Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVII
I'm surprised we didn't have this category already. we do now, but it could use some populating... mainly because I wasn't sure whether to include some earlier works.

Category:Matter of Britain - "Arthurian legends, the characters from those legends, and re-tellings thereof."
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
As requested by Bob: One category and an associated navbox.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Proposed, not requested per se, but thank you!
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
The wiki's in read-only mode again.

https://phabricator.miraheze.org/T10287
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It's back out and R/W now.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
Of course I notice that the moderation queue is overfull when I don't have time to do much about it. I've approved the purely mechanical category changes, but that still leaves a few dozen changes that somebody's going to have to double-check against TVTropes...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Sorry, been a busy weekend helping get my mother-in-law settled back in after coming home from the hospital. By the time I had time for the queue, I didn't have the mental energy for the task.
-- Bob

I threw together a new category over my lunch break: "Canadian Authors". (And a supercategory "Authors by country" to put it into, which I then moved "French authors" into.)

Then I compared Wikipedia's list of Canadian writers to our pages, and tagged the appropriate ATT creator pages. I think I have them all.

While doing that, I noticed Spider Robinson was on the list. How do I handle him? Why, by adding both applicable categories, of course.

So I threw together another new category over my lunch break: "American Authors". I only had time to add one other name to that category: Benjamin Franklin. Somebody who has time, please populate that category...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I hate to basically post the same thing every month or two, but other than Rob okaying the recent category changes, am I the only person who's going through the moderation queue? Family issues have kept me from dedicating any time to it for some two weeks now, and when I looked in on it this morning there were over fifty queued edits with the oldest ones dating back almost three weeks. Worse, there were edits from at least a half dozen brand new users stuck in there, and they were probably wondering why we were ignoring them.

I've reviewed about half the edits that were queued up as of this morning -- Puterboy1 is not impressing me today -- but that still leaves almost thirty. Probably more because I got at least one notice of new edits awaiting moderation.

It would really be nice if someone other than me (and Rob) actually did anything on the mod queue more often than every couple months. As my recent situation demonstrates, I cannot guarantee that I can be available to go through it every day. If no one else gives a damn, I'm going to move we abolish moderation and let the spam (and copyright violations, and drive-by posters...) fall where it may. That would be better than basically throwing new users' edits into the trash, as far as they're concerned.
-- Bob

(01-27-2023, 01:58 PM)m available and will be reviewing edits ASAP.Bob Schroeck Wrote: I hate to basically post the same thing every month or two, but other than Rob okaying the recent category changes, am I the only person who's going through the moderation queue?  Family issues have kept me from dedicating any time to it for some two weeks now, and when I looked in on it this morning there were over fifty queued edits with the oldest ones dating back almost three weeks.  Worse, there were edits from at least a half dozen brand new users stuck in there, and they were probably wondering why we were ignoring them.

I've reviewed about half the edits that were queued up as of this morning -- Puterboy1 is not impressing me today -- but that still leaves almost thirty.  Probably more because I got at least one notice of new edits awaiting moderation. 

It would really be nice if someone other than me (and Rob) actually did anything on the mod queue more often than every couple months.  As my recent situation demonstrates, I cannot guarantee that I can be available to go through it every day.  If no one else gives a damn, I'm going to move we abolish moderation and let the spam (and copyright violations, and drive-by posters...) fall where it may.  That would be better than basically throwing new users' edits into the trash, as far as they're concerned.

I apologize, I recently got freed up from personal obligations and will be reviewing the panel ASAP.
Okay, I need a second opinion on a possible case of copyright infringement from TropeyTheWonderDog, who's been dinged twice today for infringement as I go through the mod queue.

In this edit to "Selective Enforcement", he's submitted

Quote:[[Tom and Jerry|''Tom and Jerry'']]: This trope is used as a recurring theme in the shorts that feature Spike. When said shorts open, Spike is generally just doing his own job, minding his own business, until he gets caught up within the titular duo, Tom and Jerry's antics. Even if Spike ''clearly'' sees Jerry causing trouble as well, he will always single Tom out from the duo and places the blame for him, in which Jerry proceeds to [[Exploited Trope|milk for all its worth]] throughout the rest of the short.

The original on TVT reads

Quote:This trope is a recurring theme in Tom and Jerry shorts that feature Spike. When said shorts open, Spike is generally doing his own thing, minding his own business, and gets caught up in Tom and Jerry's antics. Even when Spike clearly sees Jerry causing trouble as well, he always singles out Tom and places all the blame on him, which Jerry proceeds to milk for all its worth throughout the rest of the cartoon.

He's tried to change up things a bit but is it enough? I know the way I'm leaning, but I want to hear other opinions before I do anything.

