Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVII
RE: All The Tropes Wiki Project, Part XXVII
Do we need any of these pages any more? They appear to be documentation for a tool that we don't have installed.
--
Rob Kelk

Sticks and stones can break your bones,
But words can break your heart.
- unknown
(03-10-2023, 03:08 PM)robkelk Wrote: Do we need any of these pages any more? They appear to be documentation for a tool that we don't have installed.

It was likely imported along with some templates we imported awhile back. If it's not relevant to us in any way it should be safe to remove. We only probably got it because some of the template data showed up on those pages and dragged them along from the import ride.
Just put together another Creator page. Since she's the (probable) Trope Maker for "Sesame Street Cred", I suspect people outside of Canada have heard of her... and the description could use a bit of sprucing up.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Been looking at the Moderation queue as time permits. I think Horny... sorry, HLIAA14YOG... has been in the wilderness for long enough. Should we give him back his Autopatrolled bit?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(03-13-2023, 12:17 PM)robkelk Wrote: Been looking at the Moderation queue as time permits. I think Horny... sorry, HLIAA14YOG... has been in the wilderness for long enough. Should we give him back his Autopatrolled but?

He's stayed out of trouble for awhile, why not?
Yeah. Just before the last time we were about to do it he backslid, but he's been good since then. Give it back.
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
A new work page I just approved off the mod list had a new category on it that I want to discuss: "Incomplete Fan Works". I am inclined to remove it because "incomplete" is kind of the default state for fan works, and those which are permanently so we already categorize under "Defunct Fan Works". However, is there any reason I shouldn't remove it?
-- Bob

I have been Roland, Beowulf, Achilles, Gilgamesh, Clark Kent, Mary Sue, DJ Croft, Skysaber.  I have been 
called a hundred names and will be called a thousand more before the sun grows dim and cold....
(03-13-2023, 01:18 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: A new work page I just approved off the mod list had a new category on it that I want to discuss:  "Incomplete Fan Works".  I am inclined to remove it because "incomplete" is kind of the default state for fan works, and those which are permanently so we already categorize under "Defunct Fan Works".  However, is there any reason I shouldn't remove it?

No reason that comes to mind.
(03-13-2023, 12:21 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(03-13-2023, 12:17 PM)robkelk Wrote: Been looking at the Moderation queue as time permits. I think Horny... sorry, HLIAA14YOG... has been in the wilderness for long enough. Should we give him back his Autopatrolled bit?

He's stayed out of trouble for awhile, why not?

(03-13-2023, 12:48 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Yeah. Just before the last time we were about to do it he backslid, but he's been good since then. Give it back.

Done!

(03-13-2023, 01:20 PM)GethN7 Wrote:
(03-13-2023, 01:18 PM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: A new work page I just approved off the mod list had a new category on it that I want to discuss:  "Incomplete Fan Works".  I am inclined to remove it because "incomplete" is kind of the default state for fan works, and those which are permanently so we already categorize under "Defunct Fan Works".  However, is there any reason I shouldn't remove it?

No reason comes to my mind either. We have categories for completed and defunct fan works; I'd assume anything that doesn't have one of those is still in progress.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(03-13-2023, 06:05 PM)robkelk Wrote:
(03-13-2023, 01:20 PM)GethN7 Wrote:

No reason comes to my mind either. We have categories for completed and defunct fan works; I'd assume anything that doesn't have one of those is still in progress.

Done!
-- Bob

Okay, a new annoying behavior. Twice in the last 24 hours, I've clicked a link on a page -- one "Edit Source" and one "Next edit" -- only to get a "Wiki not found" page exhorting me to make sure I was spelling the wiki name correctly. Refreshing a couple seconds later cleared it up... but it's a little worrying. Anyone else seeing this?
-- Bob

Not lately, but it has happened to me in the past.

Momentary glitch, and yes, it's annoying.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
"I don't know what the rules on copying from TVT are, but since I wrote 95% of the Legend of Mana article over there, I say they're my edits" So says the edit reason for this edit waiting in Moderation.

