Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT][ARC 1] Planning for Season 1 - The Retcon
RE: [OOC][PLOT][ARC 1] Planning for Season 1 - The Retcon
On coming out the back door of the farm, to realise the pen is empty

"As God is my Witness, I didn't know Turkeys could fly."

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
While searching for images, I ended up coming across a strange fan website: The International Saimoe League

So who is the most moe animu?  The archives go back to 2008, with annual contests and voting.  And our residents have won a few rounds. There are people you'd expect like Mio Akiyama, Mikoto Misaka, and Fate Testarossa (first ever Heavenly Tiara for her).  And then, in 2015, Accelerator won the male category and got the first ever Lapis Scepter.  Are we using the same definition of moe here?
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
Moe? Mean guy with a bowl haircut, pokes people in the eyes? <shrug> Your guess is as good as mine.

<grin>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
The wiki Wrote:[Appartements Mont-Royal Sud] started as a residence with an SI in residence. However, the writer dropped out of the project, and the forums, somewhere along the line of migrations from Yuku to Tapatalk to private hosting, so the building eventually became an NPC residence - until early 2022 in real life, when the active writers decided to retcon the list of the building's occupants and essentially turn the residence into a satellite of Blossom Apartments and Piffle Enterprises, both in Ottawa.

Given this, should we change the building manager's name? We've already made up what little personality (s)he has.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(07-11-2022, 11:49 AM)robkelk Wrote:
The wiki Wrote:[Appartements Mont-Royal Sud] started as a residence with an SI in residence. However, the writer dropped out of the project, and the forums, somewhere along the line of migrations from Yuku to Tapatalk to private hosting, so the building eventually became an NPC residence - until early 2022 in real life, when the active writers decided to retcon the list of the building's occupants and essentially turn the residence into a satellite of Blossom Apartments and Piffle Enterprises, both in Ottawa.

Given this, should we change the building manager's name? We've already made up what little personality (s)he has.

If it's just a satellite residence, maybe the name should be Akari Hisaki or Hitomi Himawari?
<rimshot>

But still good suggestions.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Considering what's just across the river from Montreal, maybe Cassiopée Bright would be more appropriate...

EDIT: And instead of crowd-sourcing her appearance, why not use one of the characters I picked up during last month's sale? Just give her an outfit that's less generic-fantasy and more modern-stylish.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just put Cassiopée into the building managers' most obvious minority group: married people. (Her husband Grahame works in the video game industry.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
> Her husband Grahame works in the video game industry.

Brent, in character: "My condolences."
Just did a bit of retconning the Halloween party story, including the scene where the host invites the folks in LA. Since this means I wrote dialogue that comes out of two SIs' mouths, I'd really appreciate folks double-checking that I don't have them saying anything weird or OOC.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I don't think my SI sounds out of character in any way, so you're clear there.

As for "why?" I can imagine Yui or Ritsu suggesting a party "so we can meet everyone". Made in the presence of Belldandy, however that happens, who says "that's a great idea. Do it."
-- Bob

Sure, why not? Add it in if you haven't already!
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh man, I like the phrase "deep in the heart of Joisey" far too much, for something OOC.  Would have only happened if Brent was thinking about Texas in the past 30 minutes, which he wasn't (there's nothing wrong with using brick jokes on people who wouldn't know the context, after all).  I'll think of something.
"Deep in the heart of Joisey" is a great line, and even better, it's a song by a classic NJ comedian, who had his own TV lo these many years ago, Uncle Floyd:

-- Bob

(07-12-2022, 06:42 PM)Labster Wrote: Oh man, I like the phrase "deep in the heart of Joisey" far too much, for something OOC.  Would have only happened if Brent was thinking about Texas in the past 30 minutes, which he wasn't (there's nothing wrong with using brick jokes on people who wouldn't know the context, after all).  I'll think of something.

I did say "That phrase lacks a certain something."...

(07-12-2022, 07:38 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: "Deep in the heart of Joisey" is a great line, and even better, it's a song by a classic NJ comedian, who had his own TV lo these many years ago, Uncle Floyd:

... but it appears Bob likes it. Of course, it could come from somebody other than Brent.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
More retconning - this time, the scene where the folks at the Masaki residence received their high school equivalency diplomas.

The Masaki residence, Vancouver, BC, Canada
September 22, 2016
3:49 pm PT

As everybody expected, everyone but Sasami passed the high school equivalency examination with flying colours, and Sasami was able to skip one grade at elementary school.

As Garnett passed out the documents that had been couriered to her at lunchtime, she noticed one entry on Washuu's certificate. "You went with the Christmas Cake joke?"

"Why not? Don't I look the part?" Washuu grinned as everybody else sighed or rolled their eyes.

Garnett's reply was a simple, "Tenchi, here's yours."

"Thanks. Does this mean I'm an adult now?"

Garnett shook her head. "Sorry, but you don't legally become an adult until you're 19. Or 18 if you move east. Until then, Nobuyuki-san still has the final say over your life."

Ryoko teleported over to Tenchi and smiled seductively as she caressed his cheek. "You should have said you were 20, Tenchi. Then the two of us could have been adults together."