Thanks.
-- Bob

(01-30-2023, 03:33 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Okay, I need a second opinion on a possible case of copyright infringement from TropeyTheWonderDog, who's been dinged twice today for infringement as I go through the mod queue.

Quote:[[Tom and Jerry|''Tom and Jerry'']]: This trope is used as a recurring theme in the shorts that feature Spike. When said shorts open, Spike is generally just doing his own job, minding his own business, until he gets caught up within the titular duo, Tom and Jerry's antics. Even if Spike ''clearly'' sees Jerry causing trouble as well, he will always single Tom out from the duo and places the blame for him, in which Jerry proceeds to [[Exploited Trope|milk for all its worth]] throughout the rest of the short.

Quote:This trope is a recurring theme in Tom and Jerry shorts that feature Spike. When said shorts open, Spike is generally doing his own thing, minding his own business, and gets caught up in Tom and Jerry's antics. Even when Spike clearly sees Jerry causing trouble as well, he always singles out Tom and places all the blame on him, which Jerry proceeds to milk for all its worth throughout the rest of the cartoon.

He's tried to change up things a bit but is it enough?  I know the way I'm leaning, but I want to hear other opinions before I do anything.

Thanks.

I'm leaning no. They should do so "clean room" style to avoid any copyright concerns (i.e. - without using the TVT version for reference at all)
(01-30-2023, 05:38 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(01-30-2023, 03:33 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Okay, I need a second opinion on a possible case of copyright infringement from TropeyTheWonderDog, who's been dinged twice today for infringement as I go through the mod queue.

He's tried to change up things a bit but is it enough?  I know the way I'm leaning, but I want to hear other opinions before I do anything.

Thanks.

I'm leaning no. They should do so "clean room" style to avoid any copyright concerns (i.e. - without using the TVT version for reference at all)

Agreed - that's way too close to what's written where he copied from.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Okay, counting my own leanings, that's three votes as infringement. If one of you gentlemen haven't already dealt with it, I'll handle it when I get to the wiki later today.
-- Bob

Oh, in case no one else has noticed, our good friend HornyLikeIAmA14YearOldGirl has had his handle changed to the easier-to-remember and -pronounce "HLIAA14YOG".
-- Bob

(01-31-2023, 03:21 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Oh, in case no one else has noticed, our good friend HornyLikeIAmA14YearOldGirl has had his handle changed to the easier-to-remember and -pronounce "HLIAA14YOG".

"YOG"?

H'liaa! Yog fhtagn!

So, how's that so difficult to pronounce? Smile
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Just some info on some outreach I've done for another Miraheze wiki

https://reflectionverse.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

This is for a Persona 5 fanfic that needed a wiki set up to collate information on what is basically a series of stories that form their own canon. I've imported some templates from All The Tropes and some other things to help them get it set up and offered them use of our content provided they attribute it properly. They have TV Tropes page for said story, but I've also freely encouraged them to make their own with us, since unlike TV Tropes, we can freely share content due to using the CC BY SA license.
....and the wiki's borked, since about ten minutes ago. Everything's 504s and 503s.

EDIT: Correction: Not everything, just Recent Changes.
-- Bob

Well. ShawnTehLogoBoi has had a mad on over the Nickelodeon TV Move Fun Size since practically his first edit, to the point (as I'm sure Rob will recall) of trying to delete the work page we created to provide a parent to an orphan subpage he himself made. One would think that in almost a year and a half he would cool off about it, but no.
-- Bob

(02-07-2023, 08:25 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Well.  ShawnTehLogoBoi has had a mad on over the Nickelodeon TV Move Fun Size since practically his first edit, to the point (as I'm sure Rob will recall) of trying to delete the work page we created to provide a parent to an orphan subpage he himself made.  One would think that in almost a year and a half he would cool off about it, but no.

If he keeps losing his spaghetti, I recommend a temp ban for him to go smell some roses and chill out for awhile, we are not here to babysit.
He's not actually done anything (recently) meriting a temp ban, although he got two early on, again over Fun Size. It's just kind of pathetic, you know? That kind of outrage and fury over a no-budget movie virtually no one else in the world even remembers -- it reminds me of the old quote about hating a work that much being like putting on a full suit of armor to do battle with an ice cream sundae.
-- Bob

Just spent a couple of hours cleaning up a few pages on Category:Examples Need Sorting.

And I'm going to have to ignore the wiki for a few days due to other things (including family and work) wanting my time.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
<sigh> And the wiki database went locked-and-read-only without warning at some point between 9:10 and 9:15 EST this morning. As I write this it has yet to come back out.

EDIT: I've submitted a Phabricator ticket for this.
-- Bob

For folks who haven't seen it yet, there is a a new RFC on proposed changes/updates to Miraheze rules on wiki governance and such.
-- Bob

Does this edit make its page biased?

EDIT: And this edit, which does not match its edit summary.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown