Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy Birthday, Ireland
Happy Birthday, Ireland
Little known fact of history.

Today makes the 100th anniversary of the final handover of power and control of Ireland from the United Kingdom, to the then new Irish Free State. Ireland is - at least in its current state - a hundred years old today.

It would be another 37 years and a minor Emergency before the Republic was declared but, for the first time in centuries, Ireland governed itself.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
RE: Happy Birthday, Ireland
(01-16-2022, 03:42 PM)Dartz Wrote: ... for the first time in centuries, Ireland governed itself.

Sounds like a good reason to celebrate!
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: Happy Birthday, Ireland
(01-16-2022, 04:02 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(01-16-2022, 03:42 PM)Dartz Wrote: ... for the first time in centuries, Ireland governed itself.

Sounds like a good reason to celebrate!

There were some quiet State celebrations in town today, with a small ceremony in Dublin Castle but it otherwise drifted past unnoticed.

It must also be remembered that, within a few months the new State would be facing into a civil war. At the time, the State had a status very similar to that of the Dominions - which, if I recall, riled some of those in the Dominions a little. It caused a far bigger conflict here. It split the then government almost down the middle - with many arguing the Free State gave the government the lawful means to achieve the full Republic in peace, while others argued that the Free State Government were sellouts to the Crown.

History has had its say since, but that shadows cast are long. The two main political parties in the State are still the descendants of the pro and anti-treaty sides.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.