Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVII
(06-26-2023, 11:21 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: (Rob, I honestly can't see what qualifies Tristram Shandy as a cult classic.)

I'm not the one you asked, but if I had to guess what the pre-fork taggers were about when they bestowed that label, it was probably something similar to Paul Riddell's personal definition of a "cult classic" movie as (from memory here) "one seen fifty times by that many people."
Heh. I like that. I suppose that it qualifies under that metric. God knows I couldn't get through it in college.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Rob, your edits today have reminded me that I've been planning to do a page for "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown" for some years now. I should really get to work on that. Its playwright, Clark Gesner, was an acquaintance/friend of ours whom I met back when I was still in college, and I feel like I owe it to his memory to do a really good job.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Hey, if you want to do works pages for the other two works still listed at "Trope Namers/Theatre" as well, we can delete that subpage... Smile

Happy to be a memory jogger for you, Bob.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(06-30-2023, 12:58 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Rob, your edits today have reminded me that I've been planning to do a page for "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown" for some years now.  I should really get to work on that.  Its playwright, Clark Gesner, was an acquaintance/friend of ours whom I met back when I was still in college, and I feel like I owe it to his memory to do a really good job.

My dad might appreciate that; his time at Princeton overlapped with Gesner's (dad was '61, in case I haven't said or you'd had time to forget). Somewhere in the boxes that stayed packed through the family's move up from Mississippi, the move down one story in the apartment building here in Pennsylvania, and the move (a year and a half later, 19 years ago) to a townhouse around the corner, we have a vinyl copy of For Heaven's Sake (one of his Triangle shows, '58-'59 according to Wikipedia).
...I don't think you've ever mentioned your Princeton connections before, Mamorien, or if you did it was long enough ago that i did forget. Wow, a vinyl cast album? They'd given up doing that by the time i was in Triangle. I have cassette tapes of two of the three shows I worked on (Under the Influence, Spring 1983, and Number 96, Untitled, Spring 1984), but I haven't listened to them in years.

(And because this made me think of it, here's a link to the thread where I mentioned the production of Good Man done on the campus in Clark's honor after he passed away 20 years ago... and the silly fic idea it inspired.)
-- Bob

We don't appear to have a trope to cover Art Forgery. I'm hoping someone can refute that claim, but I've done a number of searches, and no page for it nor any pages linking to something appropriate for it come up. Have I not been searching on the right terms, or do we simply not cover it?
-- Bob

It looks like we don't cover forgery at all, except for "Counterfeit Cash".
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Welp. Something else to add to the big list of pages for me to write.
-- Bob

Re this thread, I picked that sample character to show off how to handle multiple works in the infobox. And we still need to do (or include) the CSS to hide the "v*d*e" line.

Since I don't know whether other people can look at the source for a Flow entry, here you go, Bob:

{{Infobox character
| title = Emily Pollifax
| image =
| caption =
| Central Archetype = Sweet old lady who happens to be a competent spy
| Source Fiction = [[Mrs. Pollifax (franchise)|''Mrs. Pollifax'']] novels by Dorothy Gilman
| First Appearance = ''[[The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax (novel)|The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax]]'' (1966)
| Actor = [[Rosalind Russell]] (''[[Mrs. Pollifax—Spy]]'', 1971), [[Angela Lansbury]] (''[[The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax (film)|The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax]]'', 1999)
| Gender = Female
| Hair Color = White
}}
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
The only reason I haven't done anything with this, despite unanimity, is because it hasn't been going for a full day yet. If another mod wants to make the page move before I'm awake tomorrow morning, be my guest.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(07-15-2023, 09:07 PM)robkelk Wrote: The only reason I haven't done anything with this, despite unanimity, is because it hasn't been going for a full day yet. If another mod wants to make the page move before I'm awake tomorrow morning, be my guest.

Never mind, I've renamed the page.

I just tossed this into the Trope Workshop in order to fill a hole in the wiki. We have 18 pre-fork pages already pointing to it. That's why a few of the examples already have "context" tags on them. On the other hand, if it launches as-is, it won't need to be entry-pimped.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
As I'm pretty sure Rob has already noticed, I created a franchise navbox for Ranma 1/2 and in the process I was surprised to see just how few standalone Ranma fics we have pages for, at least in the Ranma/Fan Works category. I'm going to have to do something about that sooner or later...
-- Bob

(07-18-2023, 01:05 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: As I'm pretty sure Rob has already noticed, I created a franchise navbox for Ranma 1/2

I was surprised to see the "edit conflict" screen pop when I was adding the Neon Genesis Evangelion navbox to fan works pages because you had added it to "Wild Horse's Thesis" between my starting to edit it and hitting the save button.

(07-18-2023, 01:05 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: and in the process I was surprised to see just how few standalone Ranma fics we have pages for, at least in the Ranma/Fan Works category.  I'm going to have to do something about that sooner or later...

I trust that means "write some works pages", not "write some Ranma fic". Smile There's plenty of Ranma fic out there.

Changing topics...

Quote:Undocumented Features is large enough to have created its own internal tropes:

* Married Mai Waifu For Real. A significant percentage of the Author Avatars end up married to or in permanent long-term relationships with various hot fictional babes. Just to name a few:
  • Gryphon and Kei (...and Skuld, and Sumire Kanzaki, and ...)
  • Megazone and Yuri
  • Rob Shannon and Ayeka
  • Redneck and Wasyuu
  • Hammer and Eiko
  • This is not just about getting the girl. These are full-fledged relationships; the characters have children, and have to balance work and their family life.

We could probably turn this into a "real" trope, if we can come up with some more examples. Anybody know of any other that UF and (broadening from "author avatar" to "isekai protagonist") this little story of mine?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
There's Hiver's "New Beginnings" series of MLP:FiM stories where the the SI (after awakening in Equestria as a Unicorn) eventually marries Princess Luna.
(07-18-2023, 11:54 PM)Norgarth Wrote: There's Hiver's "New Beginnings" series of MLP:FiM stories where the the SI (after awakening in Equestria as a Unicorn) eventually marries Princess Luna.

Thanks. That's definitely "Happily Ever After". Does the story continue and show us their life together?

EDIT: Oh, yes: extremely-rough first draft of the trope candidate.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I think we need to have a mod discussion.

We have a special snowflake who simply refuses to stop breaking ATT:1WAY, going so far as to claim in this post -- in the thread where he makes the insults -- that he never made the insults. And he goes on to make another insult of the same type in the same post.

It is my opinion that, as long as he is not willing to follow the "tolerant to others" part of ATT:1WAY, we should follow the advice of U Thant, "be tolerant of everything except intolerance", and require him to take his intolerance elsewhere.

We might also need to check his contributions as well, to check whether he's a single-issue poster and has added any actionable statements to the wiki pages.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Oh, that asshole. I thought he'd bailed on the wiki at the start of the year when we made it clear his behavior and entitled attitude weren't acceptable. So he's back after eight months?

He's made 65 edits since last November, all but three of them in the period from 22 Nov to 11 Dec, and those last three in the past day. About half of those initial 63 edits are his posts in that thread, another third or so are flagged as "minor", and there's only one page creation. By sheer byte count he's posted far more in the thread than he has in all his productive edits combined. I can't say we'd be seriously inconvenienced by losing him.

Boot him.
-- Bob

(07-19-2023, 07:25 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Oh, that asshole.  I thought he'd bailed on the wiki at the start of the year when we made it clear his behavior and entitled attitude weren't acceptable.  So he's back after eight months?

He's made 65 edits since last November, all but three of them in the period from 22 Nov to 11 Dec, and those last three in the past day.  About half of those initial 63 edits are his posts in that thread, another third or so are flagged as "minor", and there's only one page creation.  By sheer byte count he's posted far more in the thread than he has in all his productive edits combined.  I can't say we'd be seriously inconvenienced by losing him.

Boot him.

Concur. He wants to be an arrant pest, he should go elsewhere.
(07-19-2023, 06:18 AM)robkelk Wrote:
(07-18-2023, 11:54 PM)Norgarth Wrote: There's Hiver's "New Beginnings" series of MLP:FiM stories where the the SI (after awakening in Equestria as a Unicorn) eventually marries Princess Luna.

Thanks. That's definitely "Happily Ever After". Does the story continue and show us their life together?

there's a number of stories in the series, and yes, he (character's name is Blank Page) and Luna are still deeply in love, though their respective jobs as rulers cause a few 'alone time' issues.  He's now an Thestral/batpony based Alicorn after ganking Tirek and ruler of a growing Threstral based city in the jungle south of Equestia.  Luckily as they are both noctural and good at dream magic, they can at least meet up that way each day, and more rarely in person.

RE ganking Tirek/becoming an alicorn
(07-19-2023, 09:00 AM)GethN7 Wrote:
(07-19-2023, 07:25 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Oh, that asshole.  I thought he'd bailed on the wiki at the start of the year when we made it clear his behavior and entitled attitude weren't acceptable.  So he's back after eight months?

He's made 65 edits since last November, all but three of them in the period from 22 Nov to 11 Dec, and those last three in the past day.  About half of those initial 63 edits are his posts in that thread, another third or so are flagged as "minor", and there's only one page creation.  By sheer byte count he's posted far more in the thread than he has in all his productive edits combined.  I can't say we'd be seriously inconvenienced by losing him.

Boot him.

That's three votes between us here and there. Want to add your vote to the thread so it's visible as a reply to my motion to ban him?
-- Bob

(07-19-2023, 03:35 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote:
(07-19-2023, 09:00 AM)GethN7 Wrote:

Boot him.

That's three votes between us here and there.  Want to add your vote to the thread so it's visible as a reply to my motion to ban him?

Done.

https://allthetropes.org/w/index.php?tit...5dbplwg96m
Thank you. And with that, I've gone ahead and banned him. Three votes yes, the remaining admins are all on hiatus and unlikely to disagree anyway, so I didn't think we needed to wait any longer. I do hope he appreciates the image of the ban as a giant condom protecting him from the naughty people who won't hop to and obey him.
-- Bob

(07-19-2023, 09:18 AM)Norgarth Wrote:
(07-19-2023, 06:18 AM)robkelk Wrote:

there's a number of stories in the series, and yes, he (character's name is Blank Page) and Luna are still deeply in love, though their respective jobs as rulers cause a few 'alone time' issues.  He's now an Thestral/batpony based Alicorn after ganking Tirek and ruler of a growing Threstral based city in the jungle south of Equestia.  Luckily as they are both noctural and good at dream magic, they can at least meet up that way each day, and more rarely in person.

RE ganking Tirek/becoming an alicorn

Again, thanks. It's now on the list.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
And that's 300 messages. New thread is here.
-- Bob