Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIV
(01-09-2022, 10:48 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(01-09-2022, 01:07 PM)LynnInDenver Wrote: If it were me? Earning a permanent ban would include flushing the moderation queue of their edits out of hand. If you've earned a permanent ban for many of the reasons stated that would earn such, odds are good the remaining edits aren't really worth the electrons they're recorded with.

I like this idea so much I'd be in favor of making it official policy if need be.

Likewise, so I've started the policy discussion on the ATT Forums.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(01-06-2022, 07:40 AM)GethN7 Wrote:
(01-06-2022, 07:01 AM)robkelk Wrote: Considering that Miraheze is in the middle of a server move, we might have to wait for that request to be actioned.

My thoughts exactly. In the meantime, after asking they do so when it is convenient, was going to leave the notice up while we wait and some time after the changeover to make sure this does not come off a surprise when they do help us switch.

Edit: I'm going to belay making the request until they do most of the server backend changes they mentioned, no sense compounding possible issues until they suss that out.

I just had a thought about this - if we're getting rid of Flow, then FlowMention might stop working. We should remember to copy Template:Ping (which is more efficient, but requires posts to be signed) and its associated templates from Meta or from wherever they got it from, unless we can find an even better replacement for FlowMention.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-10-2022, 08:31 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(01-09-2022, 10:48 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(01-09-2022, 01:07 PM)LynnInDenver Wrote: If it were me? Earning a permanent ban would include flushing the moderation queue of their edits out of hand. If you've earned a permanent ban for many of the reasons stated that would earn such, odds are good the remaining edits aren't really worth the electrons they're recorded with.

I like this idea so much I'd be in favor of making it official policy if need be.

Likewise, so I've started the policy discussion on the ATT Forums.

And you're right that I don't have an account over there. Also, it is probably good to just make it a complete policy with no exceptions - permanent ban includes purging the moderation queue of waiting edits, regardless of the reason for the ban.
"You know how parents tell you everything's going to fine, but you know they're lying to make you feel better? Everything's going to be fine." - The Doctor
Meanwhile, now that Iloveicecream has been more or less dealt with, what are we going to do about Artsygirl, who either refuses to use or is completely incapable of comprehending critical elements of our style, like bullet points, despite having it pointed out to her multiple times?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
We don't say "failure to abide by the Style Guide" is a bannable offence... and I'd be reluctant to suggest that it become bannable unless it's actually causing problems.

That said, repeatedly making the same mistake after it's been pointed out is tempbannable after a warning...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Whipsawing the current subject once again, in the wake of Iloveicecream, I'd like to propose adding the following as the final paragraph of "== Can I just copy over stuff from TV Tropes?==" on All The Tropes: Copyright:

Quote:Finally, be aware that there is ''no excuse'' for plagiarism/copyright violation. Saying "I didn't know", "I didn't mean it" or the incredibly unlikely "I did it by accident" will ''not'' absolve you of your responsibility for violating the law and putting the wiki at risk, ''especially'' if it's not your first offense. The only thing such a claim will net you is a roll of the eyes from whichever administrator is handling your violation.<ref>We've actually had former users whose entire defense boiled down to "I'm too stupid and ignorant to be held responsible for my acts of copyright violation". To which our response was, "Then you are too stupid and ignorant to allow on the wiki."</ref>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I'd replace "stupid and ignorant" with "immature", or possibly add it as an option... but, yeah, we can't say it enough that we have zero tolerance for lawbreaking.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I dunno, icecream's defense was "I'm a moron, you have to cut me slack!"
-- Bob

Just a bit of an update. TV Tropes' has graciously allowed me to cut copy-pasted content from ATT on their site provided I link to the original to prove the cuts are legit, currently helping with that request I filed, let me know if anything else is spotted and I'll do the needful for you guys.
Well, that's good news. I've been idly checking the occasional page of my creation against TVT for the last couple months and haven't spotted anything else, but if I do I'll let you know.
-- Bob

I know we have a trope for this, but I don't remember what it's called... Anybody recognize it?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Gah. Yeah, I ... dammit.

Whatever it is, it should be in orbit around Small Reference Pools. Or linked off My Immortal, since that was written by someone who knew the Harry Potter movies but was unaware of the books, at least for a while.
-- Bob

(01-11-2022, 02:04 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Gah.  Yeah, I ... dammit. 

Whatever it is, it should be in orbit around Small Reference Pools.  ...

That's the clue that I needed... Wiki-walk from "Small Reference Pools" to "Popcultural Osmosis" to "Pop Cultural Osmosis Failure" to "Adaptation Displacement" and we've found the trope.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
<applause>
-- Bob

I added some key information to our Copyrights page on how to avoid self-plagiarism, for those who wish to submit the same work to both TV Tropes and ourselves for whatever reason. I added advice to make edit reasons stating as much to avoid copyright hassles between us later. Given Creative Commons allows this and lack of edit reasons just causes copyright dispute confusion for all involved, seemed wise to make that more clear.

