Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXIV
Ladies and Gentlemen, I have an update:

https://phabricator.miraheze.org/T8618#175019

CommentStreams would not be a very good replacement for Flow, and for various technical reasons the above link elaborates, it would be messy to decouple it from ATT as our default talk page extension and preserve history without dumping raw Json code in the main namespace, which would be really hard to clean up. As it is, the main server move has fixed all the performance issues we were having related to speed and timeouts, so unless a better successor to Flow comes along, we are stuck with it. Thankfully, it still receives critical bug fixes, so it's not likely to go unmaintained anytime soon.

With all that said, I have asked that part of our changes be placed on indefinite hold. I still said we would like to take advantage of ElasticSearch when that is available, that is still highly desirable.
Yeesh. I completely cleared out the mod queue by 5 PM EST yesterday. There are now sixteen more entries in it.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(01-20-2022, 01:59 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Yeesh.  I completely cleared out the mod queue by 5 PM EST yesterday.  There are now sixteen more entries in it.

Doing a quick look, maybe we should think about giving RivetVermin autopatrolled status. Note that I have not looked at TVT to see whether any of these edits are copied from there.

RivetVermin is doing a lot of work that I would end up doing if I saw it first, so this would be to my benefit... Smile
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
I have been checking against TVT. No one has recently infringed, at least not since ShawnTehLogoBoi last month. I would have no problems with giving RivetVermin autopatrolled/automoderated.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
I really, really wish the Moderation tool showed the edit reason on the diff page. I have come far too close to incorrectly rejecting edits several times because it doesn't.

Just sayin'.
-- Bob

(01-20-2022, 04:35 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I have been checking against TVT.  No one has recently infringed, at least not since ShawnTehLogoBoi last month.  I would have no problems with giving RivetVermin autopatrolled/automoderated.

It's been 23 hours since I asked and nobody's said "no", so I'm going to go ahead and do this.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Status update: According to RinosF1 on Phabricator (T7740), getting Elastic/CirrusSearch working is now on Miraheze's "to do before end of June 2022" list.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Okay, something's gone wrong. The main page and recent changes are both returning 502 Bad Gateway.
-- Bob

I'm getting 502s and 503s while editing pages, too.

Fingers crossed that this is solved before Friday, because I want to do a couple of bulk changes (which I will ask permission for once the wiki stabilizes). EDIT: They're now on the request page, here and here. I don't expect to need the entire five hours for both jobs, but this is the first bulk change I'm planning to make since the server migration, so better safe than sorry.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, those links worked for me, and now the recent changes page comes up, which it wouldn't for nigh unto four hours today. So yay.
-- Bob

It is now time to request ElasticSearch once it is available, by submitting this form.

Do we still want it on ATT? Search would be unavailable while it's being installed.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I think we would benefit greatly from it, based on what I understand.
-- Bob

(01-24-2022, 07:50 PM)robkelk Wrote: It is now time to request ElasticSearch once it is available, by submitting this form.

Do we still want it on ATT? Search would be unavailable while it's being installed.

They are currently testing it on some test wikis, will likely make it available once they have an idea of the loadbalancing. Note, we would need to enable the CirrusSearch extension (we can do this ourselves) and any other extension that take advantage of ElasticSearch like AdvancedSearch (which syncs with CirrusSearch) to derive actual benefits.

So do submit the form for them to enable it for us when it is available is my call.
Done. Phabricator ticket T8666
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(01-21-2022, 12:43 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 04:35 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I would have no problems with giving RivetVermin autopatrolled/automoderated.

It's been 23 hours since I asked and nobody's said "no", so I'm going to go ahead and do this.

I've been thinking that Agiletek has earned autopatrolled/automoderated.  Consistent good edits, no copyright infringement, no drama or issues.  Thoughts, opinions, brickbats?
-- Bob

(01-25-2022, 11:47 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(01-20-2022, 04:35 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: I would have no problems with giving RivetVermin autopatrolled/automoderated.

I've been thinking that Agiletek has earned autopatrolled/automoderated.  Consistent good edits, no copyright infringement, no drama or issues.  Thoughts, opinions, brickbats?

Agreed on Agiletek's quality of edits etc.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just a heads up for everyone -- keep an eye on Burnator. He just submitted a couple edits for Steven Universe that were in my opinion inappropriate anywhere but a YMMV subpage. First he added a link to a YouTube video with "And here's everything wrong with it!" to the main text of the work page, and also tried to submit a Laconic page which described it as a "Nazi space rock power hour" which "romanticized abuse".
-- Bob

So much for AdvancedSearch...

On Phabricator, Universal_Omega Wrote:We apologise for the inconvenience, but during initial attempted deployment of CirrusSearch/Elastica it was discovered that it is not compatible with our version of ElasticSearch (7.x). Unfortunately at this time we are unable to continue with the deployment of it. Therefore this must be declined. Once again, we apologise for not realising this sooner and for the inconvenience and fact we are unable to continue with this at this time.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, crap.
-- Bob

(01-25-2022, 12:17 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(01-25-2022, 11:47 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:

Agreed on Agiletek's quality of edits etc.

Okay, no one's objected, so I'm promoting him.
-- Bob

It occurs to me that we need to tweak "How We Do Bans Around Here" to account for moderation and to make it clear that bannable actions don't need to actually make it to a publicly visible wiki page to count as violations. Anyone care to propose some draft language to that effect?
-- Bob

(01-26-2022, 02:36 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: It occurs to me that we need to tweak "How We Do Bans Around Here" to account for moderation and to make it clear that bannable actions don't need to actually make it to a publicly visible wiki page to count as violations.  Anyone care to propose some draft language to that effect?

For consideration:

We have been using Moderation for new tropers' posts since early 2021; some edits are not immediately visible when they are made. However, this does not change the fact that the edits have been made; an edit that violates the wiki's Terms of Service or other rules is still subject to these rules, whether it is in the Moderation queue or the publicly-readable wiki pages.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
That's better than anything I came up with.
-- Bob

(01-26-2022, 03:55 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: That's better than anything I came up with.

Concur, Rob did good work on that.
Thanks.

With three mods in agreement, I'll add it to the page, then.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown