Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC] Body Swaps
[OOC] Body Swaps
Our little miss cardcaptor has a card that causes people to swap bodies, which in the anime was done with Kero and Shaoran.  So, who wants to trade bodies?  First on my list is Tomo and Koyomi, because ... well, there are a lot of reasons.  But I'll get into those in the story.

What I want to ask about here is a little bit of brainstorming for a proper deconstruction: what is actually different about people's bodies?  You know, besides the things that are covered in every body swap doujinshi? We have a bit of first-hand knowledge about this, because we all remember being shorter.  But a lot of how we imagine others observe the world is based on how we see the world, because we only have first-hand knowledge of one person.

So what are some of the sort of things I could use in this story?  So far I have:

Vision: Yomi's eyes will seem blurry to Tomo, and wearing the glasses will seem awkward at first.  It's also possible one of them is colorblind or, conversely, a tetrachromat.
Taste: I've already mentioned the cilantro mutation in my stories, but about the undines.
Height: Always a classic.  Big was a good movie.
Hair: Having long hair feels different.  Takes longer to wash. Twintails feel bouncy.
Audio: Is Yomi's bad singing a product of her body, or a product of her brain?

Any other ideas I could work in here?

P.S. Also in my own experience, I have the soprano parts of Handel's Messiah memorized, but my body will no longer produce those notes.  It's surprisingly frustrating.  The tenor lines are nice, just not what I learned when I was a kid.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
RE: [OOC] Body Swaps
What time frame would this be in?

Ben would try his best to avoid it. If Nanoha and Fate are around, I could imagine them being curious about what it's like to be Benjamin. Though if he gives them the slip, they will probably settle for being each other.

Sasami will probably be a flat-out NO! because with her being a Choushin, things can get dicey there.

Aeka and Ryouko, natch. Ryouko would probably find it interesting to move with the sort of grace that Aeka has, and Aeka would find the ability to fly, phase through objects, and teleport to be a fun experience.

I'll think of more later on.
(11-20-2021, 02:48 AM)Labster Wrote: Any other ideas I could work in here?

There's the social factor: People expect Tomo to act and react in a very different manner than they expect Yomi to, and that leads to the whole "walk a mile in the other person's shoes" lesson for both of them. This applies even if everybody knows they've traded bodies - if she's short, has short black hair, and is flat-chested, people are going to think she's Tomo even if they've been told she's Yomi.

Speaking of "flat-chested", they're both going to have balance issues because their centres of mass are at a different point of the body. (Yes, I have been reliably informed that suddenly not having big'uns does throw off one's balance. I assume suddenly going in the opposite direction would have a similar effect.) Yomi might be able to handle being clumsy all of a sudden, but Tomo is a more physically-oriented person.

As for Blossom...

There are two definite "no" answers: I'm comfortable in my own skin so my SI would be unlikely to want to trade bodies with anyone else, and Touma's powers are such that Sakura can't affect him.

One that might be interesting, and the participants might be willing to try: Misaka Mikoto and Misaka 10032. They're genetically identical, but "Niiko" took a lot of physical damage in canon, so it would be a new experience for Mikoto to have to live with -- and focus through -- the accumulated aches and pains from never-fully-healed injuries. (I expect that in the case of Academy City espers, their power levels would go with their minds since they rely on Personal Reality.)
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I'll just leave this here...

[Image: Strip569.gif]

(Source)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-20-2021, 02:48 AM)Labster Wrote: Audio: Is Yomi's bad singing a product of her body, or a product of her brain?

Having sung in church choir with a tone-deaf contralto soloist who I never heard sing a false note as long as she had sheet music, I can safely state that training can compensate for even major physical disadvantages in this field. So I'd be inclined to say "brain" here.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Here's a Change idea for you:

[Image: __kinomoto_sakura_and_daidouji_tomoyo_ca...d71f09.jpg]

Reduced to one-quarter size - original available here
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Hoeeeee?!?!
I knew we had a thread for this...

(04-10-2022, 08:11 AM)robkelk Wrote: Say... Brent, if you're still looking for people to try the Change card, Sakaki-san and Chiyo-chan would probably love to trade heights for a day or two.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I can't help but think the Change card had some fun on its own here...

[Image: __nakano_azusa_and_shirai_kuroko_k_on_an...d6c704.jpg]

Source
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
A subsequent bit of research indicates that at least the first image in this post belongs in this thread.

(05-07-2022, 07:14 AM)robkelk Wrote: Translation requested, please...

[Image: __kinomoto_sakura_tsukino_usagi_and_sail...0589f2.jpg]

[Image: __mizuno_ami_kero_daidouji_tomoyo_and_hi...b5b6b5.jpg]

(Source one and two)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-07-2022, 12:12 PM)robkelk Wrote: A subsequent bit of research indicates that at least the first image in this post belongs in this thread.

(05-07-2022, 07:14 AM)robkelk Wrote: Translation requested, please...

[Image: __kinomoto_sakura_tsukino_usagi_and_sail...0589f2.jpg]

[Image: __mizuno_ami_kero_daidouji_tomoyo_and_hi...b5b6b5.jpg]

(Source one and two)

Okay, here's a transliteration for you:
Sakura: "Eeeh! Kono sugata ja Mamo-chan to deito dekinai yo~!"
Mercury "Mitame wa toshishita no ko na dame desu tayori ga iaru neechan ya kedo naa."
Kerberos: "Usagi-chan tara sugu naichaunda kara..."
Tomoyo: "Ara ara.  Kochira no katagata mo ire kawattemashita wa"

I can translate the first one without looking stuff up: "Waaah!  I can't go on a date with Mamo-chan looking like this."  Mercury uses the hardest words, of course.

Comment on three posts up: No, you can't eat Clow Cards, Tomoyo.

Except maybe The Sweet.