Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rabbit Season, Duck Season, Monkey Season?
Rabbit Season, Duck Season, Monkey Season?
Looking through the ideas here, I don't think this one has come up yet.
I've been getting into One Piece lately, having found a place to download uncut fansubs, rather than dealing with the 4kids version. It strikes me as an interesting locale for Doug in the way his initial impressions might turn out to be wrong. Specifically, there is a United Nations organization called the World Government in this case. They field a force to oppose international criminals, including some metatalents. Sounds familiar, right?
But in this case, the World Government's status as the Good Guys is highly questionable. On the other hand, pirates like the Straw Hats are the exception, rather than the rule. For every high Marine officer who qualifies as one of the white-hats (Like Smoker) there are a bunch of complete a$$-hats.
Along with the posibilites for a severe shift in world view part way through, I do notice that Luffy keeps insisting that pirates should sing.
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.
Re: Rabbit Season, Duck Season, Monkey Season?
Forget the Marines. They're nothing compared to the deeds of the Government's highest officials.
The Star Chamber is so dedicated to keeping the secrets of the hundred years of erased history that they will order the Navy to kill every living thing on an entire island nation where a single name from the Blank Century has been whispered.
They have done this more than once. The Navy complies with the Buster Call, no questions asked.
I don't see Doug getting along with the WG, at all, at all.
--Sam
"Oo -- evil thought!"
I haven't gotten to that point. I've watched up to Drum Island and skimmed the stuff I've downloaded up through part of Sky Island. But I can't say I'm surprised to hear it.
The question isn't whether Doug will side with the WG in the end, it's a question of how long would it take him to realize their true nature. I'm sure they don't advertize their activities of this sort, and on the surface, they look like the sort of organization used to work for and probably remembers fondly. If it reminds him of home, and he is sufficiently homesick, then he might see what he expects and wants to see in a way that would blind him to the stuff underneath for longer than might be the case otherwise.
Then again, Doug has a suspicuous mind.
The other question is whether or not he would have the information needed to identify the Straw Hats as the good guys in this mess, rather than just another buch of pirates.
----------
No, I don't believe the world has gone mad.  In order for it to go mad it would need to have been sane at some point.
Quote:
The question isn't whether Doug will side with the WG in the end, it's a question of how long would it take him to realize their true nature. I'm sure they don't advertize their activities of this sort, and on the surface, they look like the sort of organization used to work for and probably remembers fondly. If it reminds him of home, and he is sufficiently homesick, then he might see what he expects and wants to see in a way that would blind him to the stuff underneath for longer than might be the case otherwise.
Then again, Doug has a suspicuous mind.
The other question is whether or not he would have the information needed to identify the Straw Hats as the good guys in this mess, rather than just another buch of pirates.
y'know I had an idea that ran along similar lines.. it involved a character being dropped into the Star Wars universe, picked up by the Executioner and being told that they were on route to putting down a minor rebellion in the Hoth system. For pretty much the same reasons listed above Smile_______________________________
We're definitely playing this game wrong. I thought Vampire was supposed to be a game of personal horror, not about ninja magic-carpet airstrikes at night.
- A friend after playing a session of Dark Ages Vampire.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. THERE IS ONLY WAR!
-Same friend.