Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT][ARC 1] Planning for Season 1 - The Retcon
RE: [OOC][PLOT][ARC 1] Planning for Season 1 - The Retcon
Honestly though, unless anyone wants to use Robert in a lot of future stories, there's no real reason to rename him.  He posted that name in connection with the character and it's fine for what will effectively be a side character to share a name.  I mean, I can almost hear my SI, "Amy, meet Ami.  Ami, Amy.  Robert, that's Rob and Bob; Bob and Rob that's Rob & ert.  Got it?  You know what, just call me Bobby to keep things simple."

Partially related:
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I'm suddenly reminded of a certain Python sketch...
(11-08-2022, 07:04 PM)Norgarth Wrote: I'm suddenly reminded of a certain Python sketch...

Ah, yes - the one that I riffed off of one April Fools Day long, long ago (back in the days of Usenet), for the Rules of the Knight Sabers.

--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(11-08-2022, 06:19 PM)Labster Wrote: Honestly though, unless anyone wants to use Robert in a lot of future stories, there's no real reason to rename him.  He posted that name in connection with the character and it's fine for what will effectively be a side character to share a name.  I mean, I can almost hear my SI, "Amy, meet Ami.  Ami, Amy.  Robert, that's Rob and Bob; Bob and Rob that's Rob & ert.  Got it?  You know what, just call me Bobby to keep things simple."

Partially related:

Honestly, I'm more likely to use HAL than his landlord in a story.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Actually it turns out I’m going to write a story using Kestrel (and HAL) next. I’m planning on joining the first three stories I wrote together into one longer story. The first one had almost no changes besides five year old typos, the second one needed a little change to accommodate things learned during my SI’s job interview. The third, well, it’s getting expanded quite a bit. One new scene, reordering existing scenes, a couple of emails, and a bunch of telling without showing. Because I’m not planning to do too many more first-person stories, I figure a little more of my SI voice at the beginning is probably for the best.
Silly retcon, but can anyone remember why I originally put Alice Carroll as age 16? She enters the our story when she's a week from graduating from middle school -- 9th grade in Japanese schools -- so wouldn't she be 15? I think I'm going to change that unless anyone can give me a reason why she should be older.
I was wondering why she wasn't 15, too.

(In Ontario, one is required to stay in school until age 16, and Alice had to go back to school, so...)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I just added a bit to the short description of the premise, on our "Working notes for an All The Tropes page" page. Here's how it reads now, with the links to relevant tropes removed for readability:

Quote:Thanks to a multi-cause multiversal snafu, people from various works of fiction are being deposited into what would otherwise be a universe indistinguishable from Real Life beginning in late-2016. Trustworthy natives (including the self-insert characters of the writing circle who are outnumbered by Original Characters) are originally tasked with making sure these "displacees" have a place to live, but will end up taking on additional responsibilities ... especially when some displacees decide they don't like the arrangements in their new universe. Some will jump at the call to defend their new homes. Others will refuse it. Many will not be called at all. And they all have places in this world.

This could stand to be punched up a bit... or corrected if there's anything incorrect in the text.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown