Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odd Legal Question
RE: Odd Legal Question
(08-13-2021, 02:44 AM)GethN7 Wrote: The now late Tom Clancy, while he was a devout Catholic and held many conservative and libertarian views, freely admitted he gave the arguments of his opponents a fair hearing regardless of his own bias because he believed it was ignorant not to do so and in case he was wrong, he wanted to be armed with all the knowledge he could have so he could admit fault and readjust his own stance in case he was in error.

If he could do that, and I'm willing to do the same, does that sound fair for everyone else to do?

The problem I am having is this.

No, you are not willing to give the opposing side a fair hearing regardless of your own bias. You dig in your biases, ignore the information offered by the other side on the basis that it's a lie, and when you are finding it hard to oppose an argument you hide behind ongoing procedures and the supposition that not all information is known yet.

Basically, you want to not be convinced the opposing party has a point, and you work very hard to make sure you are not convinced.
Hazard: literally everyone does this, so what's your point?

Just a heads up to people: logic does not win arguments, storytelling wins arguments. Only very few of us have enough training to reconsider theories when evidence is found to be faulty, and we don't even do that reliably.

Geth told me he's going to take a break from the politics forum for a bit. What you all have managed to accomplish is to make someone run away. Was that what you were trying to accomplish? I guess feeling "right" about something feels good but honestly you haven't managed to convince anyone of anything.

Next time, try storytelling. Try to understand your audience, and tell a story that they are ready to hear. Take away the context, and slowly add it back in -- or just try from a different angle entirely.

Don't feel too badly about it, God had the same problems. Tried telling people what not to do several times, and they kept doing it. Eventually he told a story with Jesus that follows all of the tropes of the hero's journey, and humans paid attention more.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
(08-16-2021, 04:40 AM)Labster Wrote: Hazard: literally everyone does this, so what's your point?

Geth lies, and argues dishonestly.

And if you say 'but everyone does that', an appeal to popularity is still a fallacy, and everyone who does so is still condemnable.

(08-16-2021, 04:40 AM)Labster Wrote: Just a heads up to people: logic does not win arguments, storytelling wins arguments.  Only very few of us have enough training to reconsider theories when evidence is found to be faulty, and we don't even do that reliably.

Then apparently all the rules on making an argument are useless, given how based they are on making sure you make a logically sound argument.

And sure, I'm not one of those that is good at reconsidering a theory when evidence is faulty. I try to, but I know I do not always succeed.

Geth however claimed that not only is he good at it, he claimed that he regularly tries to see the argument from the other side, and figure out the basis on which the other side forms its arguments. Both these claims are clearly not true.

(08-16-2021, 04:40 AM)Labster Wrote: Geth told me he's going to take a break from the politics forum for a bit.  What you all have managed to accomplish is to make someone run away.  Was that what you were trying to accomplish?  I guess feeling "right" about something feels good but honestly you haven't managed to convince anyone of anything.

I was trying to make him stop arguing dishonestly. While not an optimal result, it does mean he stopped arguing here in a dishonest fashion. For a while, anyway.

(08-16-2021, 04:40 AM)Labster Wrote: Next time, try storytelling.  Try to understand your audience, and tell a story that they are ready to hear.  Take away the context, and slowly add it back in -- or just try from a different angle entirely.

The problem I face with this argument is this. To tell him a story he would be ready to hear I would have to lie. I would also have to act in a manner that would reinforce a lie that he believes.

This I refuse.

(08-16-2021, 04:40 AM)Labster Wrote: Don't feel too badly about it, God had the same problems.  Tried telling people what not to do several times, and they kept doing it.  Eventually he told a story with Jesus that follows all of the tropes of the hero's journey, and humans paid attention more.

Of all the stories you could've told me to make your point.

This is the worst of them.