Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bake sales and other fundraisers
Bake sales and other fundraisers
As part of the retcon, we've moved the place in Nova Scotia from the middle of orchard lands to just across the highway from a university. Which means I need to re-write every single Ranma ½ character writeup's "Changes in the Refuge" section.

So of course I started with Kasumi Tendo.

Quote:Kasumi has more time to read and study than she did at home, since Epsilon is taking care of much of the building upkeep. This is letting her informally pursue her interest in chiropractic medicine (the one that she had to abandon when Dr. Tofu stopped showing up in canon; she borrowed books from him at least once). Eventually, she'll overhear somebody who is shopping at the nearby grocery store mention the "Bachelor of Arts & Science in Health" program at St. Francis Xavier University... and StFX is literally just the other side of the highway from her new home. All that's stopping her from attending university is a grade transcript (which HAL 9000 can produce for her easily) and money (which is more difficult).

Kasumi isn't stupid (and definitely isn't as stupid as Flanderization made her out to be), but she isn't a genius, either; she doesn't qualify for a full scholarship. And Soun isn't rolling in cash, either. Nabiki... would no doubt prefer to use her own money for herself. Akane, Ranma, and Genma are more likely to cost the Tendos money than to raise any. The "Chinese Amazons" are more likely to use their money to open a restaurant than to spend it on someone else's education, and Ukyo's in the same position but with a different restaurant.

Hence the title of this thread: "Bake sales and other fundraisers"

Any ideas on how the eldest Tendo daughter can afford to attend university? Bake sales only go so far, even if they're held across all of the displacees' residences. And this being set in the "we're keeping our metahuman abilities secret" phase of the story, monetizing superpowers is out, too.

EDIT: Let's generalize the question, because there's a building in Venice Beach with a half-dozen students who need the same question answered, and some more such displacees in Montreal. And the residence in New Brunswick Somerset is pretty much intended to house students.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: [OOC][Arc 1] Bake sales and other fundraisers
Regarding the Nova Scotia residence, one idea that came up in tonight's teleconference was, basically, to use the "almost-restaurant-ready breakfoost nook" (as I think you described it) as a restaurant, a joint enterprise run by Ukyou and the Amazons, an authentic "Asian fusion" place.

As for Douglass Gardens, I'd need to do a little research on net-based music sales and doujins...
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
And the Lake Wobegon residence is going to lease most of its land out to a neighboring farmer and make money from being a working farm.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Don't forget that at the end of season five, several of the Scoobies are (or appear to be in Anya's case) college-age. Willow (and Oz if he's around and interested) is/are smart enough for full-ride scholarships; the rest, not so much.

Xander doesn't think he's qualified for college. I plan to hire him to help maintain the residence and point him at a local vo-tech in South Philly (if I can't find one closer).

Anya is probably more interested in starting her own business than going to college. I plan to point her, the Takamachis, and anyone else in the residence interested in starting a business at the Women's Opportunities Resource Center, an organization aimed at helping people, especially women, become financially independent. They offer classes in starting and operating small businesses, can put business owners in contact with lawyers and accountants with appropriate specialties, and can help with SBA loan applications.

Oh, I'd considered the possibility of Giles getting a job at U Penn in the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations. If that happens and we can arrange for him to become Tara's and the Summers girls' legal guardian, then Tara and Buffy (if she's alive) would qualify for any discounts offered to faculty offspring.

Throw in Angel and company, and Cordelia and Faith are also college age although Faith would need to get a GED first. Oh, and Faith never murdered anyone in this universe, so she doesn't have a criminal record. Honestly, I'd point her at the Community College of Philadelphia before any four-year institutions anyway.

Momoko: I ran my own business for several years. Why do you think I need a business class?
Raven: That was in Japan.
Momoko: So?
Raven: You'll need to learn about the laws that apply to businesses here and they're probably quite different from the laws in Japan.
Momoko: Oh, that's a good point.
Something for the long-term planning. There's at least one Ivy League alum (me) among the managers who'd be willing to make recommendations to his alma mater's admissions department (alums' voices matter).

Alumni children get favorable treatment in admissions, too, but I can only pretend to be the father of so many applicants before the Dean of Admissions starts getting suspicious. And I'd probably reserve that for one or two of the current high-schoolers at DGA.
-- Bob

And I'm a Seven Sisters alum which should be worth something if anyone's interested in going to Bryn Mawr or Haverford. Bryn Mawr is very pagan friendly which might appeal to Tara.
RE: Bake sales and other fundraisers
Just realized that there are some folks who will be perfectly happy skipping university altogether. (Shiage Hamazura, for example, looks to be content being a professional driver.)

