Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIII
(11-03-2021, 11:08 AM)robkelk Wrote: I'd give Reddington/Balon Greyjoy/Dagon Greyjoy/DevanSeaworth78 the same treatment we give everyone else who doesn't come back after a tempban - ignore until something happens.

As for ArtsyGirl/AmberLovesEverything, well ... I did the last warning, and it was ignored. It's somebody else's turn.

I did the needful.

https://allthetropes.org/wiki/Topic:Wjo168hod688t3hk
Thanks, Geth.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
We have Bisexual, Homosexual, and Asexuality as pages. Why do we not have Heterosexual?

Is it just because nobody has had time to make that page?
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Related question about Miraheze: Please refresh my memory - have we had direct dealings with this person, and if we have, how did they go?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-04-2021, 08:44 AM)robkelk Wrote: Related question about Miraheze: Please refresh my memory - have we had direct dealings with this person, and if we have, how did they go?

John Lewis, co-founder of Miraheze, gave us sanctuary when Orain went belly-up, has never stabbed us in the back or been unfair to us to my knowledge. Still active managing the backend aspects of Miraheze.
(11-04-2021, 11:02 AM)GethN7 Wrote:
(11-04-2021, 08:44 AM)robkelk Wrote: Related question about Miraheze: Please refresh my memory - have we had direct dealings with this person, and if we have, how did they go?

John Lewis, co-founder of Miraheze, gave us sanctuary when Orain went belly-up, has never stabbed us in the back or been unfair to us to my knowledge. Still active managing the backend aspects of Miraheze.

Thanks, Geth. I now know how I intend to vote on that proposal.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
We have had some conflicts with him in the past, but nothing horrible or worthy of holding a grudge.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(11-04-2021, 08:04 AM)robkelk Wrote: We have Bisexual, Homosexual, and Asexuality as pages. Why do we not have Heterosexual?

Almost certainly because it is the assumed "default" state and as such counts as People Sit on Chairs.

EDIT: Which is a fair point. Imagine the entry pimping you would have to do if we were to add a page for it.
-- Bob

(11-04-2021, 01:05 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(11-04-2021, 08:04 AM)robkelk Wrote: We have Bisexual, Homosexual, and Asexuality as pages. Why do we not have Heterosexual?

Almost certainly because it is the assumed "default" state and as such counts as People Sit on Chairs.

EDIT:  Which is a fair point.  Imagine the entry pimping you would have to do if we were to add a page for it.

Fair enough. It just annoys me to have all but one of a set. (Gotta catch 'em all...) I can learn to live with annoyance.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Figured I'd try something different with this franchise navbox - specifically, include the fan works that we have pages for.

I'm sure I missed something for the crossovers line - a Mega Crossover, most likely (no, not There's Nothing Better, because we don't have a page for that) - but I'm drawing a blank on what it might be.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, there's Drunkard's Walk S... Big Grin 

John Biles has Sailor Moon Z and Dance of Shiva

there's the Sailor Moon Expanded collection of stories

dozens of Ranma/Sailor Moon crossovers/fusions ranging from bad to mediocre to good.
The Girl Who Loved, with Harry Potter and Ranma.
-- Bob

Sailor Moon Expanded is already on the list.

Dance of Shiva is the one I was sure that I was forgetting. However, ATT doesn't have a page for it... EDIT: Yes, we do, with a "The" at the beginning. Adding it now.

Adding Sailor Moon Z.

Bob's already added The Girl Who Loved
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
New page needs examples and categories

I dislike creating stubs, but this one was getting to the point where it was noticeable as a redlink (there were over three dozen links to it). I wanted to ensure the page's focus would be on how it was tropeable, not how many conspiracy theories it has connected to it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Shared this in a PM with Rob, making it public because Umbire has me on ignore (I have been informed the reason, I apologize, will not repeat my error again in your presence, and you may hold me to that, refer to this if I break my word, I will step down from any position of authority on ATT if I break that word without objection for however long the other staff and community deem necessary) and they discussed the issue with him. The issue in question was on templates for infoboxes for books showing all sorts of goofy markup errors, and also making this public so it can be discussed.

