Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fanfic Recommendations: The Next Generation
RE: Fanfic Recommendations: The Next Generation
JoJo: Emerald Morioh (JJBA: Diamond is {not Crash;Unbreakable} AU).

saturnalius Wrote:There's a lot about Morioh that intrigues Stand researcher Noriaki Kakyoin, and the mess Akira Otoishi created when he took a joy ride with the Bow and Arrow draws him into the fray to pursue potentially dangerous Stand Users. Perhaps it was an excuse to see his best friend again, perhaps it was because Kakyoin really only felt normal around other Stand Users even after the past 10 years had turned him somewhat cold towards everyone except the remaining Stardust Crusaders.

Perhaps Morioh could break that coldness and reveal some of the secrets of Stands as they counter the new Arrow Users. Or it might just reveal something dark hiding beneath the surface of a peaceful coastal town.

This story runs parallel to Part 4. It weaves in and out of the main storyline, posing a parallel one as Kakyoin deals with Stands and his own past scars. Let's hope he makes some friends along the way.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/45403411
For a moment I wondered what Life FIbers had to do with JoJos, then I realized the name there was Kiryuin, not Kakyoin.

Hm, Should Be or Should Not Be?
--
‎noli esse culus
Nearing its end (since I started reading it, it's gone from 68 to 69 of a planned 71 chapters) is Exodus, a Big Hero 6 AU crossover that has, viewed from my position about halfway through, the potential to get darker than any of Yokai's plans.

Ld1449 Wrote:When Hiro rushes into Nulspace to rescue Callaghan's daughter he finds someone else.

Her name, is Taylor.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/42137790
Been reading these awhile.

1. Dragonball: Superman: https://archiveofourown.org/series/2722615

Quote:A setting fusion of Dragon Ball and the DC universe. A world where there are Saiyans and Dragon Balls, but also Superman and Wonder Woman. A world where Bulma comes from Metropolis and Clark Kent was born with a tail.

2. Hermione’s New Job: https://archiveofourown.org/series/3356593
Quote:Hal Jordan, the Green Lantern of Sector 2814, is looking for a replacement. Hermione Granger, Brightest Witch of Her Age, is going nowhere as a Ministry employee and is desperate to find something more meaningful for her life. A chance encounter and months of training later, she’s earned her ring and becomes the newest member of the Justice League. And that’s just the beginning of where her new job takes her.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
A Summer Job (Gravity Falls/DC)
Wendy Corduroy thought she would have a normal summer (well, as normal a summer for Gravity Falls could be), but nothing could prepare her for when she met Rose.
Rose Worth thought she would have a new start in this small town, finally free from her father. But she found so much more when she met Wendy.
Maria vs the Jedi Cult

Reborn just in time to join the rest of the younglings in asking Master Skywalker what they were going to do because there were too many of them.
Oh well, she had future knowledge, a tendency to be overlooked and forgotten about by the Creche Master, and the reckless abandonment of someone who knows when they die.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
Anakin: The answer is genocide, an old favourite game of mine!
Clicking on the "crack treated seriously" tag for Hermione's New Job last night, I discovered the spiritual successor to Who Framed Roger Rabbit, if not the UF of animation fanfic.

anonimaus_III Wrote:From public radio station KTUN-FM 109.0, it’s Your Radio Toontown.

A collection of stories and radio interviews focusing on toons and their lives on and off set.

(AKA an excuse to include any and every fandom imaginable)

https://archiveofourown.org/series/2942838

There are two individual Your Radio Toontown stories so far, one complete and the other getting there, with the promise of other plots to come.

Two Kindred Weirdos Wrote:"Looking at the room next to ours, my eyes meet another girl’s. Her skin’s also tanned, has brown hair, and seems to be around my age. In terms of differences, we wore different outfits, our hairstyle was different, so was our ethnicity, and in general our art styles differed. We stare at each other for what seems like forever, and wave timidly, smiling but unsure whether to interact properly or not. Unfortunately, I hear my name being called, so I take my leave. Maybe we’ll get to know each other soon."

