New map marker: "Noodle Restaurant".

Created without incident.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: [OOC][Info]Nothing Better Than This Wiki, part II
Oooh! I've got a place where I can use that!

EDIT: Two, actually.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
More new map markers: Basketball stadium, Zoo, and (how did I miss this one before now, Ami-chan?) Hospital.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Quoting from the wiki page for Live Oaks Manor:

Quote:The building attracts time-travellers and similar people, thanks to the (locked-down) time portal on the upstairs floor. For instance, there appears to be a 1960s-era London Police box in the back yard, where "Doctor John Smith" and companion(s) spend their time.

Anybody have a preference as to the occupants of said Police Public Call Box?

I'm old-school - my preference is Four and Sarah Jane - but in no way am I set on that. Although if we decide anybody newer that Nine and Rose, someone else will have to write them.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I could get behind Four and Sarah Jane, but there is no small appeal to Nine and Rose as well.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(05-18-2022, 07:09 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: I'll be leaving the project.  You guys get to own it now and do as you please.

(05-19-2022, 03:04 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: (EDIT2: I know I said I wasn't going to play an active role as a writer anymore,

(05-22-2022, 04:00 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: And I don't want any sort of wiggle room on this.  I do not want anyone to think that maybe I can and should come back.

'Lewis Carroll, in 'The Hunting of the Snark'," Wrote:I have said it thrice:
  What I tell you three times is true.

Since BlackAeronaut has doubly-confirmed that he is no longer writing in this project, I have moved his wiki account from "writer" with editing rights (like Labster and Looney Toons) to "reader" without editing rights (like Rajvic and Blade), as per industry-standard IT security best practices.

Should either Rajvic or BlackAeronaut want editing rights on the wiki, at this point the same rules apply to their accounts that apply to all accounts:

The wiki's Main Page Wrote:The Forum hosted on Bob Schroeck's site also exists; if you have a forum account, you can ask there to become a member here.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Stubbed some more character pages, and made a list of the characters in Squid Girl for Labster to choose who he wants to include. (You'd better include Koyomi Kiyomi for the comedy value... Smile "Did you want Kiyomi or Koyomi?" "Which one wears glasses, has long hair, and has body-image issues?")
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
According to Word of God, Rin Tohsaka is a Japanese Christian. Okay, I can work with that - we now have a map marker for "Church".

And since Makoto Kino is in canon interested in owning a cake shop, we also now have a map marker for "Bakery".
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just added an "Other Names" field to the displacee infobox, for titles, sobriquets, alternate names, and so on.

For example:

| title = Lina Inverse
| Other Names =
Canon:
* Dragon Spooker
* The Enemy of All Who Live
* Lina the Pink

Or:

| title = Jake Blues
| Other Names = Joliet Jake

EDIT: Retrofitted a bunch of templates, but not all of them that I'm aware of. See here for what's done. More after work...

RE-EDIT: ...or at lunch time. I think I have most of them now - and I see we aren't being consistent about how we name character pages.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(06-06-2022, 07:35 AM)robkelk Wrote: EDIT: Retrofitted a bunch of templates, but not all of them that I'm aware of. See here for what's done. More after work...

RE-EDIT: ...or at lunch time. I think I have most of them now - and I see we aren't being consistent about how we name character pages.

I think we have them all, now.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Because I noticed that I was using this a lot, there is now an option to upload a file and specify a CC-BY-4.0 International licence for it.

If anybody knows enough about MediaWiki magic words and text substitution to set the default credit to whoever uploaded the file, feel free to upgrade the template. (At the moment, it defaults to crediting the wiki.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I want to make a page for a character, but I'm coming up with the problem of what do I name the page? Options are "Chariot du Nord" (birth name), "Shiny Chariot" (stage name), or "Ursula Callistis" (current alias). Oh, right, spoilers, but honestly those all refer to the same thing, and I think knowing it makes the story better. She'll be performing again, too. I'm half tempted to make up a new alias for her, like "Astraea Plowman".
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Hmmmmm... Which name is she called most often?

The other names can be set up as redirects.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
New map marker, because Vicksburg: BBQ restaurant.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The wiki now has a list of all dates that have no story yet, which gives us a much better idea of where we can drop retconned text into the chronicle without needing to make changes to existing text.

At the moment, the "no story" list includes Valentine's Eve... as requested.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Three new map markers, one for Gulfside Rest, one for... probably Gulfside Rest again but I can use it for Blossom, and one for Douglass Gardens.

Seafood restaurant, Sushi restaurant, and Town, respectively.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Okay, I think that's enough attention to the Gulfside Rest map for now. I've found and marked plenty of restaurants (including the closest pizza place to the residence) and "gift shops", and the nearest grocery store, schools, donut shop, movie theater... and bicycle shop.

That should be enough to at least fake verisimilitude when writing stories about the NERV and Serenity folks.

(And that fact that I can say "fake verisimilitude" with a straight face shows I spent far too long on this little project.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
New field in the Apartment infobox (and the template for new place pages): "Metacontinuity Appearance Date".

Once it's retrofitted to the existing place pages, we'll be able to tell which places are available when more easily.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
New map marker: Military Base.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(06-25-2022, 03:13 PM)robkelk Wrote: Three new map markers, one for Gulfside Rest,  one for... probably Gulfside Rest again but I can use it for Blossom, and one for Douglass Gardens.

Seafood restaurant, Sushi restaurant, and Town, respectively.

Town?

No, never mind, I'll go to the wiki and look.
-- Bob

All stories on the wiki are now tagged as being stories (or working notes for stories), and are also tagged with the writers of the stories.

The latter means it is now slightly easier to find scenes that we have been requested to remove.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Documentation for the map tool we use on the wiki.

Because I keep misplacing that link. And because there are no streets drawn on our map of Lake Wobegon. Yet.

EDIT: Although there are a lot of things the documentation says we should be able to do that we can't.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Mm. Yes, definite possibilities. If only I could get my hands on an image of that program from 2005 live show... I can't but wonder if there was a town map in it.

EDIT: Google and ye shall receive. Don't know how I missed this a few weeks ago (maybe because I was searching for physical location, not town layout), but Garrison Keillor published at least one Lake Wobegon book (Pontoon) with town maps on its front and back covers. Looks like I'll be reorganizing the map sometime soon.
-- Bob

Across the street from Douglass Gardens is one Saints Peter and Paul Byzantine Catholic Church.  I feel like the phrase Byzantine Catholic Church would make more sense to Saber or Index than it does to me.  (Apparently it's Byzantine Rite folks who decided to join the Bishop of Rome instead back when western Ruthenia was part of Hungary.  Their descendants are the folks Putin thinks could never be real Russians today.)
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Oh, yeah, I never mentioned that there is a large Hungarian population in that area, with Hungarian delis and restaurants mixed in with the other establishments. Our friend Attila (the Hungarian) grew up in that general neighborhood.
-- Bob