This is a spit and pencil solution, but using the Page Preview extension (which allows previewing changes to pages and templates without saving anything), I was able to figure out a quick fix for all client-side issues:

Remove all the following tags from this page:

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...ate:Navbar

<translate>
</translate>
<translate nowrap>

That fixes all the visible errors on the user end. It's not ideal, it will lack translation tag markup for whenever it works again, so it will need reverted or replaced then, but all the client-side issues (what readers see) should be fixed. Might result in some stray markup tags on the template page, but this is harmless and should not affect readers.
"Template:supertrope list" needs to be re-written now that Miraheze has decided ATT is too big to be allowed to run DPL.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just implemented my fixes for the Infobox navbars as mentioned above, pages affected look fine now. Users who still see issues will need to purge the page cache if they still see them, but that issue is now fixed. This did result in some issues on the documentation page for the affected template (some busted markup), but this fixes all client side issues on actual user content, which was the much lesser of the two evils.
Thanks, Geth!

New navbox for some award winners. Amazing how many of these we actually have, considering that this particular navbox doesn't have a US-centric list of winners.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Do we have a trope for a character not being able to go up to eleven because the character is always at that level?

The specific case is for this line on Comic Party/Characters: "Amazingly, when Miho was in Large Ham mode in Taishi's presence, [[Ham-to-Ham Combat]] was averted... which implies that the usual level of ham for both of them is their maximum level of ham."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
That doesn't ring a bell for me.
-- Bob

Is no one going through the moderation queue? I was away for all of last week and the tablet I was using made it difficult to do it, so I simply ignored it until now. I just checked it and there are over thirty edits dating back nearly ten days waiting for someone to approve them! C'mon, guys, I can't be the only one who checks Moderation.

EDIT: I've gone in and cleared out everything. But still, folks...
-- Bob

Requesting a check for this edit against TVT - lot of tropes added that aren't (yet) tropes here.
I approved that edit, and did check it against TVT. While there are passages that are clearly rewrites of content from TVT's character pages for Metal Slug, Metal Slug Defense and Metal Slug Attack there's nothing that's outright plagiarism. And what tropes were added that aren't here? There are no redlinks and no offsite links to TVT; at most there's a surfeit of redirects.
-- Bob

(11-16-2021, 04:46 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I approved that edit, and did check it against TVT.  While there are passages that are clearly rewrites of content from TVT's character pages for Metal Slug, Metal Slug Defense and Metal Slug Attack there's nothing that's outright plagiarism.  And what tropes were added that aren't here?  There are no redlinks and no offsite links to TVT; at most there's a surfeit of redirects.

Right, I'll resume touching it up then. Thank you.
I want to address it here before it becomes a problem.

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...qp42zy3lrc

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...iyqd5nf2qh

These two topics seem to have a relation in regards to Umbire claiming others off our site have an issue with our content and desire changes, and Umbire is in favor of appeasing them. By contrast, it seems others are quite opposed to doing so and it has apparently gotten a bit personal. I have no idea if Umbire still has me on ignore here, but I hope they see this anyway, because since off-site drama concerning social views seems to be leaking into a place we had hoped to keep nonpolitical, I want to make one thing absolutely clear.

As for myself, on the above two topics, I have no dog in this fight and am willing to bow to the majority consensus, whatever it may be, on the on-wiki matters. Off wiki is not my concern in the slightest. I would consider ii more helpful if these alleged parties would present their case to us more directly than us getting their alleged displeasure via Umbire second-hand, it would be more useful for both sides to directly communicate, and that way we can fix any issues that appear of legitimate concern.

On the other note, I have sworn to not discuss my political, religious and social views on the wiki, and leave them at the door when I enter, and it is policy the rest of us should do the same, and it my hope this is not a case of that statute being violated. If it is, I believe it should cease before it causes further disruption. As for myself, I again am willing to keep silent about my political, social, and religious mores both there and I have of late mirrored that compact here because I do not desire drama or partisanship, and I again strongly advise anyone seeking to import such to please cease and desist.