Welcome to our very first broadcast! In today's story that serves an introduction to the wonderful world of animation and Toontown, we follow the story of sister shows, Amphibia and The Owl House, how they began, their time filming and on the air, as well as the issues on and off set they faced, and how the stars of the show have created a bond that will last forever.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/39443244

And then the one I actually discovered first, which is appropriate in light of its structure.

Wearily We Roll Along Wrote:“Sometimes I look back on how we got here. It almost makes me wish we were locked back in the water tower, almost. My sibs and I have existed for nearly a century, and just when things started coming up good for toons, the rug was pulled right under us. Now we could just start at the beginning, but where’s the fun in that when we can start at the end and work our way back?”

On today's episode of Your Radio Toontown, we take a look at the troubled history of Warner Bros. Animation, told by the toons who were there since the very beginning, and how it all came crashing down in August of this year in the Great HBO Max Purge, as well as a brief history of our town. All of which is told chronologically backwards.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/41448828

Spelling and grammar get a little idiosyncratic, but it grabbed me by the feels (I got to bed an hour later than I would've done if I hadn't spotted it), and anonimaus has clearly put at least as much effort into worldbuilding as Jo Rowling. This is someone who's having infectious levels of fun, and I do not, for one, feel a need to be cured.

ADDENDUM: anonimaus wears eir politics on eir sleeve. I happen to share a large portion of those politics, but ey do get onto the fine line between informative and preachy. Also, ey're taking a lot of queer subtext and elevating it to text. On the flip side, ey don't shy from confronting what the Disney+ summaries call "outdated cultural depictions", and that requires, well, depicting them. Take under advisement whichever of those you feel applies to you.
Oh dammit, wrong thread.
--
‎noli esse culus
I'll be a little surprised if this hasn't actually been recommended yet, but a quick search didn't have it turn up so here we go:

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...te.680881/

Trailblazer is a Worm story, with Taylor being a Tinker instead of a Master, who get's access to Gundam tech. While Taylor uses mostly 00 tech, other technology and even characters show up. Also, the world is an AU. Still has the Endbringers running around and the Empire and Lung and such... but Scion is dead. And that has all kinds of consequences, both in the back story and the future.

And of course the biggest plus is that it's already finished. It's probably my favourite worm story, with an excellent character arc for Taylor and several others.
Silence is Not Consent

"In the stories, the girl gets saved from the evil villain by the hero, and they lived happily ever after. So why is it a villain had to rescue me from real evil? From my sister?"

Victoria wakes up in the aftermath of the Slaughterhouse Nine to Skitter standing over her, with some choices to make.

C/W: This story heavily features familial rape and the associated recovery. Please read with caution.

So far, very well written Worm story of Victoria dealing with the trauma and recovery.   

RMH
(06-14-2023, 11:45 AM)RMH999 Wrote: Silence is Not Consent

"In the stories, the girl gets saved from the evil villain by the hero, and they lived happily ever after. So why is it a villain had to rescue me from real evil? From my sister?"

Victoria wakes up in the aftermath of the Slaughterhouse Nine to Skitter standing over her, with some choices to make.

C/W: This story heavily features familial rape and the associated recovery. Please read with caution.

So far, very well written Worm story of Victoria dealing with the trauma and recovery.   

RMH

Can confirm. Am confirming now because just finished Confrontation 2.D, and wanted to say that can also confirm:

JustAnotherCat Wrote:Dragon continues to be the best person in this story or all of canon, and people can die mad about it.
"Knives and Spices", by Argentee.

Quote:A Cajun chef and a cargo hold of other humans are captured by Aliens. Zygerrian slavers.

Turns out that Star Wars is real, George Lucas had visions, and it's the middle of the Clone Wars.

Of course, the vision scrambled the order of things, people look nothing like the actors cast for them, and humans do not domesticate well.

Still, how much trouble can a few humans cause?

All of it. All the trouble.

And the trouble is so much worth it.

Especially when
Sucrose Octanitrate.

