Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looney Tunes v. The White Council
Looney Tunes v. The White Council
I just got on a Dresden Files kick and read all 8 books (I'm looking forward to getting book 9 in something other than hardcover) and I have to wonder.... How would Doug fare in Dresden's Chicago? (and how would Doug's helmet survive Harry?)
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Re: Looney Tunes v. The White Council
Having absolutely no experience with The Dresden Files, I cannot answer -- I must leave it up to someone familiar with both it and my work to propose a possible response.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
the basic premise is that magic and the things that go bump in the night all exist... but people for the most part ignore their encounters with it (like on B:tVS the tv show) ... the funky thing with magic, though, is that is has a negative effect on technology.... the more advanced the tech, the faster it will release the black smoke in the presence of magic... the protagonist drives a VW Beetle (the old one) because nothing newer will last very long without a constant effort on his part... and since he's constantly being attacked by assorted nasties, that's not really practical. And even the Beetle breaks down often enough to put the mechanic's kids through college.
The author, Jim Butcher, did a vignette to promote the series... that shold give you some flavour.
----
----
Interesting vignette, but it doesn't drive me to check it out. Sorry. Maybe I'll watch an episode of the TV show, but we all know just how well TV shows carry over the flavor and details of their inspirations...

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Loon vs White Council
I find an interesting scenario there. Doug will have to learn how to perform magic versus tech hexing his helmet,"Evil tends to triumph over good...unless good is very, very sneaky."-Anonymous-
Re: Loon vs White Council
[tv version] not very well... they seem to have changed Bob from a spirit of intellect with a sex obsession to a dead evil sorcerer who's been bound to the skull for no apparent reason.. that's the point at which I gave up on the show. still, I find the books entertaining, and the world hangs together better than harry potter...
[the helmet] Doug's commented several times that it's hardened against magic and everything else, so I'd expect his helmet to be fine, even if Dresden wears it while calling down the wrath of the gods... the soon-to-be-rebuilt bike, on the other hand, is unlikely to be that souped up, and it is a huge pile of high technology.....-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
----
Quote:
the soon-to-be-rebuilt bike, on the other hand, is unlikely to be that souped up, and it is a huge pile of high technology.....
A huge pile of high technology built by a Goddess of Technology - she's doing at least half the work, remember? I'm not betting on it being any less fragile than Doug's helmet.

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Okay, followup time. We rented the Dresden Files DVDs, and, long story short, we now have all the books in a big stack, and Peggy is devouring them faster than I am.
Ideas are popping for me thanks to the TV series and those of the books I've gotten through so far.
No promises, but things are percolating. It's not going to be a universe that's friendly to him -- he probably counts as an Outsider from beyond the Gates by their reckoning. And his reaction to the Seven Laws of Magic ("Well, what the hell's left after that? I mean, jeeze.") won't endear him, either.
I also see him waltzing in and blowing Murphy's world completely out of the water.

-- Bob
---------
I intend to be a freak for the rest of my life, and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from Now We Are Six through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So theeeeeere....
At which point Harry comments: "Suddenly, I don't seem so bad, eh Murph?"__________________
This has been another, Useless Fact.
Pretty much, yeah.

-- Bob
---------
I intend to be a freak for the rest of my life, and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from Now We Are Six through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So theeeeeere....
Oh and...
Quote:
"Jeeze, Harry, it's not your magic that's screwing up your life. I mean, you hang with someone named Murphy, and she's a representative of the Law! Apply some basic Symbology here!"

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
"Jeeze, Harry, it's not your magic that's screwing up your life. I mean, you hang with someone named Murphy, and she's a representative of the Law! Apply some basic Symbology here!"
Harry: "Yeah, but she slaps me every time I mention that."__________________
This has been another, Useless Fact.