Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][Info]Nothing Better Than This Wiki, part II
[OOC][Info]Nothing Better Than This Wiki, part II
Previous thread is here.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: [OOC][Info]Nothing Better Than This Wiki, part II
Planning threads for Arc 1:
Other planning threads:

May as well start the new thread with a new question.

Does anybody use the extra data that's listed in "Infobox manager" but not in "Infobox displacee"?

I'm thinking that we should consolidate the two into an "Infobox character" - doing that would make automation easier (especially with the "Data-Mining the Wiki" pages), but I don't want to do work that I don't need to do.

Thoughts?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I was thinking about that myself. Honestly, it was kind of a silly thing brought about by a combinaton of pixel art artist-avatar cards that were all the rage on DeviantArt a while back and Fenspace.

I have no issues with nixing the extra data, particularly if it makes things easier to manage.
I recently learned that Fate Testarossa has a generally accepted fannon birthdate in the MSLN fanbase: May 29th.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nanoha/comments...day_today/

Good thing we haven't written anything really concrete for that.
(10-01-2021, 01:36 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: I was thinking about that myself. Honestly, it was kind of a silly thing brought about by a combinaton of pixel art artist-avatar cards that were all the rage on DeviantArt a while back and Fenspace.

I have no issues with nixing the extra data, particularly if it makes things easier to manage.

That's two of the writers okay with the idea, and the rest not offering an opinion after a weekend and a workday. I'll switch the managers' templates over to the displacee template for now, and rename the template when I have time.

(10-05-2021, 04:09 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: I recently learned that Fate Testarossa has a generally accepted fannon birthdate in the MSLN fanbase: May 29th.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nanoha/comments...day_today/

Good thing we haven't written anything really concrete for that.

I've updated the calendar. EDIT: And Fate's wiki page.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-04-2021, 09:56 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I really ought to at least write up Umi, Fuu and Hikaru's pages for Douglass Gardens, and figure out how/when they hang out with the K-On! girls.

Up to last weekend, when I needed to consult their wiki pages for the big fight scene I'm slowly writing/rewriting, they didn't have pages at all. I've stubbed all three with infoboxes and links to their Wikia pages.

Speaking of characters who need writeups... As I post this, we have 190 character pages marked as needing more information which means they need writeups.

We also have 129 "missing" pages: What Did You Do, Yui?‏‎, Malleable Causality‏‎, A Day at the Races‏‎, The Banzai Institute for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information‏‎, The Roadhouse‏‎, four talk pages for existing working notes pages, and 120 characters.

There's plenty of work to go around. Let's start sharing out the workload so it isn't all on one person's shoulders.

BA, could I trouble you to write the Malleable Causality‏‎ page, please? You understand the concept better than anybody else does.

Bob, you've already mentioned wanting to work on the Magic Knights' pages.

Dartz, could you add some information to the character pages for 33-Stars, please? The only page that has anything more than a screengrab is Anri's, and that's only a sentence about how she has a talent for getting into high places.

Brent, would you have time to make pages for the Black Lagoon characters?

I will of course work on the pages for the characters at Blossom. (My current project there is Rei Hino's page. Why Rei first? I hit the "Random Page" link in the sidebar menu a while ago and thought "I really need to do something with this page" when she popped up.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Quote:Bob, you've already mentioned wanting to work on the Magic Knights' pages.

I'll have to refresh myself a bit on them, it's been literally twenty years since we last watched MKR, and it'll have to wait until after hours time. But I'll do it. I'll see what I can do to create a stub page for What Did You Do, Yui? while I'm at it.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
No worries. The work's waited this long, a month or two more won't hurt.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Of course, after I identify my share of the pages that need to be fleshed out, I write a brand-new page instead. "Febrie is a cute and friendly little girl, not yet old enough to go to school, who loves dressing up in frilly dresses. And if you think that's all she is, I have a bridge to sell to you. " At least I remembered to put content in all of the page sections (including an image, even if her Original Skills and Powers section says to see her sister's page which doesn't exist yet.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-05-2021, 07:22 AM)robkelk Wrote: BA, could I trouble you to write the Malleable Causality‏‎ page, please? You understand the concept better than anybody else does.

