Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIV
Don't know about the Wayback Machine, but there's a copy of the page as of 2012 in the ATT archives.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(04-15-2022, 02:15 AM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: By perchance is there a cached copy of the trope on Wayback?  It would be interesting to be able to present a before-and-after to people who challenge the raison d'être of ATT.

Only about a million. <grin>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Can someone please go through the moderation queue? We have a bunch of stuff there that's four days old, and I just got an inquiry about them from the contributor who wrote them. I'd do it myself, but they're mostly in excess of 1K of new material each, and I'm literally in the middle of cooking Easter dinner right now.

Thanks.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I have time to do a couple - I'll start with the oldest and see how far I can get.

EDIT: Made it up to yesterday, with one - Tuca & Bertie/YMMV - that I'm not sure I should handle. (Tropes not in alphabetical order... and I don't want to mess up any working relationship you might have with Jlaw.) Yes, I know that means I didn't touch Kuma's submission.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Thanks, Rob. I'll jump on the YMMV page tomorrow morning.
-- Bob

I know there's a trope in this punchline, but I don't remember what we call it...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, yeah, you're right, but I don't think it's one we have. Yet.
-- Bob

"Can't we just do the sensible thing?"

"We could, but that'd be boring."
Oh, and I probably should have mentioned this here yesterday. The proposed new "timeout" rule for the Trope Workshop -- if a trope candidate goes untouched for six months, it's automatically slated for deletion with a week's warning -- passed more or less unanimously. Yesterday afternoon I rewrote the Trope Workshop page to list the new rule and then went through everything in it and flagged everything that qualified.
-- Bob

(04-20-2022, 01:31 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: "Can't we just do the sensible thing?"

That makes me think Evil Is Stylish might be the trope, perhaps?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(04-21-2022, 11:30 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(04-20-2022, 01:31 PM)Black Aeronaut Wrote: "Can't we just do the sensible thing?"

That makes me think Evil Is Stylish might be the trope, perhaps?

Hmmmm....  Nah, because that line isn't just limited to the villains.  Heroes, anti-heroes, and even anti-villains are all guilty of that one. Hell, this is the entire freakin' premise behind Phineas and Ferb, and those two are about as villainous as some kids going, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if..."

Evil is Stylish is more like Megamind going "PRESENTATION!" when asked what the difference between him and the other guy is. EDIT: Or David Xanatos in Gargoyles for never, ever having a hair out of place while smiling and going Just As Planned.

EDIT2: If we need a name for the trope, I say let's call it "Sensible Senselessness", because it's usually something unusual, overwrought, or even just plain wacky... but why would you do it any other way? "The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?"
Just noticed that the page image on "Conflict" is CC BY NC ND. That means no resizing. I've replaced "thumb" with "frame" and added a comment saying not to change it back.

Of course, the page looks bad now with such a large image... but that's "ND" for you.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(04-21-2022, 03:04 PM)robkelk Wrote: Just noticed that the page image on "Conflict" is CC BY NC ND. That means no resizing. I've replaced "thumb" with "frame" and added a comment saying not to change it back.

Of course, the page looks bad now with such a large image... but that's "ND" for you.

You should be able to resize the image via thumbnailing without a problem. You just can't touch the file itself, but legally speaking, thumbnailing by proxy should not be an issue, else every web preview of any image like it violates the same terms all over the internet.
Nah, Rob is right. You can’t resize a No Derivatives licensed image without using an exception to copyright. Search and indexing is a transformative use, but not sure we could argue anything. Also you’re limited to lossless reencodes of the image — the image itself is copyrightable but the machine coding is not.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Sounds like the ND images are more trouble than they're worth. We should find replacements for them.

EDIT: I just realized a little while ago -- the wiki software automatically resizes images when displaying them on the "File:" pages. That's an ND violation right there. We need to replace these images stat.
-- Bob

On another topic entirely, what do people think about promoting Jlaw to automoderated? I know she's been on the wiki less than two weeks, but I think she's already shown her bona fides.
-- Bob

(04-22-2022, 07:26 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Sounds like the ND images are more trouble than they're worth. We should find replacements for them.

EDIT: I just realized a little while ago -- the wiki software automatically resizes images when displaying them on the "File:" pages. That's an ND violation right there. We need to replace these images stat.

I put a cleanup note to that effect on the category page for the license yesterday.

Alas, all of the official Katawa Shoujo images are CC BY NC ND... so we may need to use the dodge suggested at creativecommons.org and use them the same way we use every other Fair Use image, with the same justification.

(04-22-2022, 09:54 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: On another topic entirely, what do people think about promoting Jlaw to automoderated? I know she's been on the wiki less than two weeks, but I think she's already shown her bona fides.

I was just about to suggest that... Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Personally, I think it’s a safe enough dodge. ND is really intended to keep people from doing photoshopping images. Someone getting pissy over resizing is like getting upset over the blue plate special being on a different size plate while having the same portion.
Somebody make a proposal on this matter, please - I keep flip-flopping on what I think should be done.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Back to an earlier topic -- both Rob and I were inclined to promote Jlaw to automoderated. It's been a few days since we both mentioned that here. Is it safe to assume no one has any objections?
-- Bob

(04-24-2022, 02:12 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Back to an earlier topic -- both Rob and I were inclined to promote Jlaw to automoderated.  It's been a few days since we both mentioned that here.  Is it safe to assume no one has any objections?

I have no objections. Good faith editor, willing to learn and act maturely, good contributions, what's not to like?
Well, that's our rule-of-thumb three yes votes, and no one has said no in the several days since the question was asked, so she gets a surprise promotion as soon as I get over to the wiki this morning.
-- Bob

Looking at the Moderation queue... I'm not going to approve Crazymonkey's edit to "Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy" because of how big a mess it makes to page formatting.

If anyone else approves it, please immediately go in and clean up the mess.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Heh. That's the reason I haven't approved it yet.
-- Bob

And that's the end of this thread. New thread is here.
-- Bob