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...id=1948337
Good, yeah. After I added the definition of "big enough" for infringement some months back, I should have thought of that.

Such a pity, though, that the people most in need of knowing the policy are those least likely to actually read it.
-- Bob

I just looked through the Moderation queue, and approved the pending edits that don't require TVTropes access to check. I'm not turning off my ad-blocker to look at an page there. (Once burned [by malware delivered by an ad], twice shy.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-13-2022, 10:10 AM)robkelk Wrote: I just looked through the Moderation queue, and approved the pending edits that don't require TVTropes access to check. I'm not turning off my ad-blocker to look at an page there. (Once burned [by malware delivered by an ad], twice shy.)

I use Brave and have never been hassled about ads.
Reminder: The server migration happens today.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-13-2022, 02:22 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 10:10 AM)robkelk Wrote: I just looked through the Moderation queue, and approved the pending edits that don't require TVTropes access to check. I'm not turning off my ad-blocker to look at an page there. (Once burned [by malware delivered by an ad], twice shy.)

I use Brave and have never been hassled about ads.

I don't get hassled about ads; I just don't see the entire pages.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
You really want this thread closed, Bob. Can I please update the summary before it's locked a third time?

EDIT: It's updated now.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Sorry, Rob. I didn't know you wanted to to add to it. I was just closing out everything on that page.
-- Bob

As soon as we can confirm the new server update didn't break anything and fixed what is intended. I'm putting in a request for our depreciation of Flow and switch to CommentStreams (no one has dissented thus far, all have been in favor). As a reminder, a few nice features of Flow like notifications to users of posts will need replaced with things like TemplateTongueing, but that is not going to be a major problem.

If anyone has further suggestions to refine the switchover to CommentStreams, I'm all ears.
We might not need to ask for CommentStreams, if I'm reading two entries in the migration announcement correctly:

Quote: Once the migration is completed, does that mean the Comments extension will finally be enabled on all wikis? ?️ my Name is Katsumi KamenRiderRevice-logo.webp talk KamenRiderRevice-logo.webp contributions 13:50, 8 January 2022 (UTC)
The comments extension is active when connecting via SCSVG, yes. This will be automatic. ~ RhinosF1 - (chat)· acc· c - ( online) 12:10, 9 January 2022 (UTC)

Oh, and it's now 75 minutes into the 30-minute migration and Miraheze is still read-only. Not that I expected a seamless migration - from the announcement, it's obvious that they had no way to test things beforehand - but we can't even get a status update on Meta.

EDIT: No updates on their Twitter feed, either. And Phabricator is broken - https://phabricator.miraheze.org/ only displays error messages when Miraheze is in read-only mode. (Bad coding there, folks - the homepage should always be reachable, even if only to display a 404 message. What's happening now makes it look like the entire site is broken. somebody remind me to enter a Phabricator ticket about the bork once Phabricator is back online, please.)

RE-EDIT: 00:30 UTC and the wikis appear to be back... and slow, and tossing 502 and 503 errors up more than I'd prefer to see. As expected, the "recent changes" pages show only changes made on the new server, although the edit history is still present. Phabricator is still down.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-14-2022, 07:00 PM)robkelk Wrote: We might not need to ask for CommentStreams, if I'm reading two entries in the migration announcement correctly:

Quote:    Once the migration is completed, does that mean the Comments extension will finally be enabled on all wikis? ?️ my Name is Katsumi KamenRiderRevice-logo.webp talk KamenRiderRevice-logo.webp contributions 13:50, 8 January 2022 (UTC)
    The comments extension is active when connecting via SCSVG, yes. This will be automatic. ~ RhinosF1 - (chat)· acc· c - (    online) 12:10, 9 January 2022 (UTC)

Oh, and it's now 75 minutes into the 30-minute migration and Miraheze is still read-only. Not that I expected a seamless migration - from the announcement, it's obvious that they had no way to test things beforehand - but we can't even get a status update on Meta.

EDIT: No updates on their Twitter feed, either. And Phabricator is broken - https://phabricator.miraheze.org/ only displays error messages when Miraheze is in read-only mode. (Bad coding there, folks - the homepage should always be reachable, even if only to display a 404 message. What's happening now makes it look like the entire site is broken. somebody remind me to enter a Phabricator ticket about the bork once Phabricator is back online, please.)

Comments is for the blog comments. CommentStreams is a more wiki friendly discussion format without Flow issues and SocialProfile integration with avatars.