Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV
Is this person a complete idiot, or do they think that we are?

When ObstinateOwlbear0's very first edit has the edit reason "changed mind, removed bullet", and also has the same formatting issues that we just called Crazymonkey out on, whoever "MentalstateAnimal" is claiming to be at the moment is as much as admitting they're using sockpuppets and have no intention of following the rules.

Move to block ObstinateOwlbear0 as an apparent sockpuppet of Crazymonkey.

EDIT: Also, could somebody else deal with the Moderation queue, please? There's another protest convoy in town this weekend, and my patience is all drained away as a result.

RoarkTenjouin: The usual "didn't use a template" issue. From the subject matter, I'm assuming it isn't on TVT... but I haven't actually checked.
ObstinateOwlbear0: discussed above. We might need to approve and immediately undo this one in order to have something in the history for the Stewards to run a Checkuser, so please don't summarily reject this one.
Crazymonkey: Same formatting issue that they were called out on previously. Somebody needs to point out "refusing to learn from an honest mistake" is bannable.
Happybirthday: Nothing obviously wrong, but I haven't had time to check whether it's copy-and-paste from elsewhere.

(diff | preview) . . N Trials in Tainted Space 01:41:39 . . +3,554‎ . . RoarkTenjouin [Approve Approve all . . Reject Reject all] . . [Mark as spammer]
(diff | preview) . . m Most Triumphant Example (Sugar Wiki)/A 2022-04-30T22:56:44 . . −478‎ . . ObstinateOwlbear0 (changed mind, removed bullet) [Approve Approve all . . Reject Reject all] . . [Mark as spammer]
(diff | preview) . . Cursed with Awesome 2022-04-30T20:28:38 . . +434‎ . . Crazymonkey [Approve Approve all . . Reject Reject all] . . [Mark as spammer]
(diff | preview) . . Punch Clock Hero 2022-04-30T16:10:27 . . +403‎ . . Happybirthday [Approve Approve all . . Reject Reject all] . . [Mark as spammer]
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(05-01-2022, 06:26 AM)robkelk Wrote: Is this person a complete idiot, or do they think that we are?

When ObstinateOwlbear0's very first edit has the edit reason "changed mind, removed bullet", and also has the same formatting issues that we just called Crazymonkey out on, whoever "MentalstateAnimal" is claiming to be at the moment is as much as admitting they're using sockpuppets and have no intention of following the rules.

Move to block ObstinateOwlbear0 as an apparent sockpuppet of Crazymonkey.

EDIT: Also, could somebody else deal with the Moderation queue, please? There's another protest convoy in town this weekend, and my patience is all drained away as a result.

RoarkTenjouin: The usual "didn't use a template" issue. From the subject matter, I'm assuming it isn't on TVT... but I haven't actually checked.
ObstinateOwlbear0: discussed above. We might need to approve and immediately undo this one in order to have something in the history for the Stewards to run a Checkuser, so please don't summarily reject this one.
Crazymonkey: Same formatting issue that they were called out on previously. Somebody needs to point out "refusing to learn from an honest mistake" is bannable.
Happybirthday: Nothing obviously wrong, but I haven't had time to check whether it's copy-and-paste from elsewhere.

(diff | preview) . . N Trials in Tainted Space 01:41:39 . . +3,554‎ . . RoarkTenjouin [Approve Approve all . . Reject Reject all] . . [Mark as spammer]
    (diff | preview) . . m Most Triumphant Example (Sugar Wiki)/A 2022-04-30T22:56:44 . . −478‎ . . ObstinateOwlbear0 (changed mind, removed bullet) [Approve Approve all . . Reject Reject all] . . [Mark as spammer]
    (diff | preview) . . Cursed with Awesome 2022-04-30T20:28:38 . . +434‎ . . Crazymonkey [Approve Approve all . . Reject Reject all] . . [Mark as spammer]
    (diff | preview) . . Punch Clock Hero 2022-04-30T16:10:27 . . +403‎ . . Happybirthday [Approve Approve all . . Reject Reject all] . . [Mark as spammer]

Just noticed this. The first is legit, they just need warned to recreate with the proper formatting. Rejected edit three and undid edit two cause I smell a sock too. Fourth is legit and approved.
Thanks, Geth.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Ah, geeze, that "I don't know how that happened" sounds real familiar, but I don't remember the plonker who was doing that, just that it was a few months ago.

