Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Teaser from Story 1...
A Teaser from Story 1...
Quote:On this planet, they called it the monomyth, but it had other names among the multitude of races in the galaxy.  Some called it the "tale of tales", while others called it "the path passing the gods."  But the elements of the story of a hero's journey remained astonishingly similar across nearly all of the races that Dr. Washuu Hakubi had encountered.  And the ones that didn't?  Well, they were all an exceedingly tedious lot, whose cultures' only story tended to be along the lines of "we will gloriously exterminate everyone else."  Dreadfully boring, and boringly dreadful, she believed.

She had first come to investigate this field of inquiry while thinking about Tenchi Masaki, which was the favorite pastime in the household where she had found herself the past few months.  All of the women there, without exception, had a romantic interest in Tenchi, but Washuu additionally had an academic interest, too.  It had started as a scientific investigation, as she assessed how his power had developed.  But as she began reading the literature of his home planet for fun, she began to see similarities in those stories to Tenchi's experiences, and to other stories from distant worlds.  And soon, she found her research reaching deep into the humanities.

Perhaps her research would have stayed in the humanities, if she hadn't noticed the letters.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
RE: A Teaser from Story 1...
Another teaser:

Quote:[Jenny] heard a crash from the far side of the house. Time obviously being of the essence, she shifted over to see that a DeLorean with some very recognizable customizations had crashed into what appeared to be a 1960s-era London Police Public Call Box - it looked like the car had swerved to avoid hitting two men wearing '60s-era slacks and turtlenecks, an attractive young woman wearing a casual outfit out of the early-1980s, a couple wearing outfits straight out of the Orlando Furioso... and two small ponies, one with gray body fur, a yellow mane, and wings, and the other with light-brown body fur, a dark-brown mane, and wearing a starched collar and a bow tie.

She'd dealt with situations like this before.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
what, no pair of teens in late 80s/early 90s clothing standing next to a phone booth? ;P
As yet, nobody wants to write stories about them... so, no.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Have another teaser - probably the last one:

Quote:"Khonsu! How's my favorite Egyptian god of travelers, healing, and the Moon doing?"

"You were right about particular words making a difference in spells. 'Escalated Lunar Healing' does work better than 'Accelerated Lunar Healing'."

"I keep telling you to try 'Moon Healing Escalation'."

"And risk a trademark infringement case? No, thank you."
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
No more teasers. This is a status report.

We have one key scene to write, which Bob and Labster are working on.

Then we have to proofread and copyedit the entire 200+KB introductory story, which Inquisitive Raven and I will do.

(Yes, the introductory story to the retcon is on par with a Drunkard's Walk chapter.)

Then I post it here... after a slight redesign of this forum

After that, we have a Halloween story to retcon... after Christmas. We also have a small stack of stories that only needed minor retcons; the current plan is to post them in something resembling reading order, and not all at once.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Unless any of the other writers find something drastically wrong with the story, this is the last status report.

Prereading has been progressing satisfactorily. Certain issues stretching back to the very beginning of this writing project (including a major omission on my own part) have finally been resolved. Style issues have been resolved. Spellings have been standardized.

I'm not saying you should keep this weekend open for a story that's approximately 225k long including wiki formatting... but that might possibly be a good idea, maybe.

And if not, well... next Saturday is still technically "before Christmas". Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(11-13-2022, 11:44 AM)Norgarth Wrote: what, no pair of teens in late 80s/early 90s clothing standing next to a phone booth? ;P
(11-13-2022, 02:46 PM)robkelk Wrote: As yet, nobody wants to write stories about them... so, no.

This has changed in the last couple weeks. Not so much that we wanted to write about the teens themselves, but one of their passengers has shown up in France...

.png   jeanne.png (Size: 244.77 KB / Downloads: 19)
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....