Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RWBY Volume Nine
RWBY Volume Nine
Well.  I actually came across this nearly three months ago, when we were on vacation on Long Beach Island, and promptly forgot to post it here.  I don't think anyone else has done it in the time since, but if they have, my apologies for the repost.

RWBY Volume Nine Sneak Peak:

-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: RWBY Volume Nine
I never even finished watching volume 7... Confused
Nah, no one's replied to the V8 thread since my last post, and I haven't seen a new thread.
Not really related to that sea of LCL behind Ruby in the video, but I just want to say in advance that I'm nominating Jaune Arc as the next Summer Maiden.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Heh.

Other news that I somehow missed in the last few months: The release of Volume 9 has been pushed back into 2022, mainly due to the overhead imposed by everyone on the animation team working from home. There doesn't seem to be an exact date, at least as of that article (which was posted to the Net in August) but the implication seems to be early in 2022, rather than later.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Yeah, after RTs history with Crunch, and the events of Texas this year, the company decided to play it safe, as opposed to demanding more of the staff during this nightmare.

As we speak, Eddy Rivas, RTs Writing Supervisor and co-writer on recent volumes of RWBY, is in isolation fighting off Covid.
Volume nine may not be coming out until after the new year, but the new spin-off is coming out at the end of the month:

-- Bob

It's a video.

It was okay, I guess.  I was briefly entertained, but it's not like it excels in animation, music, or writing.  The animated adaptation is basically an ad for the book with the same stories, so that's why it gets posted on youtube.
Huh, didn't share this here yet. Time to fix that.

[Image: o7RcpH4.jpg]

Art by Mach Sabre.
Some more RWBY Fairy Tales:

2. The Hunter's Children - look, it's a four person team.  Like ep 1, kind of meh, but better.
3. The Shallow Sea - Hey Papa, where do faunuses come from?  Oz is kind enough to read to us two different versions of the same story, which seems like the kind of thing Tolkien would do.
4. The Indecisive King - Probably the best of the pure fairy tales here -- i.e. the non story-relevant ones.  But um, does that crown look a little bit like a relic to you guys?
5. The Girl in the Tower - If you've seen RWBY up to that one episode with Jinn, you know how this one ends from the title alone, but it gives a little more back story from her point of view.  The moral of the story: stories are powerful so don't teach women to read, I guess?  She also folds a mean paper airplane.
6. The Warrior in the Woods - Told by Taiyang instead of Ozpin this time, you get to see kiddie Ruby who is adorbs.  Probably plot relevant; at least backstory-relevant.

Overall, worth watching eps 3-6 if you have free time or want some more characterization, but nothing here as good as a normal episode.
This isn't about volume nine... but it'll be interesting nonetheless.

EDIT: There's more about it in this presentation, livestreamed a few days ago. I haven't watched it yet.

-- Bob

So... Busy Day.

Let's start with last week news. The first three episodes of Ice Queendom. Only the Japanese version for the moment, the dub ran into several last minute delays, including (Worst of all in my opinion) the loss of the talented Billy Kametz to cancer last month. He would have been the new English voice of Roman Torchwick.

Now for everything from the first day of RTX. Let's start with the Volume Nine trailer. It's scheduled for early 2023. There's also a mouse!

Oh, and let's have a teaser clip from the first ep of Volume 9, involving Ruby meeting that mouse, and also showing that CRWBY has been putting the last year and a half to good use.

Now for the game from Wayforward that was teased last year. Looks like a fun side scroller from people with a good track record at such.

Oh, and there's also a stand alone film coming out next year. No animation shown yet, but, well... It's a crossover with DC Comics Justice League, following on from the shared universe established in the RWBY/JL comic last year, which it should be noted had one of the most adorable updates to the Wonder Woman concept ever. Developed in conjunction with DCs animation teams, so it's got a good chance of being good just from that.

So yeah. Busy day.
Early 2023... lame.  It's already been over a year, and I'll have to wait almost another year.

And Ruby should have known better.  I understand her tears, having been stuck in that same kind of room in video games.
The formal release has been announced for February 18.

And it's apparently exclusively on Crunchyroll for the next year? I'm going to have to dig into this after work. If that's accurate, I'm canceling my Rooster Teeth subscription, which I only have to watch RWBY.

EDIT: Forgot to include the trailer.

-- Bob

RT First will NOT have volume 9. That's confirmed. Common suspicion is that Crunchyroll demanded exclusivity, and First subs reportedly cratered after even more shit came out about RT last September. Lose the First sub.
And it's lost. I'll see in two months just how seriously they took the cancellation.

Amusingly, they did throw up a popup asking why I was cancelling. The very first item on it was "I only subscribed to see RWBY". Looks like they were kind of expecting that.
-- Bob

They were indeed. Like I said, they got hammered last year after it came out nothing really changed at the company after all the shit came out in 2020, and unpaid VAs, and the gutting of CRWBY in November, and the fact they couldn't even bother to give Wayforward a few credits list for Arrowfell, and the shit with Achievement hunter... At this point, FIRST didn't really have much left to it.
Also, coming out the week after V9 ends...

So two days ago the official poster for V9 came out. You can see it here on Reddit (I'm not embedding it out of consideration for their server load, not that my little board is going to add all that much to Reddit's usual traffic, but it's rude to piggyback on them).

Meanwhile we now have a mid-tier Crunchyroll account, and we're looking forward to a little watching tomorrow night... and maybe a few more things than just RWBY.
-- Bob

I highly recommend Witch From Mercury!
The full volume is now complete, which I think is probably the best way to view this volume, given the heavy impact of several eps in the middle.
Yeah, this one will profit from the watch-like-a-movie approach.
-- Bob

Speaking of movies, RWBY X Justice league part one is out.
I'm a little disappointed that there was a trailer for that at the end of the credits instead of a proper tag scene.

And is it just me, or were they dropping hints that we might see a much-changed Neo as a possible ally at some point in the future?
-- Bob

(04-27-2023, 07:25 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: And is it just me, or were they dropping hints that we might see a much-changed Neo as a possible ally at some point in the future?

Oh, I'm certain we haven't seen the last of the Ever After and its inhabitants.

I'm so pleased we finally got an unambiguously happy ending at the end of this volume. I'm not sure who needed it more, us or them. And I adore the fact that Creator of Everything is kind, gentle and understanding. Her meeting Neo would be amazing.