EDIT: And of course the wiki would rather throw a "bad gateway" at me than search for anything other than a page name.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
We may also want to keep an eye on a new user with the name Troper1, who created his account just a few hours earlier -- and then created his userpages just a couple minutes before ObstinateOwlbear0.

EDIT: And another user who's been around a few weeks, Happybirthday. Similar edit patterns, but we haven't contacted him so we don't have an example of his response.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Looking for opinions on a change queued in Moderation. This edit by "Japan4Eva" is almost entirely original material except for the new entry for Downer Ending, which is about 90-95% word-for-word from TVT. How do we want to deal with this? Approve the edit then delete the infringing material, or reject the entire edit?
-- Bob

(05-01-2022, 08:06 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Ah, geeze, that "I don't know how that happened" sounds real familiar, but I don't remember the plonker who was doing that, just that it was a few months ago.

Iloveicecream, that's the name. And yeah, reading back through his talk page, Crazymonkey sounds quite a bit like him. I think we need to kick this up to the Stewards for a checkuser against not only CM but also Happybirthday and Troper1.
-- Bob

(05-02-2022, 09:31 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(05-01-2022, 08:06 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Ah, geeze, that "I don't know how that happened" sounds real familiar, but I don't remember the plonker who was doing that, just that it was a few months ago.

Iloveicecream, that's the name.  And yeah, reading back through his talk page, Crazymonkey sounds quite a bit like him.  I think we need to kick this up to the Stewards for a checkuser against not only CM but also Happybirthday and Troper1.

The editing styles of Crazymonkey and ObstinateOwlbear0 are nearly identical. May as well include Happybirthday and Troper1 at the same time.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-02-2022, 09:22 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Looking for opinions on a change queued in Moderation.  This edit by "Japan4Eva" is almost entirely original material except for the new entry for Downer Ending, which is about 90-95% word-for-word from TVT.  How do we want to deal with this?  Approve the edit then delete the infringing material, or reject the entire edit?

I'm tempted to err on the side of caution - reject the edit and explain why.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(05-02-2022, 02:00 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(05-02-2022, 09:22 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Looking for opinions on a change queued in Moderation.  This edit by "Japan4Eva" is almost entirely original material except for the new entry for Downer Ending, which is about 90-95% word-for-word from TVT.  How do we want to deal with this?  Approve the edit then delete the infringing material, or reject the entire edit?

Same. If they have to plagiarize anything, I'm not inclined to reward them even if the rest is fine. Either they do it all legit or they don't bother.
(05-02-2022, 01:27 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(05-02-2022, 09:31 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Iloveicecream, that's the name.  And yeah, reading back through his talk page, Crazymonkey sounds quite a bit like him.  I think we need to kick this up to the Stewards for a checkuser against not only CM but also Happybirthday and Troper1.

The editing styles of Crazymonkey and ObstinateOwlbear0 are nearly identical. May as well include Happybirthday and Troper1 at the same time.

Checkuser request made.

(05-03-2022, 12:33 AM)GethN7 Wrote:
(05-02-2022, 02:00 PM)robkelk Wrote:

Same. If they have to plagiarize anything, I'm not inclined to reward them even if the rest is fine. Either they do it all legit or they don't bother.

And this has been done, too.
-- Bob

(04-29-2022, 10:31 AM)robkelk Wrote: Is this something we have a use for on ATT? (Maybe on Character subpages?)

(04-29-2022, 12:39 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: We could apply that to the character images, yeah, and it would look quite nice. Maybe put it on the boilerplate for character pages to start with.

(04-29-2022, 01:24 PM)robkelk Wrote: I made a slight change to it for the TNB wiki to allow use of named colours in the borders. I'd recommend using that version if we go with this.

Finally got around to giving it a test-run.

Is it sufficiently shiny to roll out elsewhere?

I'd especially like to hear from somebody who reads ATT on a smartphone.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Considering we've requested a Checkuser on Crazymonkey, I'm not going to do anything with his(?) edits in the Moderation queue just yet. But if I was going to do something, I'd be deleting them outright because I'd have tempbanned him for making the same mistake after having been warned.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
At least one of his edits in the queue has a pasting error right at the beginning that garbles an introductory paragraph on the page, btw. Worth rejecting for, right there.
-- Bob

(05-03-2022, 08:17 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(05-02-2022, 01:27 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(05-02-2022, 09:31 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Iloveicecream, that's the name.  And yeah, reading back through his talk page, Crazymonkey sounds quite a bit like him.  I think we need to kick this up to the Stewards for a checkuser against not only CM but also Happybirthday and Troper1.

Checkuser request made.

And as of a few minutes ago, no response at all from the Stewards.  It's been several days now.
-- Bob

Given said user and their apparent socks are not listening to us and/or feigning ignorance when we they do respond and they are still spamming edits in defiance of Rob's emphatic warn to cease, I move we summarily reject all edits from the user/socks in question and give them a warning to cease on pain of ban. Besides, most of the edits still have the same errors in question and a few appear to have been poor ripoffs from the Shin Megami Tensei V article on TV Tropes.
Agreed. I'll do it.

EDIT: And he submitted another edit while I was typing the warning, so I know he's online to see the warning.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And he ignored the message. One-week block and summarily rejection of all pending edits.

On the bright side, that brings the moderation queue down to one pending edit, made today... by kuma.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Sorry to have disappeared, guys. Peg and I have traveled to Baltimore for our niece's first communion and we forgot to take the tablet I usually use for remote access to the forums and the wiki.

I endorse the actions you've taken with this guy -- and I'm growing increasingly annoyed with the stewards.
-- Bob

Hey, Rob... I was working on the two "tick, tick... Boom!" pages and the disambiguation page in parallel this morning... fortunately we didn't step on each other's toes too badly.

In other news, the Stewards finally got back to us about our checkuser request. See here, but in short, it's been too long to do any check against Iloveicecream, and there's not enough evidence to prove conclusively that our current users of interest are mutual sockpuppets, although there is some evidence. It was recommended that we approach them, point out the relevant Miraheze and ATT policies, and recommend disclosure of multiple accounts. (I will note that since we got no "hey, what gives?" messages from any of the suspected socks when they were tempbanned, I think we can be pretty sure that they are socks.)
-- Bob

Moderation queue is down to two entries, which I don;t have time to clean up after if I was to approve them. (And the pattern of the messes... either we should turn off the visual editor until the formatting issues are fixed, or we missed a sock.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I have seriously been considering moving that we get rid of the visual editor entirely. Socks or no socks.
-- Bob

I've always been annoyed whenever its presented to me, on any wiki. But I'm old enough to remember when the alternate was standard.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
So.... Happybirthday is back and filling up the mod queue.

Just sayin'.
-- Bob

(05-17-2022, 12:54 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: So.... Happybirthday is back and filling up the mod queue.

Just sayin'.

Apparently they left the account that got called out in the dust and assume they can just resume business as usual on the alt as if no one noticed. I say we disabuse them of the notion.

As for VisualEditor, we can disable it if need be making it a manual opt-in, or simply remove it entirely. To my knowledge this should not break anything we currently use, source formatting is the default standard and all our current features have source as the default fallback if VE editing is disabled or not working properly for any reason.