Sure thing.  I'll get to it here in a day or two.  After all, "back burner" doesn't mean that I won't do anything at all.  Just that it's kinda low priority in the face of everything else.  Tongue

Fortunately, I managed to get a bit done on this "weekend" of mine.

(Sidenote: my "weekend" will be changing from Mon-Tue to Tue-Wed.  Which is great because Monday nights are surprisingly good nights for making money on pizza delivery, whereas Tuesdays are practically dead on arrival and Wednesdays aren't much better.)

I've made An Interlude on Saturnalia part of HILtQWaLtGS.  It's concurrent with that plot line, and it will give me an excuse to use Hotaru on the side as a sort of guardian angel for Benjamin before she actually decides it's time to make herself known.  It's always good to keep an ace in reserve.  Wink
(10-05-2021, 07:02 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 01:36 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: I was thinking about that myself.  Honestly, it was kind of a silly thing brought about by a combinaton of pixel art artist-avatar cards that were all the rage on DeviantArt a while back and Fenspace.

That's two of the writers okay with the idea, and the rest not offering an opinion after a weekend and a workday. I'll switch the managers' templates over to the displacee template for now, and rename the template when I have time.

Swapping over is now done. (I included birthdays when I had the data - that field wasn't in the manager infobox.) Renaming the template isn't, since that will take much more time than I have available at the moment if I don't want to break the automation I have going.

Speaking of automation, the stats for the managers who have writeup pages now appear on the "Data-Mining the Wiki" lists.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-06-2021, 07:43 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(10-05-2021, 07:02 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(10-01-2021, 01:36 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: I was thinking about that myself.  Honestly, it was kind of a silly thing brought about by a combinaton of pixel art artist-avatar cards that were all the rage on DeviantArt a while back and Fenspace.

Swapping over is now done. (I included birthdays when I had the data - that field wasn't in the manager infobox.) Renaming the template isn't, since that will take much more time than I have available at the moment if I don't want to break the automation I have going.

Speaking of automation, the stats for the managers who have writeup pages now appear on the "Data-Mining the Wiki" lists.

Considering that the automation works just fine as-is, and technically the managers are displacees too, I'm not going to mess with something that works. No renaming the template (and possibly missing something that breaks some automation somewhere).

I just counted the characters listed on the "School ships" page. Assuming we don't bring that asshole bureaucrat from Girls und Panzer into the Metacontinuity, there's 92 characters on the list.

Anybody mind if we only create character pages for the characters who will be important to the story, and don't create character pages for the rest of them?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
That should be fine. Just keep it to the relevant characters and all.
(10-05-2021, 07:22 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(10-04-2021, 09:56 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I really ought to at least write up Umi, Fuu and Hikaru's pages for Douglass Gardens, and figure out how/when they hang out with the K-On! girls.

Up to last weekend, when I needed to consult their wiki pages for the big fight scene I'm slowly writing/rewriting, they didn't have pages at all. I've stubbed all three with infoboxes and links to their Wikia pages.

Speaking of characters who need writeups... As I post this, we have 190 character pages marked as needing more information which means they need writeups.

We also have 129 "missing" pages: What Did You Do, Yui?‏‎, Malleable Causality‏‎, A Day at the Races‏‎, The Banzai Institute for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information‏‎, The Roadhouse‏‎, four talk pages for existing working notes pages, and 120 characters.

There's plenty of work to go around. Let's start sharing out the workload so it isn't all on one person's shoulders.

BA, could I trouble you to write the Malleable Causality‏‎ page, please? You understand the concept better than anybody else does.

Bob, you've already mentioned wanting to work on the Magic Knights' pages.

Dartz, could you add some information to the character pages for 33-Stars, please? The only page that has anything more than a screengrab is Anri's, and that's only a sentence about how she has a talent for getting into high places.

Brent, would you have time to make pages for the Black Lagoon characters?

I will of course work on the pages for the characters at Blossom. (My current project there is Rei Hino's page. Why Rei first? I hit the "Random Page" link in the sidebar menu a while ago and thought "I really need to do something with this page" when she popped up.)

