Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some non-Anime worlds
Re: What about....
RE Doug in Stargate: Another possible location for Doug's arrival could be through the quantum mirror that they've used a couple times for dimensional travel (possible durring one of the occasions when it's been in the base)
Although, considering that Doug would be on his bike and unconcious, coming through either the mirror or in front of the gate would likely involve a sudden stop soon afterwards. (ouch)
I had an odd thought occur to me today. I know Doug will be in the Buffyverse for season 5, but part of me wondered would happen if Doug was present for the events of the 'musical episode'. People randomly bursting into song around him. 8P __________________
666-HELL The phone number of the Beast
Quote:
Apparently coming through the Stargate, of course. This sets off any number of alarms, and even more investigations...
Of course. Although, isn't there something called the quantum mirror which explicitly accesses other universes? (scrolls down) Oh, I see Timote's already mentioned it. Never mind.
Quote:
I recall a post by Bob, before the "big ezBoard post deletion whoops", about that one - Doug told Rose that The Doctor travels back and forth in time, while Doug travels sideways.
Right. By purest coincidence, I just happened to be looking at that line about 20 minutes ago...-- Bob
---------
One of the primary differences between the Left and the Right is their attitude toward the Future. The Radical wants the Future to have gotten here yesterday. The Reactionary wants the Future quietly shot and the corpse buried where no one can find it.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Quote:
I had an odd thought occur to me today. I know Doug will be in the Buffyverse for season 5, but part of me wondered would happen if Doug was present for the events of the 'musical episode'. People randomly bursting into song around him. 8P
You thought the events of that episode was dangerous for people already? You ain't seen nothin' yet! No, for numerous reasons -- not the least of which is that Rob's "Galactic Girls" story indirectly depends on it -- Doug is there for season five and season five only.-- Bob
---------
One of the primary differences between the Left and the Right is their attitude toward the Future. The Radical wants the Future to have gotten here yesterday. The Reactionary wants the Future quietly shot and the corpse buried where no one can find it.
-- Bob
---------
yeah, I knew Doug wouldn't be there (it was a season 6 ep as I recall), I was just trying to imagine the (additional) chaos his presence would create.
hmm, that leads to a question, what happens if Doug happens to be caught between 2 separate music sources playing power songs at the same time? (dueling stereos so to speak)__________________
666-HELL The phone number of the Beast
That one's in the FAQ: "(Similarly, two or more different pieces of music, be they songs or no, played at the same time "interfere" and "neutralize" the song power.)"

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Quote:
That one's in the FAQ: "(Similarly, two or more different pieces of music, be they songs or no, played at the same time "interfere" and "neutralize" the song power.)"
this raises an interesting question: can someone turn Doug's song-effect off mid-song by playing an interfering piece? i.e. he's doing his thing with Lightning Hand and someone blasts some Billy Idol at him, does the effect end and he can't use it for another day?
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
-Z, Post-reader at Medium
----
If architects built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.
Yes, and yes -- that's one reason why Doug's helmet has big wads of sound insulation around his ears -- and why he can filter out external sounds if he needs to. There are bits and pieces of description here and there in the stories which you can assemble to a better picture of the measures he goes to to make sure he can function reasonably well.
And yes, he has been targetted this way in combat, and yes, it's worked; the helmet is something like the third or fourth design I came up with to foil the GMs. It didn't entirely work -- the next time one of them wanted to target Doug, he was up against someone whose power was to inflict sensory deprivation. Yeah, that was fun. -- Bob
---------
-- Bob
---------
Soon, very Soon
Soon I will be Invincible.
Doug going into the world of Soon I Will be Invincible, a novel by . . . some guy . . . uh.
Basic Plot Thingy: Doctor Impossible, world's smartest man (at least in the top four) and once-premiere supervillain has been in jail for years ever since his twelfth world-conquering plot was foiled by the Champions. Now CoreFire, his arch-nemesis, has disappeared and he escapes to bring about world domination or world destruction.
Meanwhile, Fatale (pronounced Fah-Too), cyborg super-soldier, has joined the New Champions and investigates the disappearance of CoreFire and try to stop Doctor Impossible's mad plot for world domination.
But that's not what the story is about. It's about the lives people lead that culminate in the seemingly random accidents that come to define us in their aftermath. It's about sadness and lonliness, the human condition, and the human will to pick yourself up again.
Now what would Doug be doing in this world? It's not as if it tried to remake the wheel here; it is, at least on the surface, a pretty standard superhero world.
-murmur
Re: Soon, very Soon
by Austin Grossman. I just read it earlier this month and tried to get a discussion thread going in General/General about it.
I've considered it, but Doug is more fun in situations where he runs counter to the dominant paradigm, rather than within it.

-- Bob
---------
I intend to be a freak for the rest of my life, and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from Now We Are Six through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So theeeeeere....
you know . . .
I've always wondered about Doug and magic and what would happen when you mixed that with magic music.
Like Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger series.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spellsinger
In fact, there's some interesting lines of convergence here. Jon-Tom's from California and he uses magic based on singing and playing an instrument.
Hmm.
Or maybe the Spellsong Cycle by LE Modesitt, Jr. (a confession, other than Recluce I have a hard time reading any other works by him. Mostly because a lot of his protagonists are just so . . . horatio alger, free market libertarian ideals).
Or maybe Christopher Stasheff's A Wizard in Rhyme series (though how he'd deal with the whole "it's a world where Roman Catholic dogma is really real" thing, I dunno. Guess it's easier to deal with marginalized religions rather than still-popular ones), though these are just poetry-using magicians and not singing ones.
-murmur
Re: you know . . .
Spellsinger was a very early influence on the concept that became Doug. I'd like to think that in an medieval context Doug would have essentially become a D&D-style Bard, which I suppose is pretty close to the Spellsinger paradigm. Doug specifically in that universe? Mm. I could see both constructive and destructive intersections of his magic and Jon-Tom's...
The other two I've not read yet, so I can't really comment.

-- Bob
---------
I intend to be a freak for the rest of my life, and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from Now We Are Six through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So theeeeeere....
Quote:
I'd like to think that in an medieval context Doug would have essentially become a D&D-style Bard,
Now there's an idea for a Stagger: The Loon lands in a generic-fantasy world, where he meets a wandering minstrel called Douglas of the Black Blood... The plotline's nearly irrelevant to this one; what matters is the characters, and how each of them handles meeting a distorted version of himself.
-Rob Kelk
"Actually, my goal is to write neat stories. The money just makes it possible for me to write them faster and then buy neat toys."
Ryk E. Spoor, 7 November 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
The question becomes, would the highly-charged magic of Jon-Tom's music force instant powers out of Doug instead of waiting 'til the second try? (It's not like Jon-Tom is in the habit of reusing songs, even the ones that work more or less the way he wants them to.)
--Sam
"I'm going to throw a chimney at them."
I think that maybe Doug's power might seize on Jon-Tom's effects as a "premade" template for what it should do, in a kind of synergy...

-- Bob
---------