I'm hesitant to approve because the user says "95%", not "100%". The edit also takes crosslinks out of the page quote for some reason.

I'm not going to touch this one. Whatever you folks decide, I'll go along with.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Well, I made a dent in the moderation list. Approved a few, rejected one for the usual reason, cleaned up after the visual editor...
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm looking for a trope. Officer and a Gentleman would be perfect in describing the character's personality and combat ability, but there's the minor matter of the character being a civilian. Should I just use Officer and a Gentleman anyway, or is there a civilian equivalent?
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
Sorry for the delay in answering, Rob. I don't think there is one, although if we did it might be called "Gentleman and a Scholar" -- which strikes me as a suitable pothole you might use.

On another topic, dd any of you approve an edit to "Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid" by ThunderKat in the last couple days? They (She?) don't have automod set on their account, but I can't find an entry in the moderation log for it. (Or does autopatrolled, which they do have, implicitly include it, which would explain the lack of entry?) I ask, because the edit in question included a link to TVT for a trope we don't have.
-- Bob

Autopatrolled includes the skip-moderation right.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
It's time we stop pretending that we can clear the moderation queue in a day. I've changed the sitenotice.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(03-21-2023, 08:01 AM)robkelk Wrote: Autopatrolled includes the skip-moderation right.

I thought I kinda-sorta remembered that, but it's been so long that I wasn't sure. Thanks.
-- Bob

Okay, heads up for everyone, although you should be CC'ed in on this by wiki mechanisms automatically: I've just given DavidTheGnome his second mod queue rejection for copyright infringement. Rather than impose an immediate tempban I've given him a warning with a request for acknowledgment. I'm going to be keeping my eye on him, of course, but if anyone else spots him editing without replying to that warning, please drop a two-week tempban on his head. (And if his edits include more copyright problems, make it longer by however much you care to.)
-- Bob

(03-17-2023, 11:11 AM)robkelk Wrote: "I don't know what the rules on copying from TVT are, but since I wrote 95% of the Legend of Mana article over there, I say they're my edits" So says the edit reason for this edit waiting in Moderation.

I'm hesitant to approve because the user says "95%", not "100%". The edit also takes crosslinks out of the page quote for some reason.

I'm not going to touch this one. Whatever you folks decide, I'll go along with.

I've taken a shot at replying to this. If you guys want to endorse or amend what I wrote in any way, feel free.
-- Bob

On a happier note, Coffee Lover completely understood that even an inadvertent case of copying TVT was a bad thing.

Here's hoping that (s)he can keep up the same level of quality, and continue to work with us when we mention things.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(03-17-2023, 05:04 PM)robkelk Wrote: I'm looking for a trope. Officer and a Gentleman would be perfect in describing the character's personality and combat ability, but there's the minor matter of the character being a civilian. Should I just use Officer and a Gentleman anyway, or is there a civilian equivalent?

(03-21-2023, 07:38 AM)Bob Schroeck Wrote: Sorry for the delay in answering, Rob. I don't think there is one, although if we did it might be called "Gentleman and a Scholar" -- which strikes me as a suitable pothole you might use.

We actually have Gentleman and a Scholar, which isn't what I wanted, either. Doing some wiki-walking, I finally found Cultured Badass, which I suspect is as close as I'm going to get.
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
I'm thinking of putting together an infobox for actors. This would be the first creator infobox we would have.

If I do this, what should be in it, besides name, photo, photo caption, date of birth, date of death, and Bacon number? (That last field to show that, no, we aren't all stodgy like Wikipedia.)
--
Rob Kelk

- unknown
(03-24-2023, 03:03 PM)robkelk Wrote: I'm thinking of putting together an infobox for actors. This would be the first creator infobox we would have.

If I do this, what should be in it, besides name, photo, photo caption, date of birth, date of death, and Bacon number? (That last field to show that, no, we aren't all stodgy like Wikipedia.)

Aliases (works for which they were credited under different and/or legally changed names)