11:58 AM)GethN7 Wrote: Changing gears because Lulzkiller brought up an issue with interwiki links and our own internal links:

I don't think so.  I remember it coming up, but I don't remember any fix being made.  I second the expansion of c: to commons:.
-- Bob

(08-19-2021, 01:06 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(08-19-2021, 12:20 PM)robkelk Wrote:

I don't think so.  I remember it coming up, but I don't remember any fix being made.  I second the expansion of c: to commons:.

Editing interwiki links requires one of us grant ourselves the specific right to edit those links, they ordinarily are not editable by just anyone since that has wiki wide implications. If no one else wants to do so, I can, but any staff member may edit them after granting themselves the appropriate rights.

I also made a little shorthand template for pinging all admins (will need to be updated whenever the admin staff changes, but that's all) that can be called with {{admins}} to save having to ping everyone by hand.
Oh, cool. I mean, I keep all my CC's like that in a file that I just open and copy from, but that's more convenient.
-- Bob

(08-19-2021, 07:30 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Oh, cool.  I mean, I keep all my CC's like that in a file that I just open and copy from, but that's more convenient.

Glad it helps.

Also, oddly, there is no option in the Manage wiki permissions to allow any of us to edit interwiki links, we'll need to file a Phabricator for that.

More info here:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Interwiki
When I asked "Didn't we already take care of this a couple of years ago?", I meant "Didn't we already change the name on the work page a couple of years ago?", not "Didn't we already break interwiki operability a couple of years ago?"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-20-2021, 05:48 AM)robkelk Wrote: When I asked "Didn't we already take care of this a couple of years ago?", I meant "Didn't we already change the name on the work page a couple of years ago?", not "Didn't we already break interwiki operability a couple of years ago?"

Ironically, Wikipedia has a different name than we do, now that you mention it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_(TV_series)
Maybe we should, as we often do, follow their lead here...
-- Bob

(08-20-2021, 07:20 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Maybe we should, as we often do, follow their lead here...

Done.
Hmmmmm...

"Stargate City" redirects to "Vancouver".

"Big Applesauce" does not redirect to "New York City".

Which approach do we want to take when a big city appears in fiction - a page for the city and a separate page for its appearances in works, or a single page covering both?

We should be consistent.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(08-21-2021, 09:36 AM)robkelk Wrote: Hmmmmm...

"Stargate City" redirects to "Vancouver".

"Big Applesauce" does not redirect to "New York City".

Which approach do we want to take when a big city appears in fiction - a page for the city and a separate page for its appearances in works, or a single page covering both?

We should be consistent.

How about we combine the two? We can use TabberNeue to put the genuine Useful Notes with the real facts as a transclusion from the Useful Notes on one tab, and let the page otherwise cover the use in fiction. As for name, we pick the better of two names (I'd pick New York over Big Applesauce) as the main page and turn the other into a redirect.

Example

New York is the default page. The Useful Notes is going to have all the real-world facts, the main page will have the uses in fiction. With Tabber Neue, we can even allow easy access to the real world facts for easy comparison by transcluding the content of the Useful Notes page on the IRL facts tab.

More info here:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Transclusion
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Transclusion