Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Falkenberg's Looney
Falkenberg's Looney
I just finished 'the prince', the collected stories of the Fall of the CoDominium, and the thought of Doug in the universe keeps bouncing into my skull, but I cannot for the life of me figure out where a dimensionally displaced metahuman fits in in a Kipling Revived future infantry warfare situation.
But it keeps niggling at me.. grr.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Re: Falkenberg's Looney
I'd reply meaningfully if I had more than the vaguest idea what Falkenberg was like, but I don't, so I won't.
-- Bob
---------
...The President is on the line
As ninety-nine crab rangoons go by...
heh. If I have some brainpower, I'll blast you a copy of The Prince friday latelate. It's a signifigantly large chunk of text (think Core + SOTS), but it's a damn good read if you like mercenaries and politics and Kipling Approved line soldiers.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
I'll give it a try. No promises.
-- Bob
---------
I enjoyed the Falkenburg novels that I've read, not that that actually means much. 8P__________________
I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
The Mote in God's Eye is a spinoff of those, right? If so, that and its sequel would be the only ones I've read.
--Sam
"But on the gripping hand..."
The Mote in God's Eye comes several centuries later, but yes, it's a follow-on. I'm inclined to agree with Kokuten's original assessment, that there's not a very good place for Doug in that universe. He might well end up fighting against the "good" guys, because some of the things they have to do are very harsh.
Trying hard to avoid spoilers, here's two excerpts, fairly representative of the tone, from one of the Falkenberg stories, coming just after an incident rather similar to the Nika riot:
"...Blame it all on us.... You weren't in command. You can say [name] ordered this slaughter and killed himself in remorse. People will want to believe that. They'll want to think somebody was punished for -- for this." He waved toward the field below. A child was sobbing out there somewhere.
A few moments later....
"...We won't thank you for it, but -- you've saved a whole world, John."
Falkenberg looked at him grimly, then pointed to the bodies below. "Damn you, don't say that!" he shouted. His voice was almost shrill. "I haven't saved anything. All a soldier can do is buy time. I haven't saved [planet name]. You have to do that. God help you if you don't."
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
The CoDominium
Well, you have to understand what the CoDominium is first.
It's an unholy Alliance between the United States and Russia.
The worst aspect of the CoDominium is its freeze on all research after the invention of the Alderson drive. I would had like to know who they could had pulled it off, but this was before the Internet came into practical use.
If Doug really want to screw things over, he'd flood all the data networks with all sorts of plans for gadgets and gizmos and let nature take its course from there.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: The CoDominium
Quote:
It's an unholy Alliance between the United States and Russia.
Worse, really, as ordnance11 knows well. It's an unholy alliance between the United States and the Soviet Union. "The CoDominium seal hung from the far wall -- American eagle and Soviet sickle and hammer, red white, and blue, white stars and red stars."
"And it was strange, Lermontov thought, that despicable creatures like Bronson should be so small as problems. They could be bribed. They expected to be bought.
It was the men of honor who created the real problems. Men like Harmon in the United States and Kaslov in the Soviet Union, men with causes they would die for...."
Quote:
If Doug really want to screw things over, he'd flood all the data networks with all sorts of plans for gadgets and gizmos and let nature take its course from there.
And nature's course, assuming he'd showed up around Falkenberg's time, would be to global thermonuclear war. The CoDominium caused a build-up of pressures that simply wasn't gonna be released peacefully -- not, at least, without some hellacious social engineering.
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Re: The CoDominium
Quote:
And nature's course, assuming he'd showed up around Falkenberg's time, would be to global thermonuclear war. The CoDominium caused a build-up of pressures that simply wasn't gonna be released peacefully -- not, at least, without some hellacious social engineering.
Yeah, but in the end the CoDominium is gonna blow itself to splinters anyway, Doug or no Doug. As I recall, it's barely a decade from the end of the Falkenberg stories to the Great Patriotic War, at which point the CoDominium is history and the Empire of Man is just starting out on Sparta.
Depending on how much Doug were to think through any meddling, he could manage to soften the blow of the Great Patriotic War a little. Not enough to save the CoDo, but maybe enough to prevent Earth from becoming totally fucked for the rest of history.---
Mr. Fnord
Raving blogger
http://www.jihad.net/
"when edison thinks down pipes into special Future Death Machine, in 21st Century another teenager on MySpace gets hit by a car." --Warren Ellis
Mr. Fnord interdimensional man of mystery

FenWiki - Your One-Stop Shop for Fenspace Information

"I. Drink. Your. NERDRAGE!"
You know, for a couple of weeks I've been debating how to post this, and I've decided the hell with it, I'm going to be embarrassed no matter how I phrase it.
When this thread started, I thought you were talking about "Castle Falkenberg", the fantasy-steampunk setting.

-- Bob
---------
Er... Bob... That's "Castle Falkenstein"...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Like I said...
-- Bob
---------
They are easy words to confuse. I did it. I don't know how the Loon would fit into Castle Falkenstein, there's a severe atmosphere disconnect.
He'd think it was incredibly cool, until he started to notice what was really going on.
Then he'd get very, very, very quiet.....--
"I give you the beautiful... the talented... the tirelessly atomic-powered...
R!
DOROTHY!
WAYNERIGHT!

--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
I really really have to read Falkenstein, especially after that, now.
-- Bob
---------
You may as well go with the GURPS version of the game, at least at first. While it isn't as detailed, it is easier to find, and the background is exactly the same...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
Well, yeah, not to mention because I can get it for free.
-- Bob
---------
The goverening bodies(senators, represenatives, president,Supreme Court judges) of the United States has to swear an allegience to uphold the ideal of the Freemasons(a cult)
And, that's only the tip of what's all going on.
France is a power with the Verne cannons.
The Seelie/Unseelie war.
I just thought of something, the iron in Doug's cycle is probably star iron.--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor