Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slayers Step
Re: Slayers Step
Slayers was originally supposed to be about Luna Inverse
However, Hajime Kanzaka was having problems writing something for Luna. So, he decided to create a younger sister for Luna Inverse and thus we got Lina.
Other things refrenced in Slayers:
The Goetia(the symbols of Ruby Eye's servitors are actually symbols of five demons from the Lesser Key of Solomon. Hellmaster is Astorath, Gaav is Bune)
Neon Genesis Evangelion(seems to be anime only)
Dragon 1/2(the slime halves that follow Naga the White Serpent around)
Sailor Moon-there is a lot buried in Slayers in anime, artwork, and novels
Rayearth-Amelia was dressed like Hikaru when they had that acting tour trying to get to Sairagg to face Kopii Rezo
Colonel Sanders of KFC fame. There have been a couple people dressed up like the Colonel. That should give Doug some headaches. How does a 20th century icon of fried chicken appear in a fantasy world that doesn't even have bicycles?
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
[Possible Slayers Spoilers]
Another Sailor moon reference: in one crosdressing episode, Gourry's hair is done up in odango ala Usagi, and in the other, it's got a red bow ala Minako.

--The Twisted OneNot only are there no happy endings, there aren't even any endings
--Bast, "American Gods", by Neil Gaiman
Episode 12
"If you
wish to converse with me, define your
terms."

--Voltaire
I might pay to see that.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
I think footage from that ep is used in an AMV set to Aerosmith's 'Dude (Looks Like a Lady)'
no excuse
i have no excuse for my looooong delayed third chapter. quite frankly, i had an idea but it seemed to peter out and now i'm not sure what to do.
the main problem, i think, is that i don't really have my themes in place or what role our hero doug should play.
i've got some ideas on what i want to do . . . it's just getting to that point that's really frustrating.
-murmur
Re: no excuse
Quote:
i have no excuse for my looooong delayed third chapter. quite frankly, i had an idea but it seemed to peter out and now i'm not sure what to do.
It happens to all of us. (I've been stalled on a sidestory to my fanfic "A Certain Distance" for a while - I know that Urd and Shampoo get to "save the world" from Saffron, since the story diverged from canon before Ranma went to Phoenix Mountain, but I'm having trouble figuring out how...)
Quote:
the main problem, i think, is that i don't really have my themes in place or what role our hero doug should play.
As I recall, Lina, Gourry, and Doug were just about to enter a major population centre - that's a perfect place for Doug to "play tourist". If you write out a few scenes of where he goes, what he sees, and who he meets, one of them is likely to spark at least a sub-plot that you can resolve while figuring out where the main plot goes next. You can throw away or use the other scenes, as you wish. That should get you past your current writer's block...
-Rob Kelk
--
Rob Kelk
"Governments have no right to question the loyalty of those who oppose
them. Adversaries remain citizens of the same state, common subjects of
the same sovereign, servants of the same law."

- Michael Ignatieff, addressing Stanford University in 2012
with a little help from my friends
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It happens to all of us. (I've been stalled on a sidestory to my fanfic "A Certain Distance" for a while - I know that Urd and Shampoo get to "save the world" from Saffron, since the story diverged from canon before Ranma went to Phoenix Mountain, but I'm having trouble figuring out how...)
[Urd and Shampoo? excessive and unneccessary violence, probably.]
Quote:

As I recall, Lina, Gourry, and Doug were just about to enter a major population centre - that's a perfect place for Doug to "play tourist". If you write out a few scenes of where he goes, what he sees, and who he meets, one of them is likely to spark at least a sub-plot that you can resolve while figuring out where the main plot goes next. You can throw away or use the other scenes, as you wish. That should get you past your current writer's block...
-Rob Kelk
[Well, that was how the first chapter ended. The second chapter, which is in the fanfic squared part of the website, shows doug in the town of striderton (yeah, yeah . . . i *know*) in the aftermath of a monster attack.
you know, reading back on the two chapters, i can see things that i liked and things that i disliked.
from chapter one: I liked the introduction of doug to lina and gourry, how she's incredibly patronising to him and how he just ignores her questions. the thing that i dislike is, you know, word choices (i mean, ingeniousness? damn, what was i thinking?) and the fact that doug suddenly has a red sweater from somewhere.
I think i did a pretty good job with chapter two, despite not really knowing where it was going. Kira (who is actually a canon character; i'm trying to keep non-canon characters out) was a cute bundle of cuteness. Umm . . . oh! the dream sequence, i'm especially proud of that. and the introduction of amelia and the ending. Things i'm not happy about: the star wars reference i made. yuck. bleh. i'm so sorry.
So anyway . . . hey, do any of you care if I make some specutions and ask for advice on a public forum for this story? Like, not just themes and whatnot but plot points?
Like: the next chapter, when i get to write it, has to do with the quest for doug's bike.
-murmur
Re: with a little help from my friends
Quote:
So anyway . . . hey, do any of you care if I make some specutions and ask for advice on a public forum for this story? Like, not just themes and whatnot but plot points?
I certainly have no objections.

-- Bob
---------
It's a "magical" land. I think "magical" is ancient Greek for "pain in the butt". -- Bun-Bun, Sluggy Freelance, 11/9/03
well, um
okay, let's see if i remember my plans.

possible maybe spoilers for things you probably don't care about follow

for the next chapter, i was planning on truly starting the story, action-wise.
Amelia and Zelgadis set off to investigate the spate of monster attacks, with Doug, being the hero/buttinsky that he is tagging along. To his mind, being in the good with someone that might be able to get him access to magic research is also to the good. As well as, of course, being able to learn about the socio-political-ontological (there's that word again!) situation. subtle-like, 'course.
then . . . umm . . .
well, i don't want to give away too much, cause the motivation for the villain's actually pretty good (though i don't know how much i can milk it for). but hte demi-villain has an interesting schtick. doug's bike had been reverse-engineered and taken back to first principles and now an army (though the timeframe's a bit fuzzy, i'll admit) of bike riding marauders are coming after our heros.
expect lots of references to Mad Max 2.
Say, that reminds me, would Doug know about the Mad Max/Road Warrior series? I'd imagine they had both post-apocalyptic genres in warrior's world and whatnot, i mean of course they would, but what shape would it take with metas involved?
-murmur
Re: well, um
Quote:
Say, that reminds me, would Doug know about the Mad Max/Road Warrior series?
Sure, why not? I can't see a story reason for not having those movies in Warriors World.

-- Bob
---------