And, if I recall correctly, vocational schools -- assuming they even exist for particular specializations -- don't offer scholarships.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
* robkelk blows dust off thread

Sugawara no Michizane will not sit still for scholars being denied the opportunity to study just because of money -- once he discovers this state of affairs. While he doesn't have a lot of money himself, he does have connections. Thus, there won't be any unclaimed scholarships anywhere in 2017; the ones that would otherwise have gone unawarded end up going to displacees instead.

Assuming, of course, that he hears about the problem.

And there still won't be enough scholarships to go around, and what's available to displacees might tend to be at the "buy you some textbooks" level instead of the "pay for your major for a year" level. But it's a start.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Tongue-in-cheek response, here, but I presume OnlyFans/posing for R34 isn't an option here? :-) Considering what Nabiki often does with photos of Ranma in fics already...(I forget if she did the 'sell photos to Kuno' thing in the actual series or not).
33-Stars just entered the chat....

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

One day they're going to ban them.
(10-18-2023, 02:41 PM)Vulpis Wrote: Tongue-in-cheek response, here, but I presume OnlyFans/posing for R34 isn't an option here? :-) Considering what Nabiki often does with photos of Ranma in fics already...(I forget if she did the 'sell photos to Kuno' thing in the actual series or not).

Oh, god. I could just see Nabiki registering an account at OnlyFans under a name like "SleepyGal" and only putting up shots taken while Ranma's asleep.

However, in keeping with the setting's concept, Reality would certainly Ensue.

First, OnlyFans was only launched in November 2016, and it took a couple years after that for it to hit critical mass and become known for NSFW content.

Second, think of all the legal hot water Nabs could get herself into with such a scheme. She's smart enough not to try something like that, regardless of greed, but if she did, Ranma and/or the Canadian government going after her would make for an interesting story... Canada in 2016 is not Japan in 1989 and if she goes ahead without checking on the differences, she will get tripped up somewhere.

EDIT:

Quote:(I forget if she did the 'sell photos to Kuno' thing in the actual series or not).

She did, and IIRC she actually went so far as to sell handkerchiefs throughout Japan (and maybe Korea, too? I don't remember) with a cheesecake image of Ranma on them. (At least I'm pretty sure I remember seeing page shots of that.)
-- Bob

(10-18-2023, 02:53 PM)Dartz Wrote: 33-Stars just entered the chat....

"Oh, hi! Are you here to play a fundraising concert?"
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-18-2023, 03:43 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Second, think of all the legal hot water Nabs could get herself into with such a scheme.  She's smart enough not to try something like that, regardless of greed, but if she did, Ranma and/or the Canadian government going after her would make for an interesting story...  Canada in 2016 is not Japan in 1989 and if she goes ahead without checking on the differences, she will get tripped up somewhere.

That's something that Epsilon would tell her for free: Since Ranma is under 18, any photos showing "naughty bits" are illegal in Canada. Even if Ranma posted them himself.

As for the other photos, do you have a model release form?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(10-18-2023, 05:19 PM)robkelk Wrote:

I think somewhere in the document I have was the line "There's this new site called OnlyFans that might work...."

But that works too.

I love the smell of rotaries in the morning. You know one time, I got to work early, before the rush hour. I walked through the empty carpark, I didn't see one bloody Prius or Golf. And that smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole carpark, smelled like.... ....speed.

(06-08-2022, 04:19 PM)robkelk Wrote: Any ideas on how the eldest Tendo daughter can afford to attend university?

And now the matter has arisen in-universe, so as far as Kasumi is concerned this isn't theoretical any more.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I still think we should leave the bake sales to Team Ichigo.
"Kitto daijoubu da yo." - Sakura Kinomoto
I've been imagining Ascot setting up a lemonade stand on the corner of Annette and Hamilton, with one of his "friends" looming over him...
-- Bob

Ascot... that's the summoner kid from Magic Knights Rayearth, right? I can picture that. 8D
Yeah, that's him. Bobbing up and down on a bit of floating rock...
-- Bob

And cheesecake. Lots of cheesecake.

(10-18-2023, 05:51 PM)Dartz Wrote:
(10-18-2023, 05:19 PM)robkelk Wrote:

I think somewhere in the document I have was the line "There's this new site called OnlyFans that might work...."

But that works too.

Given their attitude toward Page 3, I thought OnlyFans was a non-starter. Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It's more about agency really - having the choice rather than just being a thing.

And there're things other than pr0n on OnlyFans......

Slightly more serious suggestion...how long has YouTube been monetized, I forget? For that matter, if you want to get self-referential, you could have the residents attempt to sell fanfic...or come to think of it, how hard would it be for the residents to, as it were, 'meet their maker'..and then get permission to make movies?