Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVI
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVI
I just did.

It's a "police blotter" column including a report that somebody with the same name was charged with having sex with a teenager who was known to the person who was charged.

Teens are not prepubescent, and thus the information added to the wiki was false. I've placed the troper On Notice.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(12-15-2022, 03:06 PM)robkelk Wrote: I just did.

It's a "police blotter" column including a report that somebody with the same name was charged with having sex with a teenager who was known to the person who was charged.

Teens are not prepubescent, and thus the information added to the wiki was false. I've placed the troper On Notice.

Sounds to me like we need to tweak our "don't cite unless a news article has a reputable claim of legal trouble" rule. On top of citing a reputable citation, the summary given on our wiki should reflect what the article link alleges as should make plain we are simply going by the public information at hand. That should provide, at least under American law, a reasonable claim of good faith on our part.
(12-15-2022, 03:51 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(12-15-2022, 03:06 PM)robkelk Wrote: I just did.

Sounds to me like we need to tweak our "don't cite unless a news article has a reputable claim of legal trouble" rule. On top of citing a reputable citation, the summary given on our wiki should reflect what the article link alleges as should make plain we are simply going by the public information at hand. That should provide, at least under American law, a reasonable claim of good faith on our part.

Unfortunately, the wiki is under UK jurisdiction, and what you've described doesn't necessarily count as a defense there.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just bringing this up because it's political and I created the page the edit was on.

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...odid=18229

I rejected this not only for terrible spelling and grammar, but also for going into ad hominem territory. I'd be pleased to see proof to the contrary of the assertions made, but this edit did not do so.

If anyone on the admin team objects, please comment here: https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...on=history
No objections here. Thank you,. Geth.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
On the note of that, I've been trying to make sure that my edits regarding the ElonJet controversy doesn't step outside the bounds of anything that was already reported.
(12-16-2022, 11:33 AM)Umbire Wrote: On the note of that, I've been trying to make sure that my edits regarding the ElonJet controversy doesn't step outside the bounds of anything that was already reported.

According to this, Elon may have a leg to stand on in a legal sense:

https://www.aviationtoday.com/2020/11/04...-thus-far/

Basically, he paid for his official tracking information to be off the books. Of course, this does not mean someone cannot use other data to figure out what jet is his own, but the official tracking data is hidden due to a service he paid for to make that so. I'm not entirely clear on all the specifics of this, but I do believe it wise to point out this information as well.
(12-16-2022, 11:52 AM)GethN7 Wrote:
(12-16-2022, 11:33 AM)Umbire Wrote: On the note of that, I've been trying to make sure that my edits regarding the ElonJet controversy doesn't step outside the bounds of anything that was already reported.

According to this, Elon may have a leg to stand on in a legal sense:

https://www.aviationtoday.com/2020/11/04...-thus-far/

Basically, he paid for his official tracking information to be off the books. Of course, this does not mean someone cannot use other data to figure out what jet is his own, but the official tracking data is hidden due to a service he paid for to make that so. I'm not entirely clear on all the specifics of this, but I do believe it wise to point out this information as well.
Right, I've edited that in - but I think it's also worth mentioning for the discussion (if not in the article) that there's no encryption of the data as well. Additionally, the promise not to ban the account (which is very much on public record) should not have been made if such was the case - there's also the way the ban was carried out and transparently justified post-hoc, as well as the attempted subsequent doxxing of someone he claimed was an alleged stalker, all covered in the Vice article beyond this link.
(12-16-2022, 11:05 AM)robkelk Wrote: No objections here. Thank you,. Geth.

Likewise, no objections. Between illiteracy and ad hominem, there was nothing of worth in that edit.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Speaking of legal standing, I guess Elon's just gonna walk into every EU violation possible. Or something, god knows what he's actually thinking (or if he cares) at this point.
Not the place, Umbire.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Before I forget again, I'd like to nominate Haggishunter for automod status. Consistent good edits since joining the wiki in September, no copyright issues ever, and he's proven willing to engage with us and take advice.
-- Bob

Also, if no one objects, I'm going to formally reject that edit of Horny's to Casting Couch which we've been sitting on for most of a month. I won't notify him about it, I'm just going to silently send it to the bitbucket.
-- Bob

(12-18-2022, 05:36 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Not the place, Umbire.

Train of thought derailed from making sure recent Twitter article additions were up to snuff - apologies for that.
(12-19-2022, 10:33 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Before I forget again, I'd like to nominate Haggishunter for automod status. Consistent good edits since joining the wiki in September, no copyright issues ever, and he's proven willing to engage with us and take advice.

Agreed. They'd probably like the Christmas present.

(12-19-2022, 11:48 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Also, if no one objects, I'm going to formally reject that edit of Horny's to Casting Couch which we've been sitting on for most of a month. I won't notify him about it, I'm just going to silently send it to the bitbucket.

No objection here.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-19-2022, 12:38 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(12-19-2022, 10:33 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Before I forget again, I'd like to nominate Haggishunter for automod status.  Consistent good edits since joining the wiki in September, no copyright issues ever, and he's proven willing to engage with us and take advice.

Agreed. They'd probably like the Christmas present.

(12-19-2022, 11:48 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Also, if no one objects, I'm going to formally reject that edit of Horny's to Casting Couch which we've been sitting on for most of a month.  I won't notify him about it, I'm just going to silently send it to the bitbucket.

No objection here.

Same, no objections here either.
Okay, the edit's been binned, and I'll set up HH in just a few minutes.
-- Bob

Do we have a page for the Stock Phrase "X, thy name is Y"?

The original is "Frailty, thy name is woman", from Hamlet, but I don't see that construction listed as a trope on our page for the play.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Doesn't ring a bell. Is it on the Stock Phrases or Stock Shout-Outs pages?
-- Bob

It doesn't appear to be.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just dashed off another navbox. Amazingly, we already had all of the pages listed in it.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Did some cleanup in the six sub-subpages under Live-Action TV/Tear Jerker. We're now down to three sub-subpages under Live-Action TV/Tear Jerker.

On the off-chance that somebody wants to give the wiki a Christmas present... This sub-subpage has 41 lists of Tear Jerkers sorted by series that already have Tear Jerker subpages -- somebody with some free time could merge these into the relevant pages, removing duplicates while ensuring we don't lose any information.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Geth, I'm still finding pages that haven't been reverted from when gethbot replaced [[Category:{{PAGENAME}}]] at the start of the category list with  [[Category:{{subst:PAGENAME}}]] at the end of the category list.

I thought you said that you were going to fix that...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(12-23-2022, 10:38 AM)mrobkelk Wrote: Geth, I'm still finding pages that haven't been reverted from when gethbot replaced [[Category:{{PAGENAME}}]] at the start of the category list with  [[Category:{{substTongueAGENAME}}]] at the end of the category list.

I thought you said that you were going to fix that...

If you can give me a list of pages to fix, I can bot run that ASAP.

I'd rather not run that blind though, so a discrete number of pages (as opposed to leaving a bot on for days to scan our massive database) would be ideal.

Bob, we need new thread, this one is at it's limit.