Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXII
TFW a zero context example on a subpage is solved by porting an entertainment medium NF subpage entry to it.
(09-05-2021, 06:48 AM)robkelk Wrote: I've added some text to the description of Fan Convention, going from this to this. If it still needs a better description, somebody else move it to  the Trope Workshop, please.

I think the description is okay, but it should probably become a Useful Note instead of a Trope.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(09-06-2021, 08:26 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(09-05-2021, 06:48 AM)robkelk Wrote: I've added some text to the description of Fan Convention, going from this to this. If it still needs a better description, somebody else move it to  the Trope Workshop, please.

I think the description is okay, but it should probably become a Useful Note instead of a Trope.

Agreed, and made so. Thanks.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Is it my imagination, or are the descriptions for the various novels in The Dresden Files franchise copied straight off the dust jackets?

Asking before I add "infobox book" to the pages - I may as well add "cleanup" to the pages while I'm in them, if they need better descriptions.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-05-2021, 08:11 AM)robkelk Wrote: I am so tempted to paint the medium and put the first nine entries on "The Brady Bunch/Characters" into a three-by-three grid... but that might be difficult to read on a cellphone screen.

Here's what it would look like... Paint the medium, or not?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-06-2021, 04:49 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(09-05-2021, 08:11 AM)robkelk Wrote: I am so tempted to paint the medium and put the first nine entries on "The Brady Bunch/Characters" into a three-by-three grid... but that might be difficult to read on a cellphone screen.

It's clever, and it seems to adapt well to mobile, so I say go for it.
(09-06-2021, 05:09 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(09-06-2021, 04:49 PM)robkelk Wrote:

It's clever, and it seems to adapt well to mobile, so I say go for it.

It was just the "adapt well to mobile" part that I wasn't sure of. Done. And thanks.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Editing Wikivoyage today, noticed this page on that wiki, and wondered whether we should have something like it.

Obviously we can't just copy that page because we have different rules (for one thing, the two wikis' view of anonymous editing are vastly different), but it could serve as a guideline for something similar.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-08-2021, 03:52 PM)robkelk Wrote: Editing Wikivoyage today, noticed this page on that wiki, and wondered whether we should have something like it.

Obviously we can't just copy that page because we have different rules (for one thing, the two wikis' view of anonymous editing are vastly different), but it could serve as a guideline for something similar.

You mean like WP's Be Bold thing, don't we already have something like that? If we don't I have no objections to it, as long as the rules are clear bright line.

Don't want a situation where LT and the new users butt heads because the latter "boldly" took TVT content and copypasted en masse.
(09-08-2021, 06:12 PM)LulzKiller Wrote:
(09-08-2021, 03:52 PM)robkelk Wrote: Editing Wikivoyage today, noticed this page on that wiki, and wondered whether we should have something like it.

You mean like WP's Be Bold thing, don't we already have something like that? If we don't I have no objections to it, as long as the rules are clear bright line.

Don't want a situation where LT and the new users butt heads because the latter "boldly" took TVT content and copypasted en masse.

Good point. That's another reason why we can't just copy that page.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Important.

Do we make use of any third-party service (FB, IRC, etc) to disseminate content? If we do, then this story raises some questions about our legal liability.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-09-2021, 08:48 AM)robkelk Wrote: Important.

Do we make use of any third-party service (FB, IRC, etc) to disseminate content? If we do, then this story raises some questions about our legal liability.

Not really. We have a basically dead Twitter and not much else with anything remarkable. The Reddit and Ruqqus guild are dead too. So no, we're covered so far.
(09-09-2021, 12:32 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 08:48 AM)robkelk Wrote: Important.

Not really. We have a basically dead Twitter and not much else with anything remarkable. The Reddit and Ruqqus guild are dead too. So no, we're covered so far.

Also 

1) we're quite good at moderation

2) it's australia, good luck getting to enforce a judgement against us in USA or Netherlands.
Trying to run AWB on ATT again and I'm getting this error:

API returned the following error: 'The "login" module requires a POST request.'

FIXED THANKS GETH.

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/All_The_Tr...d_Bot_Jobs

Gonna be doing some disambiguation work sometimes per above link.
(09-09-2021, 10:52 PM)LulzKiller Wrote: ...

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/All_The_Tr...d_Bot_Jobs

You're rather short on technical information in that request...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(09-10-2021, 07:30 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(09-09-2021, 10:52 PM)LulzKiller Wrote: https://allthetropes.org/wiki/All_The_Tr...d_Bot_Jobs

You're rather short on technical information in that request...

Agreed.  I'd like to pay more attention to what's going on than I did the last time, and have a sense of what your bot is actually doing.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Quickly put this YT vid together with OBS to quickly demonstrate this instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4QNb4dvP1w
Well, yes, that's informative, but all we were really asking for was something like what Derivative has already put on the bot page in response to Rob.
-- Bob

Meanwhile...

Anyone have any problems with promoting Zierin705 to autopatrolled/automoderated? Almost a year and a half of history, no drama, has shown the ability to learn from mistakes and subsequent corrections by staff...
-- Bob

(09-10-2021, 03:57 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Meanwhile...

Anyone have any problems with promoting Zierin705 to autopatrolled/automoderated?  Almost a year and a half of history, no drama, has shown the ability to learn from mistakes and subsequent corrections by staff...

Works for me.
(09-10-2021, 03:57 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Meanwhile...

Anyone have any problems with promoting Zierin705 to autopatrolled/automoderated?  Almost a year and a half of history, no drama, has shown the ability to learn from mistakes and subsequent corrections by staff...

I have no idea who this user is... which is probably a good sign. No objections here.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
18 months is long enough.
And done.
-- Bob

Turns out we deleted an unused TVT file because the page referencing it had unequal brackets; restored, categorised and licensed; so that's been a nice side benefit.
(09-08-2021, 06:12 PM)LulzKiller Wrote:

ATT:BOLD
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto