Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worst step possible.
Worst step possible.
Here.
no mana, no active magery, no meta _anything_. Retarded tech, obscene copyright laws, obscene US Government, obscene international terrorism problems..
I can't see Doug actually accomplishing anything here, though, but I can see it as a very unpleasant place to visit 'On the way home'.
Who knows, he might end up in the back yard of a certain Mr. Schroek.

naaawWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Re: Worst step possible.
I did mention I saw I guy on a futuristic black motorcycle, wearing grey leathers and (most telling) a pearl grey helmet with goggles instead of visor, a blue mark of some kind on the forehead, and ear domes (though not as big as the ones Bob describes) riding around in Keene ... last year sometime, now. I know I did, because it led to a dicussion on the likelihood of seeing Doug vs. someone being enoguh of tha DWII fan to randomly cosplay vs. someone settling on that combination independently...
I yelled "Hey Doug!" but he either didn't hear me, or didn't respond.
- CDThat which does not kill us... has made its last mistake.
SERVO: Loook *deeeeply* into my eyes... Tell me, what do you see?
CROW: (hypnotized) A twisted man who wants to inflict his pain upon others.
" It's crazy to try to spell out all the mega-nooks and hyper-crannies of a Borg contrivance." - Doug Drexler
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Oddly enough, at one point -- when? hm... it was in the old apartment on Hamilton Street, so that had to be before June 1987 -- anyway, we actually had a session where the Warriors, on their way back from an extradimensional adventure, took a wrong turn and ended up in the world of the players, which is to say, us. Everybody had to roleplay not only their characters but themselves-as-characters...
Sadly, I don't remember what the conflict driving the adventure was, or how it resolved, except obviously the Warriors eventually got back home.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
I imagine it would reflect poorly if a Warrior somehow managed to get their player killed...
...Okay, I think I just had a strange thought that hurt my brain, I'm going to lie down now.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Quote:
Here.
no mana, no active magery, no meta _anything_.
-----------------------------------------------
If you're allowing the possibility that "mana" and magery can exist in other universes, how can we prove that ours isn't absolutely chock-full of the ... ummm, stuff? Mana coming out our ears, and nobody here who knows how to use it or can even detect it. Something like that.
It'd still be a hellish place for Doug, for the other reasons cited, and if he stuck around for any length of time, he'd have to decide how much he felt justified in "improving" our situation. I remember seeing a reference, possibly in the FAQ, to how if a president tried to launch the Iraq invasion the way Shrub did, the Warriors would've been mobilized to stop it.
(Note to Bob: targeting the invasion forces is the wrong way to go about that. It's just going to get a lot of soldiers and Marines hurt -- maybe some Air Farce types, too, but they'll be officers, so who cares. You need to take the offending head of state to the top of the Washington Monument, sit him down on the very tip, and inform him that unless he calls off the attack, Hexe and Silverbolt are going to race down opposite sides of the structure, holding his feet. [This notion borrowed without permission from Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir.])
DHBirr
"You've mistaken me for one of the good [guys]."
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Quote:
Hexe and Silverbolt are going to race down opposite sides of the structure, holding his feet.
OK, I'm a pretty jaded sort, but this concept made my stomach all wobbly.Wire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Quote:
OK, I'm a pretty jaded sort, but this concept made my stomach all wobbly.
Then you don't want to read about Vlad Tepes, a.k.a. Vlad the Impaler, a.k.a. Dracula (the real one not Bram Stoker's version.)
So how would they have dealt with the situation in Iraq? Backed the original '91 war to finish the job right the first time, go all the way to Baghdad?
Oh, wait.
They work for the UN.
Never mind.--
"Use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of General Zod has been approved."
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Proof positive that with sufficient motivation, you can make anything explode.
RE:
ZING~! (grin)
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Re: RE:
In the IST world, the UN ejected Iraqi forces from Kuwait and IST Baghdad promptly arrested Hussein in that world's equivalent to Gulf War I. See www.eclipse.net/~rms/ist1990s.html .
In Warriors' World? The Warriors don't get involved in conventional warfare unless it gets really out of hand. That's the bailiwick of the regular UN peacekeepers.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
Your United Nations is obviously much more powerful, effective, efficient, and non-corrupt than the real-world one, Bob... is it possible that groups like the Warriors act as a sort of "conscience" to the body?
Any group that would name some of the greatest offenders to the Commission on Human Rights is either just wrong in the head, on seriously bad drugs, or an Evil Mastermind In Imperfect Disguise.--
"Use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of General Zod has been approved."
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
The IST version is, mostly, yes. Warriors version, well, that depends -- it's gone through cycles, and we had one period where the only thing that kept the Warriors still working for the UN was an ironclad contract (the UN couldn't break it without some nasty escape clauses kicking in), and the fact that Doug was playing toady to the bureaucrat they put in charge of us for the sole purpose of misleading him and messing with his head. Doug being a toady should have tipped off anyone with a lick of sense, but this guy was a rabid ideologue who was so happy to find an apparent supporter on the team that he didn't question his luck. The more fool him...

-- Bob
---------
Interesting... I'd've loved to see that one.
So... I hesitate to ask, but given the issues... did 9/11 happen in Warrior's World? And if so, how did they respond?--
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
If memory serves me, Norway, they haven't gotten the gameplay of Warrior's World up to even the year 2000, so 9-11, if it will happen -- if nothing prevents it -- hasn't yet.
It strikes me that one of the Warriors has the ability to open teleport gates, or something similar. Depending on the distance from himself at which he can create them, videos in New York could wind up recording the delightful sight of the second jet being diverted every time it gets near to a building.
As for retributive response, that's up to the players, of course. But I'm tickled by the notion of Silverbolt, who as Bob has pointed out is naked under the silver coating, arriving in the land of the burqa to smash into mountain fortresses and haul Osama out by the scruff of his neck.
Say, "Hi!" to Captain Mallory for me. Did you ever hear the song Mercedes Lackey did about her?
DHBirr
"Up, lad, up! We've villages to pillage, maidens to slay, and dragons to rescue!"
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
Well, if they haven't gotten there yet, they haven't gotten there yet.
Quote:
Say, "Hi!" to Captain Mallory for me. Did you ever hear the song Mercedes Lackey did about her?
Heh. Smile "Captain Signy Mallory / Has no soul, they say / The captain of the Norway / Has a heart of frozen clay..." That one?
I'm also quite fond of her "Mazianni" song. Would kill to find the pair in mp3.--
--
Sucrose Octanitrate.
Quote:
If memory serves me, Norway, they haven't gotten the gameplay of Warrior's World up to even the year 2000, so 9-11, if it will happen -- if nothing prevents it -- hasn't yet.
That is correct. The game is currently stuck in 1998, mainly because I'm the current GM and I've been procrastinating. What am I procrastinating about? What happens on 9/11, partly, as I should start laying the groundwork for anything special right away.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
It strikes me that one of the Warriors has the ability to open teleport gates, or something similar.
Skitz.
Quote:
Depending on the distance from himself at which he can create them, videos in New York could wind up recording the delightful sight of the second jet being diverted every time it gets near to a building.
Sadly, his gates aren't that big -- they're square and only 10 feet on an edge. Big enough to walk through, basically. But as to his range, well, he has a base on the moon, and one of his melee attacks is to open a gate to the bottom of the Marianas trench in the Atlantic Ocean.

-- Bob
---------
Quote:
What am I procrastinating about? What happens on 9/11, partly, as I should start laying the groundwork for anything special right away.
Osama is probably about as close as this world comes to a supervillain -- not particularly close, but trying to create a continent-spanning tyranny by means of large scale terrorism is the kind of things supervillains like to do.
In the Warrior's World I suspect he'd be more like a typical supervillain. Metahumans are as capable of religious fanaticism as anyone, and capable of accepting a leader who isn't meta. [And if Osama should decide metahumans are unholy, well, using satan's spawn to destroy the great satan would be nicely ironic.]
However the Warrior's World is used to such threats, like most Superhero worlds. This week Osama, next week the Joker, and Galacticus will be round again in a month.
Writing about 9/11 in such terms could easily be misinterpreted though. It's a sensitive subject.
Quote:
In the Warrior's World I suspect he'd be more like a typical supervillain. Metahumans are as capable of religious fanaticism as anyone, and capable of accepting a leader who isn't meta. [And if Osama should decide metahumans are unholy, well, using satan's spawn to destroy the great satan would be nicely ironic.]
I would point you to the Wild Cards series, edited by George R.R. Martin, in which Nur al-Allah (literally, "The Light of Allah") condemns those infected with the Wild Card virus, but uses those who seek to redeem themselves of their "sin" as shock troopers. The only difference between that and your hypothetical is that Nur himself was a Wild Card.
Ebony the Black Dragon
Senior Editor, Living Room Games
http://www.lrgames.com
Ebony the Black Dragon
http://ebony14.livejournal.com

"Good night, and may the Good Lord take a Viking to you."
Skitz
Out of curiosity, just what sort of powers does Skitz have, and what is he capable of? We know he has teleportation, serial re-incarnation, and I remember there being a reference to telepathy somewhere, but there's never been a definite power type revealed for him (I.E, Telpathic/Telikinetic, Energy Powers, Magic ect)
Re: Skitz
I'll see if John is willing to come and rhapsodize on Skitz, but his wife Allison was in a car accident a couple of days ago and between that and the holidays, he may not be inclined to do so. I don't have a copy of Skitz's sheet handy, so I can't tell you for sure, but he has, to the best of my recollection, about a dozen discrete powers, including a host of psionics and (I think) regeneration.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Skitz
Gah. I knew I forgot something. John agreed -- but I forgot to send him the URL. Maybe tonight.

-- Bob
---------