Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[OOC][PLOT][ARC 1] Planning for Season 1 - The Retcon
RE: [OOC][PLOT][ARC 1] Planning for Season 1 - The Retcon
You have some of the most evil ideas.

I love them.

EDIT: As I exited the thread I suddenly had a mental image of a souped-up tractor roaring down Main Street in Lake Wobegon, Nora at the wheel and cackling madly, while Ren holds on for dear life and the rest of Team JNPR and Team RWBY running down the road after them.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Turbocharged with a Volvo engine.

Guaranteed to get you a date with your sister

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
During this week's writers' chat, we discussed adding Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water to the Metacontinuity (primarily, where to have them show up).

I just did some basic pages for the characters, deciding to take them from the end of the TV series but before the timeskip-epilogue.

Wikipedia reminded me of something I'd forgotten... somewhere between five and eight months after they arrive in the Metacontinuity, there's going to be a "blessed event". And the father's nowhere to be found. This would have been far more scandalous in 1880s France than it will be in 2010s USA.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
Quote:but before the timeskip-epilogue.

What, you don't want to have to populate 10-15 years of personal history for all those characters? But we have to explore how Marie grew up and didn't find Sanson's interest in her creepy! <grin>
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(08-26-2022, 01:22 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Quote:but before the timeskip-epilogue.

What, you don't want to have to populate 10-15 years of personal history for all those characters?  But we have to explore how Marie grew up and didn't find Sanson's interest in her creepy!  <grin>

And now we can, since they'll be living those dozen years in the Metacontinuity!
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm about halfway finished with the scene where Risky and Safety interview Brent for an apartment manager job.  They are quite a fertile ground for comedy, those little 'uns.  I'm glad I didn't write it the first time around, because I think this is working out well.  I have a beginning and an end, just need a lot more middle.  Not the story you asked me to write, but the one the muse wanted to write.

One oddity I thought it might be fun to address: Ryoko's tail.  She doesn't seem to have it in any of the nude scenes, but it expresses her emotions most of the time when she's clothed. The wikia says it's clothing, but how does it move around then?  If it's part of her, how does it change color?  I have two theories: high-tech catgirl fashion accessory, or being part masser means she can modify her body a little bit to hide her tail.

Quote:And the father's nowhere to be found. This would have been far more scandalous in 1880s France than it will be in 2010s USA.
She would have had enough people to establish a believable cover story, like, her husband was lost at sea or away in the colonies.  In the 1880s, France was conquering Indochina, so why not there?  Still it's less of a problem in Atlanta.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
We've had a bit of a talk about whether or not to include Noike.  I asked about why she was originally included, and the answer was what I was expected: she was just one of the gals who ended up living at Tenchi's house.  No other reason.

But, let's get into a talk about Tenchi Muyo OVA 3.  It's boring.  OVA 3 itself has Nobuyuki comment in character on how within the cast, each person has a natural enemy, as it were -- someone who can keep them in check.  So what to do they do to that?  Add Noike in to control Ryoko, take on the role of royalty and marginalize Aeka, be a cook who Tenchi likes better than Sasami, and help Tenchi and Ryo-Ohki in the field.  And not have any weaknesses -- except not being funny. 

Did the person who directed this season even like Tenchi Muyo?  Did they like Evangelion instead?  Do they understand how pacing works, or why they shouldn't spend the most time introducing us to the least important characters?  Was there even a reason to take their happy-go-lucky character and give her a tragic backstory that undermines all of the comedy she's been doing?  Because it sure wasn't for character development.

It's funny because watching it before, I'm sure I was like "oh well, it was fun but not as good as the last series."  And now that I'm trying to write fic about it suddenly my emotions are charged and I'm screaming "Who made this bloody mess?"

TL;DR Noike makes the other characters less interesting via Sueishness, and S3 was a mess overall, so let's limit our story to OVA S1+S2 as previously discussed -- with the possible exception of some of the infodump stuff at the end of S3E6, all of which were hinted at in the previous OVA.

