Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So... what with the FFML now gone...
So... what with the FFML now gone...
...and the newest DW-S installment coming out in just a week or so, where besides my own website should I start posting Drunkard's Walk?

Fanfiction.net is right out.  Every time over the last twenty years that I even idly considered opening an account there, they did something stupid and hostile against their own users that turned me right off.  Plus, I suspect their rules against songfic would make DW terribly unwelcome.

I already have an account on Twisting The Hellmouth, with chapter 1 of DW13 and a GGG installment there.  Their rules are reasonable enough that I wouldn't have a problem expanding my presence there.

AO3 is another possibility.  They seem to be run be reasonably sane people, but I haven't explored their rules in depth.

What do all you people think and recommend?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
RE: So... what with the FFML now gone...
I like reading on Ao3. I'm also less clear on the rules as a writer, but so it goes.
-Now available with copious trivia!
I believe TTH may have tightened up on non-BtVS stuff from author comments on some things I read there recently, but didn't investigate further. The SB family sites are probably not a good fit given chapter sizes and the time between each one. I would vote for AO3 if it's not too onerous to get set up, which along with being relatively sane and author friendly from what I understand, also has the virtue of working with Calibre/FanFicFare for easy ereader support. (And has direct epub format download buttons on each story page for that matter last I checked, but using FFF makes keeping your local copy up to date so very much easier.)
--
‎noli esse culus
SB and friends are very - odd

A03 is good. Although I've posted fairly little there you can basically post anything so long as it's properly tagged.

You can also have the oddest pairings .... like Fast Neutrons/Uranium 238.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
RAAC technically still exists, but it probably only has about three people who still pay attention to it. AO3 is pretty good; when the staff and volunteers can post RPF of themselves, that seems like a healthy institutional culture.
I mostly post on AO3, so I say do it there. Heck, transplant everything you've got there, there's no shame in it!
Wild, radical thought...

You could post it here.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Nah. Just post it somewhere that only prereaders can see so we never get to see chapter four.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
But... that's what I'm already doing.

Seriously, I do mean as an alternative outlet for people who aren't users of the site or forums. I wouldn't mind expanding the readership.

And AO3 is looking to be the site of choice.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
And now that DWS-4 is out, I guess it's time to get myself an AO3 membership, give their rules a careful once-over to make sure nothing in DW might violate them, and get to work on porting stuff in.
-- Bob

Love to see you on AO3, Bob. I still use FF.net even with all the rule changes, but AO3 is a good auxiliary site.
Canadian lighthouse to U.S. Warship approaching it:  "This is a lighthouse.  Your call!"
That reminds me... Wasn't all the FenSpace fics moved to AO3 as an archive measure as well?
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to rock the sky?
Thats' every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry!
NO QUARTER!

No Quarter by Echo's Children
Way back when, so long ago that I forgot I had an account there (and have definitely forgotten my password).
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(02-28-2022, 02:20 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: ...and the newest DW-S installment coming out in just a week or so, where besides my own website should I start posting Drunkard's Walk?

Fanfiction.net is right out.  Every time over the last twenty years that I even idly considered opening an account there, they did something stupid and hostile against their own users that turned me right off.  Plus, I suspect their rules against songfic would make DW terribly unwelcome.

I already have an account on Twisting The Hellmouth, with chapter 1 of DW13 and a GGG installment there.  Their rules are reasonable enough that I wouldn't have a problem expanding my presence there.

AO3 is another possibility.  They seem to be run be reasonably sane people, but I haven't explored their rules in depth.

What do all you people think and recommend?

I would suggest Spacebattles and Sufficient Velocity as the best sites to get a lot of readers and reviews.  A lot of authors post to both sites.  It's unfortunate you won't post on fanfiction.net as well; with the Communities its the easiest site to quickly access stories you really like to read and reread.
I do have a SpaceBattles account -- I created it a couple of years ago to contact John Biles, before I realized I couldn't initiate a private message exchange without establishing more of a presence there than I really wanted to waste time on. I suppose I could use that. But I'm not looking for a feedback group so much as just a distribution channel. I don't need someone going word-by-word through DW2 looking for things that need fixing -- it's been done nearly 20 years and I don't plan on changing anything in it beyond spelling errors that have somehow lasted this long. I just want to make my new (and old) stuff available more easily to a larger audience.
-- Bob

(04-06-2022, 07:24 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: ...  I don't need someone going word-by-word through DW2 looking for things that need fixing -- it's been done nearly 20 years and I don't plan on changing anything in it beyond spelling errors that have somehow lasted this long.  I just want to make my new (and old) stuff available more easily to a larger audience.

I suspect you'd get fewer edit suggestions if you mention that particular story is old enough to have a Y2K compliance statement. Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I wouldn't bother with Spacebattles since you update so infrequently. Someone would inevitably necro the thread between updates, getting it locked until you contact a moderator. Having to contact a moderator to unlock the thread every time you come out with a new chapter would be annoying. I believe Sufficient Velocity lacks the thread necro rule, but AO3 is still probably your best bet.
“I really hope I’m behind this convoluted mess; at least that way I’ll be able to get revenge by doing this to myself. I won’t even have to feel bad because it’ll be all my fault.” - Harry Potter, The Master of Death by Ryuugi.
additionally, DW chapters are kinda massive to be posting on SB/SV. you'd probably have to break each one down to multiple parts just to post it, which would be a pain.
It'd be interesting to drop it blind on a modern audience and see what the reaction is to people coming in cold.

(Well, they could google the site here, but, hey, few users on Spacebattles are that intelligent)

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
The first thing I'd expect to hear is "Where's part one?" Because god knows I got several dozen of those from the FFML in 1998.
-- Bob

Start with DW-5, follow it with DW-2, and claim Suzumiya Haruhi stole the Anachronic Order idea from you. Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(04-10-2022, 01:40 PM)robkelk Wrote: Start with DW-5, follow it with DW-2, and claim Suzumiya Haruhi stole the Anachronic Order idea from you. Smile

Or an accident with a time warp and a contraceptive modem  Big Grin
Heh.

I really need to act on this, but I just never seem to think of it when I have the time.
-- Bob

Time.....time....we have access to many different time machines so do not talk to me about time.....

Sorry, just had to leave this comment...