Well, I'm two-sevenths of the way through my list... but I grabbed the low-hanging fruit - the pages that were almost done - first.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I seem to recall somebody asking whether, some time down the line, we could make the wiki hybrid access - set the story pages public while the rest remains private.

There's a wiki setting that might allow for this... but it has no documentation.

I've asked for documentation.

Speaking of stories on the wiki... this extension is available. I don't have time right now to go through the documentation to figure out how to use it, though. Do we want it?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
So, basically we provide a link for one of our collected stories, a user clicks it, and it will spit out a PDF for everything tagged as being part of said story, and all without us having to host a ready-made PDF file?

I can dig it. It'll keep us from having to update the PDF files as we make revisions.
Okay, I've activated PdfBook. Have fun playing with it, and let me know what if anything needs to be changed with how we organize the wiki.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The first thing the documentation suggests is making a PDF of all of the pages in a category. Here's what a PDF of the pages in "Category:Cyborg" looks like as of the time I posted this. (Yeah, two of the three pages are blatant placeholders. I just used something short and pre-existing as an example.)

Pros: It preserves links, including links to headers in the pages converted to PDF.

Cons: It doesn't handle Japanese characters at all. It draws boxes around images. It doesn't wrap text around infoboxes. And you have to save the PDF from your browser.

But if we're using it for stories, infoboxes won't come up at all and there won't be many if any images.

Attached Files
.pdf   TNB - Category 'Cyborg' as of 2021-10-26.pdf (Size: 193.82 KB / Downloads: 2)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I was talking to Rob about this earlier. The tool *does* have *some* formatting features, but they're very sparse. It's pretty much limited to text alignment, margins, font, font size, and line spacing. These can be changed from default using command strings in the links we create.

The defaults *can* be changed, but apparently that needs someone from Miraheze to change it for us. To wit, imagine having a storefront somewhere and you're renting out the space for it. You want to change the thermostat settings, but the only way to do that is to call the landlord and ask them to do it for you.

Annoying, ain't it?

But as far as I see it, it's still a better option than having to revise PDF files whenever we make revisions on the wiki. And it has the added bonus that we can have links that auto-generate books of character pages based on whatever category you wish.
(10-26-2021, 11:08 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: ...

The defaults *can* be changed, but apparently that needs someone from Miraheze to change it for us.  To wit, imagine having a storefront somewhere and you're renting out the space for it.  You want to change the thermostat settings, but the only way to do that is to call the landlord and ask them to do it for you.

Annoying, ain't it?

To be accurate, they involve changing some "$wg" variables, and I don't believe we have access to the configuration file. Brent, do you know whether we can do this?

Oh, yes - we ran the Halloween story through the PDF creator as a test case.

Attached Files
.pdf   Halloween in Another World.pdf (Size: 341.99 KB / Downloads: 1)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I could have - should have - finished off a story today.

Instead, I spent time updating and fleshing out character pages - anything from a full rewrite to adding a comment along the lines of "With regard to the light/dark camps at Blossom, Usagi is the residence's equivalent of Albus Dumbledore: the undisputed leader of the light side."

Ah, well. I had to update the wiki pages anyway.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Found some (incomplete) data on birthdays and ages for the crew of the Serenity, and discovered that our version of Mal Reynolds and Ami Mizuno have something in common - they were each dumped into the Metacontinuity the day after their birthday.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
#OneYearYounger.

Depending on when they left and when they arrived, a character can gain or lose a maximum of one year as counted by birthdays.  Unless they were born on February 29, like Touya.  But Touya left his universe in 2000 and just had his b... wait a minute...  CONSTRAINT leap_year CHECK ( (leave_date - age) % 4 = 0 )  So Touya left his universe in 1998, which means he has to wait a year and a half longer for his birthday.  And I have a story date to change.

I mean, I think 1998.  I think the thing that ties it most in time is when Tomoyo gives Sakura a mobile phone, and it's still kind of a rare thing for people to have.  It's her family company's new design, and that episode aired in 1998.  I think it makes more sense in 1997 than in 2001, which is when I got my first cell phone.  Tomoyo is rich and gets cool toys earlier than me.  Any opinions on this are welcome.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I can't fault your math or your assumptions, and the date does match the copyright date on the first season of the anime.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I think there's such a thing as overanalysing.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.