It's just starting, so we'll have to see how it goes, but the new book by the author of "Mother of Learning" has posted its first few chapters.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/71045/...of-sorcery
NuBSG/Star Trek: Rescue Mission

The Twelve Colonies have been shattered. They could use every ship in Starfleet. Unfortunately, the people who found them have three corvettes and a transport.
On the other hand, they're Federation ships.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...t-93816703
Sublight Drive (Star Wars)

Star Wars SI
Quote: So, I'm in the Prequels... shouldn't be a problem, I watched all nine movies at least once. Alright, the war is about the start, so I reckon the military should have a stable career for me. The only problem, I found out too late, is that it appears my homeworld is on the losing side.
“We can never undo what we have done. We can never go back in time. We write history with our decisions and our actions. But we also write history with our responses to those actions. We can leave the pain and the damage in our wake, unattended, or we can do the work of acknowledging and fixing, to whatever extent possible, the harm that we have caused.”

— On Repentance and Repair: Making Amends in an Unapologetic World by Danya Ruttenberg
The creator of Maverick Solutions has another fic going.

To Fuel the Guttering Flame(Transformers SI)

Or alternatively “Daily Life On The Capital World of a Dying Alien Empire”.

Our World is in danger! Cybertron has been cut off from his colonies for millions of years after the disastrous Great Lithonic War, and the deadly Rust Plague. The harsh Nominus Edict enforces a strict caste system “For the good of all Cybertron”, while the decadent Senate acts as if nothing is wrong. Tensions are high, and it seems inevitable that a tipping point will be reached… especially for one former human, now reborn onto this alien world, trying as best she can to save her newfound home even as the specter of the Great War looms on the horizon.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...t-93930418
This could've gone in the Completed Fanfic Recommendations thread; I put it here because it's a one-shot anyway. There are two things about Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em, apart from its writing, that make it stick with me. One is that its author, like me and noca, is one of the Milliways folken. The other is that it's been, for the nearly eight years since it was written, literally the only Magical Witch Punie-chan fanfic on AO3.

Gramarye Wrote:Anego cuts class for a quiet smoke, and runs into Punie's creepy little mascot. At least he's got a match or two to share...and a useful perspective on life with a murderous magical princess.

All I know about the series is what I've picked up from viewing the "marching veggies" clip, reading its Wikipedia page, and having Punie and Paya-tan (the latter being the aforementioned mascot) inna bar, but that's enough for me to like it, and I hope y'all will too.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/4754720
Another item that's the only fic for its canon on AO3, but given that the canon is Catherynne M. Valente's Hugo-nominated novelette "The Difference Between Love and Time" (the heartwarming, heart-rending story of one woman's on-again, off-again relationship with the space/time continuum), that can change. In the meantime, one brave author, as part of a series of reactions to this year's Hugo finalists (which will be announced next month in Chengdu), has written something shorter than I just let this recommendation get, based on a throwaway line or maybe two.

Cat Valente, who on some level will always be McGaijin to me, Wrote:I don’t know why the space/time continuum stopped loving me. (...) Maybe I took too long to lose the baby weight.

Azashenya Wrote:...which lead (sic) to me thinking about what it would be like to be a child of that relationship.

And then led to the writing of Living With Their Legacy.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/48519622
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/...b.1081935/

The Weaver's Web.

A Worm fanfic

Before going out in costume for the first time, Taylor looks around the basement at some of her mom's old stuff, which include some pulp novels.

Specifically The Shadow.

Inspired she goes out to fight differently. Using Investigation, Confusion, Misdirection and Striking Terror into the hearts of her enemies.

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
Not too long ago, someone here (I'm pretty suire it was here) mentioned the Raildex SI A Certain Mental Issekai (SB threadmarks link) and I started reading it, though I haven't gotten too far due oto other distractions. Well, apparently Alivaril took an interest in it recently also, as she's started a new fork of Sanctioned set there. (SV threadmarks link)

It's typical Alivaril fare: high technical quality, a surface of humor and slice of life fueled byu various miscommunication and blue/orange morality on the part of the QA-insert's nature as a (tramatized) alien supercomputer trying badly to cosplay as human and maintain secrecy about several assumed things that are mostly entirely absent from the setting and irrelevant, lots of adorable woobie-destroyer-of-worlds hijinx, so if you've read any previous Sanctioned material you know roughly what to expect. One of the thread commenters did add that they liked this one where the last two or three forks had not appealed, so even if you didn't like other iterations it may be worth at least a few chapters worth of a look. THere's only five at the moment, but it's only been posted in its own thread for a week, so even if that's only two new ones still not a bad rate of updates.
--
‎noli esse culus
It's superhero (and super-hero) time! First, what seems to be AO3's sole instance of a crossover that I for one consider really ought to be more widespread, given how closely their origins are linked.

Summershizzle Wrote:The turtles track down a lone vigilante with a unique fighting style. From misconceptions to a possible partnership, the turtles and Daredevil attempt to take down some bad guys.

That's right, the children of the ooze meet at last in Without Fear: https://archiveofourown.org/works/23522905

Then, Parahumans meets a TRPG from which I occasionally suspect Wildbow of having drawn inspiration (heh), with the incursion coming early enough to knock established Paths to Victory into the proverbial cocked hat.

Avrjoe Wrote:A small group of refugees from the Trinity Continuum escape the end of the Nova Age and Abberant (sic) War into Earth Bet. Now they seek to save there (sicer) new world while investigating the strange mysteries that plague it.

Danger Zone Brockton is a somewhat more guarded recommendation, due to the author's somewhat idiosyncratic grammar and tendency to rock an oversize exposition hat. The same for his Shard of Darkness series, which starts in 2008 when

The Old World Gives Way Wrote:Seemingly random people in the World of Darkness start gaining the power of the Dragon-Blooded from Exalted. Conflict and Diplomacy both ensue.

Four years later, Celestial Exaltations are coming back to Creation Earth as well, just in time for a Christmas Calibration (currently at 17 chapters out of 22).
"This One Time At Cultivation Camp" popped back up on my radar today when an update was posted after several months' hiatus.
https://archiveofourown.org/works/372933...s/93053299 (Worm, Original Xianxia universe)

It's a fun little thing, it takes Summer Camp Counselor Victoria Dallon and Summer Camp Counselee Taylor Hebert - pre-canon, neither of them has Triggered yet, Emma is just meeting Sophia back in Brockton Bay - find themselves shanghaied by a Negative Plot Wedgie off to Xianxia-land, where they have to work together and learn the local skills to survive and find a way home.
Sucrose Octanitrate.

My exposure to Steven Universe (and Steven Q. Universe himself) consists of YouTube clips and sheer Internet osmosis. In the case of She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, only the latter obtains, along with vague memories of having maybe watched an episode or two of the original She-Ra: Princess of Power in my younger and more vulnerable years. In spite of this, I can follow The Elsewhere Saga and She-Ra and Steven Universe: Heroes United well enough to recommend them both.

The InkredibleKaptainKaiju Wrote:Have you ever wondered what happened on Homeworld after the war for Earth? How about how normal humans deal with the aftermath of the Gem invasion? Where did the Gems come from, anyway? Here you will find possible answers to all those questions, and many more. Prepare to dive deep into: the Elsewhere Saga.

Ten complete stories and counting, mostly focused on original characters, human, Gem and other, the earliest taking place centuries before the Crystal Rebellion, the late-most sometime after SU Future. https://archiveofourown.org/series/1425562

and also Wrote:Being the Chosen One can be taxing, especially if you had no say in the matter. Neither Steven or Adora chose to be chosen, and often worry if they can handle the forces of evil that threaten their worlds. But when two not-so-distant worlds collide, they will have to decide if they will follow their destiny, or forge their own path. One thing's for sure: once they unite, these heroes will always save the day, and turn darkness to light!

It all started when Lars Barriga and his motley crew of off-color Gems were captured by the Horde, and it only shows signs of slowing down because its author is subject to human limitations and has knocked canon into a cocked hat. https://archiveofourown.org/series/1440292
I've so far only found one crossover between Atsushi Ohkubo's Soul Eater and the follow-up series Fire Force. Eighty years after the end of the former, and at least another thousand after the end of the latter, it's time for something Antediluvian to return.

Femdjinn Wrote:Everything becomes what it is meant to be; dust. Such a beautiful and horrid concept. This is the story of old death and new life.

or

Learning how to be again. A matured remake of my old work, “Old Wives' Tales” on FF.net, and an experiment to improve my writing.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/44961415