Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question(s) for the Sakura Taisen Step
Question(s) for the Sakura Taisen Step
For Bob:
1. When would Doug's likely entry into the ST be? Given that the franchise now spans 3 cities, he easily drop in on Paris or New York as well as Tokyo.
2. What's the technological impact of Doug's arrival going to be? From what I can oberved based on anime and manga. their electronics is comparable to our 1930's (vacuum tubes?). Whether or not the transistor or diode has been developed yet is the question.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Question(s) for the Sakura Taisen Step
1. He's going to be visiting the original Hanagumi, somewhere in the course of OVA 2.
2. They've taken such a different path, I don't think Doug can offer too much to them. I mean, look at the stuff in the OVAs -- their radios and movie cameras have little puffing steam engines on them. He'd have to learn their entire tech tree first before he could figure out how to adapt his stuff.

-- Bob
---------
The Internet Is For Norns.
Tech Tree
Quote:
2. They've taken such a different path, I don't think Doug can offer too much to them. I mean, look at the stuff in the OVAs -- their radios and movie cameras have little puffing steam engines on them. He'd have to learn their entire tech tree first before he could figure out how to adapt his stuff.

I'll agree with you as far as the motive power goes. This is a steampunk genre. Converting to say petrochemical would require a massive investment in infrastructure that I doubt Japan would do it (though the U.S probably would given how much of the black stuff there is in the continental U.S).
Nuclear power OTOH, is well within ST tech. You can use it for civilian power generation (a steam generator is a steam generator). Of course, whther or not to let that particular genie loose is the question.
Doug could make an impact in materials and electronics. Show Kohran the design of the Knight Saber's armor. I'd like to see the "spirit power" version she comes up with. ^^
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Tech Tree
Well, if Doug had the hardsuit plans, he could, but he doesn't. He has boomer plans, though, and wouldn't that be a delightful legacy to leave behind there?
Cop 1: "It's on a rampage!"
Cop 2: "It's okay, we just have to wait for it to run out of coal."

-- Bob
---------
Related to this, have you seen the Register article about the steampunk bionic arm?
"... There have been a few little problems, though. The steam comes out of the generator unit at oven-like 230-degrees-C temperatures, making parts of the arm baking hot. ..." But I'm sure Doug and Kohran could solve that little problem, right?

-Rob Kelk
"Read Or Die: not so much a title as a way of life." - Justin Palmer, 6 June 2007
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
I must have missed that article last week. (reads) Okay, I'm suddenly getting Saber Marionette J flashbacks with the steam venting from their shoulders...

-- Bob
---------
An idea
I think Bob, it might be better to base any future ST step on the translated manga coming out now. The problem with the OVA's was that they're side stories to what happend in ST1 and ST2 game storylines. Watching them was entertaining, but confusing if you don't know the context.
The actions of the Hanagumi (save Sakura), which was triggered by Sumire, during the last episode of OVA2 made no sense at all. Until you know that cause of Sumire's actions. I might also note the reason for Saukra's and Yoneda's states of mind during this episode was confusing to me until I read the walk-thru for ST2.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: An idea
Quote:
I think Bob, it might be better to base any future ST step on the translated manga coming out now.
Probably a good idea. I didn't know the manga was coming out; I guess that's another one I have to start collecting...-- Bob
---------
One of the primary differences between the Left and the Right is their attitude toward the Future. The Radical wants the Future to have gotten here yesterday. The Reactionary wants the Future quietly shot and the corpse buried where no one can find it.
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
You didn't? AFAIK, they're up to volume 4...

===============================================
"Reseeestunce ees fiutil. Yoo weeel bee Useemooletud. Borg Borg Borg."
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
I'm not a big manga purchaser. So far it's been Love Hina and Negima, with bits of Utena and Ranma, and that's all. I don't really shop the manga shelves at the local stores trying to figure out what series to try, so I miss most of the new releases.-- Bob
---------
One of the primary differences between the Left and the Right is their attitude toward the Future. The Radical wants the Future to have gotten here yesterday. The Reactionary wants the Future quietly shot and the corpse buried where no one can find it.
-- Bob
---------
definintely
Grab the manga Bob. It's up to volume 5.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: definintely
I will, next time I get to my FNBS.-- Bob
---------
-- Bob
---------