"Tenchi-dono would never lie about something like that," Aeka rebutted as she pulled Ryoko away from Tenchi. "Besides, I'm sure that he would be much happier if he wasn't dating an older woman."

"Three years isn't that much older! Not like some people..." With that, Ryoko glared at Garnett.

"You are certainly correct there." Aeka joined Ryoko in her glare.

Sasami stood on tiptoe and whispered to Garnett, "Haven't you told them yet that you aren't interested in Tenchi-niisan that way?"

"Twice to each of them and once to both of them," the redhead whispered back with a bemused grin. "I don't think they're listening."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It's mentioned in They go to the land of the ice and snow that somebody at one of the buildings that isn't Blossom was granted a wish on November 21, 2016, and the wish was worded broadly enough for the megami to do all of the displacees a favor by bringing in something of a personal nature, assuming there was something that could be brought over. (The 33-Stars might not be included in this, and Hyoga definitely wasn't included - no personal possessions means nothing to bring over.) Specific items include Mikoto's collection of Gekota toys, Mii's motorcycle, and Mamoru's car.

Which person got the wish (displacee or manager)?

And what did everybody else get?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Tomo wants the keys to Chiyo's family vacation home, so she can lose them in this universe.  Wait, no, she wants Yukari's driver's license so she can protect the innocent.  Nah, they'd just make a copy.  Maybe her manga collection of Hard Press because you can't get it in this universe?

Kaorin wants her collection of Sakaki photos but whether she can bring herself to say aloud that she wants it is something altogether different.

robkelk Wrote:Sasami stood on tiptoe and whispered to Garnett, "Haven't you told them yet that you aren't interested in Tenchi-niisan that way?"

That doesn't make any sense.  All beautiful women are attracted to Tenchi, right?  She'll figure it out eventually, I guess.

Or it's a plot to get Aeka off guard, but that isn't going to work, because she's watching. Tongue

Another random thought that I think I should probably get down somewhere:

The competition-grade Angelic Layers (from Angelic Layer) have the ability to create virtual environments for the dolls to fight in.  (In essentially the same way as RWBY's arena for the Vytal festival switches environments.)  I don't feel like they have the technology to make holodecks yet, so I'm going to posit this: it's an optical hologram.  However, because the Layer makes the dolls move, it can also make them act as if they hit an object -- limbs could create a force, and electromagnets could cancel out momentum.  All of that would be really impressive, but only needing technology where I can at least imagine how it could work.
(07-16-2022, 10:55 PM)Labster Wrote: Another random thought that I think I should probably get down somewhere:

The competition-grade Angelic Layers (from Angelic Layer) have the ability to create virtual environments for the dolls to fight in.  (In essentially the same way as RWBY's arena for the Vytal festival switches environments.)  I don't feel like they have the technology to make holodecks yet, so I'm going to posit this: it's an optical hologram.  However, because the Layer makes the dolls move, it can also make them act as if they hit an object -- limbs could create a force, and electromagnets could cancel out momentum.  All of that would be really impressive, but only needing technology where I can at least imagine how it could work.

Makes sense to me!

A little more retconning, this time from the day that Blossom hires Maika:

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
November 24, 2016
7:27 pm ET

"Artie, a moment of your time, if you please."

Rob's expression showed he wasn't likely to take no for an answer. And so it was that Artemis and Rob were alone in Rob's office a moment later.

Artemis sat on Rob's desk and played with the computer mouse. "If this is about the maid you hired this afternoon, I already know that she's a sleeper agent for the group that Index-san belongs to."

"That saves us some time. I've already told her that we won't ask her to become a double agent."

"You're tying my paws here with that kind of promise, Rob. But I agree that she wouldn't make a good double agent. Everything in her source material indicates she's a living prop for her brother's cover story, not an agent in her own right. If I hired her, I'd have to train her."

Rob smiled. "So, no harm, no foul?"

"Not this time," Artemis replied. "But I might want to recruit the next spy that we meet, so please don't make that kind of promise again."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(07-16-2022, 08:56 PM)robkelk Wrote: And what did everybody else get?

That's a tough question. I've been sort of unconsciously assuming the K-On! girls arrived with their instruments as though they were carrying them to school, but for the drummers, at least, that's actually unlikely. So I guess at least they asked for their drum sets. (Unless we want to do a story where TNB!Bob&Peggy take them to the local Sam Ash or other instrument store to get them set up.) I really don't have a clue what the others might want, unless Mugi has a larger keyboard collection at home than she uses in school.

Similarly, I've envisioned the Bakuon!! girls as having arrived with their motorcycles (and as far as we know they're not in a Celestial-sponsored residence).

Everyone else... <shrug>. Nuku-nuku might misunderstand and ask for fish. Kyouko and Arisa might ask for Poison-1 (although an attack helicopter might be pushing the limits, even if they combine their wish). Beyond them... no clue.
-- Bob

As a minor note, Sylvie did have a motorcycle. This would explain how she got one again

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
As long as we're retconning...