/shrug And S4 so far seems to have replaced the character designs with ISO compliant anime designs.
Well, I think we were all tending to agree that Noike should get a ride on the character catapult already. This is just a reason give the winch another turn before we pull the release.
-- Bob

And I was the one who made that suggestion to begin with. (After retconning her out of The Big Raid because she wasn't adding anything to it.)

(08-30-2022, 04:50 AM)Labster Wrote: /shrug And S4 so far seems to have replaced the character designs with ISO compliant anime designs.

I remember when you could tell who wrote the anime's source manga by the character design styles... Now, everybody's using the same base CG character designs with little to no customization. (That makes preproduction less expensive, at the cost of giving the characters cookie-cutter designs.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Quote:Now, everybody's using the same base CG character designs with little to no customization. (That makes preproduction less expensive, at the cost of giving the characters cookie-cutter designs.)

"Only Six Faces" at ATT to become "Only One Face"...
-- Bob

(08-30-2022, 12:54 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
Quote:Now, everybody's using the same base CG character designs with little to no customization. (That makes preproduction less expensive, at the cost of giving the characters cookie-cutter designs.)

"Only Six Faces" at ATT to become "Only One Face"...

A long time ago, copy of CG software fall in spring, very sad.  Now is Spring of Drowned CG Anime Face.  Many, many fall in spring.

Just wanted to add how unusual it is that the English version of "I'm a Pioneer" is better in both lyrics and vocals than the Japanese version.  It's almost too bad they stopped doing this because I have heard some lame theme songs lately and I wonder if better versions could have been made.

As you might have seen, I finally got some inspiration in the first scene, which I hope feels like a hook.  But the scene with my SI and Risky is the one that's making the most progress.
Pioneer, um, pioneered really good translation of anime theme (and other) songs -- they did a good job with Moldiver's music, too. They really wanted to hit it out of the park with their first set of releases, and with the exception of the wooden plank they cast as Ross Syllabus in Armitage III they succeeded, too.

I haven't seen what you've written yet; I'll have to make time to look at it before tonight's meeting.
-- Bob

As a small update on our call:

First, the trope for stories that really grind your gears is Clock Tower.  That page is missing RWBY.

Second, I took a bunch of screencaps for exterior shots of the Kaleido dorms.  Can you believe that every single one has a slightly different color scheme and design for the railings?  Like, they all agree that there are triangles, and they're red and yellow... or just red, or just yellow.  Maybe they simply turn red at night? And the solid color definitely points up, or was it down?  Or maybe it's split in two?  Also that long walkway and railing without the supports shouldn't be cantilevered like that (a school in LA collapsed recently from that, thank God it was early-pandemic), oh wait they fixed it next episode.  Thank goodness, that was a big safety issue!

The cafeteria shows it having an vaulted ceiling above where you can see the pitched roof -- I think this is what you see in the middle of the complex, on the landward side of the building near the stairs.  Some shots show 3 full levels of apartments, some show only 2 with other buildings below.  And then we have this:

I have been spoiled by the *chef's kiss* perfection of the architecture in Tenchi Muyo.  I would upload some of these screenshots to the wiki, but they would probably just add more confusion, and stymie the creative process with structure we won't need.  Anyway other things I noticed:
* Sarah is on the ground floor, with a double-size apartment near the windowed courtyard side of the cafeteria.
* There is definitely common area at the front of the building on the first floor.  I don't know what, but I saw characters walk out of one, and another door across from the elevator have had a "closed" sign -- which I think is the cafeteria
* Actually I think the elevator is in a hallway behind where I have "1st floor" and "2nd floor" written above -- you can see it in some shots but I think it was forgotten here.
* There's some parking out near the gym (completely empty of course because this happens all the time), not sure if it belongs to the residents or the troupe in general.
* Possibly a tile courtyard behind the cafeteria -- or maybe it's a large net covering the underground parking level below?  Circus people would do that, right?
* Oh wait, found another angle, overhead.  Two tiled areas, with a large tree in the middle of the courtyard (and really too shallow apartments and missing walkways).

Modern anime would have made a 3D model, but that never happened here.  I do wonder about parking, though.  Is it mainly college age kids (and younger) living a dorm lifestyle, or is it a place where longer term residents would want to have cars?  Worrying about parking is basically how I do deconstruction for slice of life lol.  I still think we put some amenities on the first floor, though: laundry, gym, dojo (Sarah's fault), social rooms, dance studio/barre.

Should I just give in and import the gym too?  There's a nice empty, partially flooded spot near Basin B in Marina Del Rey on Tahiti Way -- it's just a short walk across the Lighthouse Street bridge from the dorms.  Otherwise it's going to be hard for them to get practice space.  Of course, maybe that's a good plot.

Anyway, back to Safety-chan.
If we can import the gym without breaking reality too much, sure, why not? They're close enough that they really are (or should be considered) a single complex, after all.

And thanks for all the work you did basically because I caused the question to be raised.
-- Bob

(09-01-2022, 02:15 AM)Labster Wrote: Should I just give in and import the gym too?  There's a nice empty, partially flooded spot near Basin B in Marina Del Rey on Tahiti Way -- it's just a short walk across the Lighthouse Street bridge from the dorms.  Otherwise it's going to be hard for them to get practice space.  Of course, maybe that's a good plot.

If you can figure out how to squeeze it in, why not include it?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Speaking of updates to our call... I shared the start of a story where all of the missing Senshi's appearances are described. I suppose that should include the Asteroid Senshi...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And I'm now a fair way into that scene you asked me to write. It's probably coming out longer than you anticipated, but, well, that's because you asked me to write it.
-- Bob

(09-01-2022, 11:32 AM)robkelk Wrote: Speaking of updates to our call... I shared the start of a story where all of the missing Senshi's appearances are described. I suppose that should include the Asteroid Senshi...

Hmmmm....

The Crossover episode of the century when Sailor Frigga shows up?

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
Subaru Mikage is a "Miko fighter obsessed with hero stories", according to All The Tropes. She's also a romantic at heart. In the Metacontinuity, she lives at Douglass Gardens Apartments - which is where, post-retcon, Tuxedo Mask is displaced to (although he won't be staying for long).

I think this subplot writes itself... Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Hm. i was going to have them meet Azusa or Yui, but...
-- Bob

One thing I have meant to share for a while but I haven't yet is: the Mandela Effect, which is essentially a mass false memory.  These absolutely could be explained by parallel realities.  And who wouldn't watch Sinbad playing a genie, right?
(09-01-2022, 07:17 PM)robkelk Wrote: Subaru Mikage is a "Miko fighter obsessed with hero stories", according to All The Tropes. She's also a romantic at heart. In the Metacontinuity, she lives at Douglass Gardens Apartments - which is where, post-retcon, Tuxedo Mask is displaced to (although he won't be staying for long).

I think this subplot writes itself... Smile

(09-01-2022, 07:47 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Hm. i was going to have them meet Azusa or Yui, but...

That was something else I was considering: Azusa's first crush, and her first heartbreak once Mamoru turned her down gently. (She attended an all-girls school, so it's possible she didn't have a boyfriend at all in her home reality.)

Azusa would eventually get over it. Subie-chan would see a plot designed to keep her and Mamoru apart.

(09-02-2022, 02:49 AM)Labster Wrote: One thing I have meant to share for a while but I haven't yet is: the Mandela Effect, which is essentially a mass false memory.  These absolutely could be explained by parallel realities.  And who wouldn't watch Sinbad playing a genie, right?

Nah... Sinbad vs. Harryhausen-style monsters.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just an odd voice note.  The long time seiyuu Takehito Koyasu  is shared with some of our other characters
* Yosho Masaki (not when he's being Katsuhito)
* Fool (Kaleido)
* Touga Kiryuu
* Shigeru Aoba (NGE)
I just came up with something either excellent or horrid...

We're naming each of the post-retcon stories, and filling in some gaps in the narrative while we're at it. Thus, we need some titles.

We've already established that the Fate/stay night characters ended up in Montreal, and Belldandy put the Grail War on hold. People speak French in Montreal.

French... Grail... Not seeking the Grail...

Their intro story title is (at least for now) "No thanks, we've already got one"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Two Thumbs Up!
-- Bob