Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[meta] 3D modeling - one Goddess found, (mumble) to go

Definitely a teen-ish Skuld, but looking good. The hair indeed looks right on the money now.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.

Well, truth be told, most of my characters tend to be teens, so I've had a lot of practice rendering teens.  Once I get the other Goddesses done, and put in a shot with Skuld, the size comparison should make Skuld look younger.  Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions on other ways of making her look younger.  (Don't let the SJGames people hear this, they'll burn me at the stake for being a pedophile.)
BTW, the hair is actually the Elleth hair and the Sleeky hair parented to the same place.  It only, usually, works well for dark hair colors.  So, for Skuld, that works.
When I get home, I'll post a final version of this current version of Skuld and throw Urd in the engine over night.
And I've got lots of sexy outfits that Urd can wear.  But, I'm going to start with just converting Holly over to Urd and see how that goes.

All righty then.  "Final" version of Skuld, baring further feedback.  Now Urd goes in the engine.  Mmmmmm, Urd.
Edit:  Purged pictures we're not using from my photobucket and Yuku galleries.  
And now for something completely different . . ..
Here's my first pass at Urd after 55 minutes in the engine.  I'm going to bed, so I'll have an updated version in about 8-10 hours.

Skuld's render is very nice. I figured out what was saying "teen" to me, and maybe it's something you can use for that youthening: limb proportion. Skuld's arms and legs are a bit shorter in proportion to her torso (which is also a little thicker). Otherwise, this is a very good Skuld-at-sixteen.

And despite the short render, the Urd image looks very nice, too. The face strikes me as off from the manga model -- it's kinda girl-next-door where Urd is a bit more arrogant/aristocratic. The art style makes her nose look smaller, but I don't know how well that would translate into a photorealistic render, though.

Regardless, great work.
-- Bob
---------

Here's the "final" version of that picture of Urd.  That model has practically no nose, which has made it difficult to put glasses on in previous pictures, but I can see about making it smaller.  As I said, this is my first go and I, pretty much, just updated my save of Holly to be Urd.  A lot of the images I see of Urd (okay, I look for pictures of Urd.  Mmmmm, Urd) make her look more distinctly Asian than the other two Goddesses.  If I gave the model black hair, she suddenly looks very Asian (had to show that to MonkeyFist a while ago); with any other color hair she looks incredibly exotic.
So, other than the nose, how is everything else?  How are the facial markings and the skin tone (both of which I've looked at for so long . . . I'm kinda numb to them).

Okie Dokie.  20 minutes of render time (I'll update the link before I go to work).  I've made some changes to Urd's face; MonkeyFist suggested some asymetrical clothing for her, so new clothes as well (I got plenty of sexy for Urd).  Also, I pulled the chainsaw out and made some changes to Skuld's body.  In relation to each other, what other changes need to be made?  Crap, I just noticed some pokethru on Skuld's leg.  I'll fix that and it should be in the updated picture (MonkeFist commented that I could fix that by putting her in a miniskirt).

And, here's the update before I go to work and see Suckerpunch.  It's after 2:45 in the engine.  Another update will follow when I get home.
Per MonkeyFist's suggestion, I went in and added some defining lines to Urd's marks.  I also fixed the leg pokethru on Skuld.

Oh yeah, that's starting to look and feel right.
-- Bob
---------

Hrm... dunno if the blue really suit Urd. IMHO, black and red or black and gold works better.

Here is the "final" version of the render.  I've got some friends, who do rendering and anime, out looking for a face for Belldandy for me.  While Urd and Skuld have some give to them, I'm sure that Belle does not.  If she's not right, then I've failed (her, at least, and that's bad enough). 
When I do this picture again, with Belle in the middle, I can change Urd's outfit color.  I'm going to see about getting a space/star/mystical mat for the dress (like the previous outfit for Skuld), but otherwise, I'll probably do it in black with a red or gold sash.  I'm also considering swapping the Goddess's positions. 
I almost made the Urd's dress deep purple, but MonkeyFist is red/green colorblind and purple is one of those imaginary colors to him. 
I don't think I'm going to need to do Rind, for DW, but MonkeyFist is insisting that I do her (he want's his blue-haired Valkyrie).
I know it sucks
All right.  I gotta start somewhere, so I'm gunna start here.  I know it sucks.  Absolutely nothing about this image is even remotely set in clay (I'm not ordering stone until I'm happy with some clay).  It's only been in the engine for 10 minutes, but there's enough detail to start making lists of what needs to be hacked and redone.
The mouth sucks, I know.  I'm trying to find a better face, but as it stands, this is my current, best estimate of a realistic-looking face for her.  And I could be totally off.  Next version (after feed back) I'll brighten her eyes like I did to Urd.

A couple of comments from someone who just woke up (so take them with a grain of salt)...

Maybe it's the pose she's in, but she looks to be as busty as Urd, which doesn't match canon.

She also looks like she's older than Urd, but that might be rendering artifacts putting lines on her face.
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012

Quote:Hrm... dunno if the blue really suit Urd. IMHO, black and red or black and gold works better.
Or leopard print. She seems to do a lot of that as well -- usually in combination with black and gold.

As for the new model, which I presume is supposed to be Belldandy. I'll reserve my judgment. Although if you have them, more housewifely clothing -- practically Kasumi Tendo -- is a lot of what she wears day to day.
-- Bob
---------

Yeah, despite A!MG-Urd being almost, but not quite,† entirely unlike a crone, she should definitely be the eldest. The feel I'm getting now makes Bell the eldest.

†: I feel I should explain: in Ah! Megami-Sama!, Urd has all the non-physical aspects of the "Other One", both mystical (culling, preserving, things associated with autumn and winter) and mundane (off-colour humour, meddling in others' love lives, general lechery). Only her physical appearance – arguably the least important part of being a Crone – fails to match.

Yet another vote for an animal print for Urd... its the one thing I was thinking when I was looking at em.. err... Her.

(Her eyes are up THERE you HENTAI *THWAP*)
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children

Rob:  Reduce chest size, can do.

The lines in her face are actually a mix between having to shrink her mouth and trying to make her smile.  Neither have worked, so, I’m desperately looking for a new face.

Bob:  I’ll see if I’ve got leopard print, or can find a leopard print texture and add that to the dress.  Also, I’m going to try to give Urd a more “come hither” look as opposed to a “deer caught in the headlights” expression.

That outfit is the closest thing I have to “normal” clothing.  I’ll have to look around and see if I can find something more appropriate.

Prog:  That’s done, in the anime/manga, via her eyes.  They’re always smaller and narrower than the other goddess’s, implying experience and distrustfulness.  Which, when dealing with “realistic” people has to be conveyed a different way.

SR4:  Well, I’m glad to see that I captured that aspect of Urd.  As MonkeyFist says anytime he sees that dress: “BOOBIES!”

All right, I’ll do some changes an try a new version of Belle, and throw that up here as soon as I’ve got something to show.

First off: I know.  This outfit is totally inappropriate for Belle.  I'm looking for a more house-wifey dress for her.  But, until then, I needed to put her in something and this fit her fairly well.  I see a lot of Belldandy pron on the web, and, well, that's not the point of what I'm doing here, so she needed something to wear.
It's only 30 minutes in the engine, but here's the new version. 
New, hopefully better, face.  Smaller bust.  Does she look younger?
Edit:  Deleted picture and link.

Mm. Yes, I think you're homing in on it now.
-- Bob
---------

So, here she is after 6:30 in engine.  MonkeyFist thinks the hair needs to be darker.  Me, all the pics I see say she has light brown hair, but the story says honey, so, it's up to Bob what color he wants me to make the hair (I could do purple, but, that's probably NOT a good choice).  I've been reading DW V and helping MonkeyFist with FNM all day, so I haven't really been looking for a dress for her, but that's still something I'm looking for (MF says she's way too sexy to work as Belle as she is).
So, I need feedback.  What needs to change?
Edit: Deleted picture and link

I apparently have a color classification problem on the border between blonde and light brown -- Belldandy isn't the only one I've seen as possessing blonde hair when others say otherwise (Nina Avins, for example). Do what works.
-- Bob
---------

Bob, I'm doin' the picture for you.  You tell me what you want, and I'll do my darndest to make it happen.

Belldandy is pretty hard to pin down, especially without a reference image for her face.  Fortunately, I found a decent one.
[Image: Belldandy.jpg]
So, her hair does need to be a touch darker.  The face may need to be just a touch wider, if only to allow those eyes to light up with just a small, sweet smile.  The most important thing about Belldandy is that she cannot be cold (unless she is righteously cheesed off).  To be Bell, she must be warmth and kindness personified.

All right, another update, before I go to bed.
I've widened her face just a hair, made her hair as close as possible to the colors I keep seeing, and tried to put a smile on her face.  So, here's the update after 25 minutes in engine.
Edit:  Deleted picture and link

Wow. That is a lot better! (O_O)