I just noticed that the AzuDaioh girls arrive at LAX aboard a flight from Singapore. Google says that a flight from Manila costs approximately 2/3 as much as a flight from Singapore, and the girls were aboard a PT boat before they were delivered to an airport. (Yes, Kaorin and Yomi would think crossing that much of the Pacific in a PT boat would be a Hell of a ride.) Also, the flights from Manila are often late by up to a half hour, which would be the cherry on top of the sundae as far as Sebastian is concerned.

Just saying... Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
One more retcon today, but it's an important one in that it removes some setup for the core plotline that we've been asked to remove.

In Time Away, robkelk Wrote:Skuld glowed for a moment, then smiled. "Wish granted. And now I have to get back to Yggdrasil. Before getting to taste Mahoro-san's cooking, too."

"Do you want this back?" Rob held up Emotion-Restorer-kun.

"Of course I do! Who knows what trouble somebody could get into by using it incorrectly if I left it behind?" Taking the box from Rob, she finished with, "Until next time!" And she was gone in the glow from the teacup on the table.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(07-17-2022, 12:58 PM)robkelk Wrote: As long as we're retconning...

I just noticed that the AzuDaioh girls arrive at LAX aboard a flight from Singapore. Google says that a flight from Manila costs approximately 2/3 as much as a flight from Singapore, and the girls were aboard a PT boat before they were delivered to an airport. (Yes, Kaorin and Yomi would think crossing that much of the Pacific in a PT boat would be a Hell of a ride.) Also, the flights from Manila are often late by up to a half hour, which would be the cherry on top of the sundae as far as Sebastian is concerned.

Just saying... Smile

My intuition is that you're wrong on this, because airlines are astonishingly efficient at moving cargo that wants to go fast.

Wikipedia, PT Boat Wrote:Fuel consumption of any version of these engines was exceptionally heavy. A PT boat carried 3,000 US gallons (11,400 l) of 100 octane aviation fuel, enough for a 4M-2500 equipped boat to conduct a maximum 12-hour patrol. Some 200 US gallons (760 l) an hour were consumed at a cruising speed of 23 knots (43 km/h), increasing to 500 US gallons (1,900 l) per hour at top speed. Hull fouling and engine wear could both decrease top speed and increase fuel consumption materially.
source

760 L/h * 720 g/l= 547.2 kg/h

By comparison a Boeing 737-800 uses 2530 kg/h of fuel -- though this varies based on weight, and weight varies based on how long you've been in flight.

I'm not sure exactly where the boat appeared in the setting, but Manila to Singapore is roughly 1300 Nmi away -- if they're returning to Thailand anyway, any distance out there would be extra anyway.  Let's say it's somewhere near Palawan, so something like 250 Nmi away, 500 extra in round trip.  That's 200 gallons / 23 Nmi * 500 Nmi * $2/gal = ~$8700.  Somehow I don't think the airline costs are going to be that much more for 7 people.  And ~10 hours each way.

Of course if there's cargo, especially contraband, the economics change a lot.

I honestly didn't think about any of this when writing it, and kind of picked the place randomly.  Now I know a little more history, and know that the South China Sea is in fact a perfectly cromulent place to put a lady pirate.
(07-18-2022, 12:42 AM)Labster Wrote:
(07-17-2022, 12:58 PM)robkelk Wrote: As long as we're retconning...

Just saying... Smile

My intuition is that you're wrong on this, because airlines are astonishingly efficient at moving cargo that wants to go fast.

Wikipedia, PT Boat Wrote:Fuel consumption of any version of these engines was exceptionally heavy. A PT boat carried 3,000 US gallons (11,400 l) of 100 octane aviation fuel, enough for a 4M-2500 equipped boat to conduct a maximum 12-hour patrol. Some 200 US gallons (760 l) an hour were consumed at a cruising speed of 23 knots (43 km/h), increasing to 500 US gallons (1,900 l) per hour at top speed. Hull fouling and engine wear could both decrease top speed and increase fuel consumption materially.
source

760 L/h * 720 g/l= 547.2 kg/h

By comparison a Boeing 737-800 uses 2530 kg/h of fuel -- though this varies based on weight, and weight varies based on how long you've been in flight.

I'm not sure exactly where the boat appeared in the setting, but Manila to Singapore is roughly 1300 Nmi away -- if they're returning to Thailand anyway, any distance out there would be extra anyway.  Let's say it's somewhere near Palawan, so something like 250 Nmi away, 500 extra in round trip.  That's 200 gallons / 23 Nmi * 500 Nmi * $2/gal = ~$8700.  Somehow I don't think the airline costs are going to be that much more for 7 people.  And ~10 hours each way.

Of course if there's cargo, especially contraband, the economics change a lot.

I honestly didn't think about any of this when writing it, and kind of picked the place randomly.  Now I know a little more history, and know that the South China Sea is in fact a perfectly cromulent place to put a lady pirate.

Okay, yeah, bad idea. What Funtom saves in the airline tickets they (probably) lose in the PT boat fuel costs.

Unless, as you said, the Black Lagoon has a not-legal cargo along with the passengers.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown