Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXV
(05-29-2022, 09:08 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(05-25-2022, 03:48 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: So what should we do about this asshole?
Said asshole tried to rules-lawyer out of Geth's warning. My reply.

Somebody else deal with him, please.

I have valiantly resisted the urge to call him out on cherrypicking a reference that suits his purpose, even though it is basically just the Appeal to Authority fallacy, because to refute him would come dangerously close to it, too.

We'll see what happens now that I've pointed him at the name change procedure twice now. Based on his behavior, I expect he's got too much ego invested in being "right" and won't want to risk it actually trying to do anything. I'll gladly wager that he'd rather do nothing and grumble about how the evil mods aren't listening to him, or something along those lines.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(05-30-2022, 07:17 AM)robkelk Wrote: Does this belong on Black Sheep Hit/Quotes, or should it go somewhere else?

{{quote|You know, there's an irony to this. Lenny [Kravitz] writes all of his own songs, but guess what was the biggest record of his career? "American Woman".
|[[Burton Cummings]] (frontman of [[The Guess Who]]), May 8, 2020}}

Yeah, that seems like the right place for it.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(05-31-2022, 07:31 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(05-29-2022, 09:08 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(05-25-2022, 03:48 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: So what should we do about this asshole?
Said asshole tried to rules-lawyer out of Geth's warning. My reply.

Somebody else deal with him, please.

I have valiantly resisted the urge to call him out on cherrypicking a reference that suits his purpose, even though it is basically just the Appeal to Authority fallacy, because to refute him would come dangerously close to it, too.

We'll see what happens now that I've pointed him at the name change procedure twice now.  Based on his behavior, I expect he's got too much ego invested in being "right" and won't want to risk it actually trying to do anything.  I'll gladly wager that he'd rather do nothing and grumble about how the evil mods aren't listening to him, or something along those lines.

As for the possible name change itself... According to DuckDuckGo, the term "artifact title" is used only on troping sites. "Legacy title" is a real-estate term. Considering we gave "power trio" back its real-world meaning, I doubt we want to take a real-world meaning away from a term. I didn't see any other proposed names.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
He's refusing to even recognize that he's a disruptive influence despite having been told repeatedly.

I'm out. Do what you want with him.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Nine individual posts in the thread? The guy is basically ranting at this point.

I called him on an Item One violation and gave him a two-week timeout.
-- Bob

Looks like Miraheze is down altogether - even downforeveryoneorjustme.com can't reach it.

EDIT: They're back.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Trope Workshop page has "{{cleanup|Needs an edit pass for grammar, usage and style.}}" at the very top of the page

Tropers ask: "Would brainstorming a new name help?"

This is why Category:Trope Workshop now has a DPL3 table listing the contents of all of the cleanup tags in the Trope Workshop.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Tired and not trusting my own judgment at the moment, so I'll just ask this before I logout for the night:

Should Stubs be merged into All The Tropes:Stub Pages?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(06-02-2022, 09:14 PM)robkelk Wrote: Tired and not trusting my own judgment at the moment, so I'll just ask this before I logout for the night:

Should Stubs be merged into All The Tropes:Stub Pages?

I would advise doing so.
(06-02-2022, 09:14 PM)robkelk Wrote: Should Stubs be merged into All The Tropes:Stub Pages?

Yes.
-- Bob

Adding "merge the pages about stubs" to my to-do list, then.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Quote:In preparation for the MediaWiki 1.38.0 upgrade on Miraheze, we will be removing the following extensions and skins on 12 June 2022: AddThis, FancyBoxThumbs, Foreground, GettingStarted, MagicNumberedHeadings, and Pivot. Some extensions listed here will be given replacements. You can learn more about this and what else to expect with the 1.38 upgrade here. Please note that this is not a final upgrade notice, and we are still a couple of weeks away from upgrading. A final site notice will be givin one week prior to the upgrade.

We have Foreground activated. I have no idea whether anybody actually uses that skin.

Oh, and Vector is being replaced as Miraheze's default skin by Vector 2022. <sigh> I don't know whether the "Use Legacy Vector" checkbox on Special:Preferences will be staying.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
What are the tropes in these web comics?

First, today's Girl Genius:

Quote:Krosp: You live dangerously.
Bangladesh DuPree: Yeah, but I live.

Second, today's Grrl Power:

Quote:Deus: Who doesn't want a room with secret panels?

Third, last Friday's xkcd:

Quote:Expert photographers can learn to generate their own motion blur to compensate for other people's bad camera settings.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Not sure off the top of my head about the first two, but the last sounds like Stylistic Suck.
-- Bob

Hrm... First one strikes me as something to do with a blasé attitude towards survivalism. Not sure if there's any tropes about that.

Second one is definitely a trope related to the eccentricities of super villains and evil overlords.
(06-05-2022, 08:31 PM)robkelk Wrote:
Quote:In preparation for the MediaWiki 1.38.0 upgrade on Miraheze, we will be removing the following extensions and skins on 12 June 2022: AddThis, FancyBoxThumbs, Foreground, GettingStarted, MagicNumberedHeadings, and Pivot. Some extensions listed here will be given replacements. You can learn more about this and what else to expect with the 1.38 upgrade here. Please note that this is not a final upgrade notice, and we are still a couple of weeks away from upgrading. A final site notice will be givin one week prior to the upgrade.

We have Foreground activated. I have no idea whether anybody actually uses that skin.

Oh, and Vector is being replaced as Miraheze's default skin by Vector 2022. <sigh> I don't know whether the "Use Legacy Vector" checkbox on SpecialTonguereferences will be staying.

Foreground going won't hurt too much. As for Vector, the legacy option will still be there

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Skin:Vector/2022
(06-06-2022, 07:15 AM)robkelk Wrote: Second, today's Grrl Power:

Quote:Deus: Who doesn't want a room with secret panels?

Found it: Wall of Weapons
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh joy. Kuma just let us know (s)he's done the needed "edit pass for grammar, usage and style" on Fantastic Tribulation in the Workshop. <sarcasm>Now we can launch it sight unseen.</sarcasm>
-- Bob

(06-08-2022, 10:21 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Oh joy.  Kuma just let us know (s)he's done the needed "edit pass for grammar, usage and style" on Fantastic Tribulation in the Workshop.  <sarcasm>Now we can launch it sight unseen.</sarcasm>

Suddenly, going through the moderation queue and fixing the formatting on Happybirthday's edits sounds like the attractive option.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Re this new redirect in the mod queue.

Do we have anything written down regarding redirecting a creator's nickname to a page about some of the creator's work?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Not explicitly, no. It should be in "When Not to Create a Redirect" on All The Tropes:Creating New Redirects, though, and when I'm done writing this post I'll put it there.
-- Bob

Done. It's the same logic as you use when pulling creator names as categories off the works they created -- the creator is not the work.
-- Bob

Heh. We had a vandal who is no doubt terribly confused why his attempt to deface Prehistoric Life/Dinosaurs/Large Theropods never appeared on the wiki. You gotta love the malicious but ignorant. I wouldn't be surprised if he tried again, but since I tagged him in Moderation as a spammer, we'll never know...
-- Bob

Is there any way to put a notice on a particular page's edit window? I know we have a rotating set of notices that show up on all edit windows.

I ask because there's an election coming, and I really want to put these notices on "Donald Trump" and "Joe Biden":

Quote:<big>Please keep in mind the [[Rule of Cautious Editing Judgment]]: If you would get upset if somebody said something about Joe Biden, or the way that something was said, then don't say it about Donald Trump. Also, "it's true" is ''not'' a defense against libel in the UK, where this wiki is hosted.</big>

Quote:<big>Please keep in mind the [[Rule of Cautious Editing Judgment]]: If you would get upset if somebody said something about Donald Trump, or the way that something was said, then don't say it about Joe Biden. Also, "it's true" is ''not'' a defense against libel in the UK, where this wiki is hosted.</big>
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Yes, actually. At the very bottom of MediaWiki:Editnotice-0 there is a section of stuff that looks like this:

Quote:{{#if:{{#ifeq: {{#titleparts:{{PAGENAME}}|1|1}} | Fanfic Recs | 1}}{{#ifeq: {{#titleparts:{{PAGENAME}}|1|2}} | Fanfic Recs | 1}}|<div style="text-align:center; background-color:#FFC850;margin:0px;">
Please add new Fanfic Recommendations to the ''bottom'' of the appropriate section. Thanks!</div> }}

which we use to put custom messages on subpage types. I don't see why the same kind of coding wouldn't work on specific toplevel pages.
-- Bob