Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full Metal Panic Step
Full Metal Panic Step
We've had a discussion on it before, and one of the ideas is that Doug becomes Sagara's "minder" (after begged by the principal and school staff...on their hands and knees) in order to keep the damage to school property down..at least down to an acceptable level.
I had read up to volume 7 of Full Metal Panic manga and volume 2 of Full Metal Panic Bomb!. Given the daily amount of property damage that either occurrs around or is caused by Sagara, I think the idea has merit.
If you look at Sagara as a military "wild child", then all his actions make sense. What I don't understand is why Mithril gave him the job of guarding Chidori w/o giving him backup/a minder. Given his serious nature, he's compelled to watch her 24/7 without a break. I know this to be the case, there was a chapter where Chidori could not remember what she did during certain hours of the night and Sagara gave her an hour by hour detailed log of her actions during that nite. Now, if he knows that there's someone backstopping him (one that he trusts), he might just be persuaded that there is no harm in going to standyby mode, once in a while.(maybe Doug can persuade him by telling him to think of it as a maintenance cycle).
It would be interesting to see how Sagara classify Doug initially and over time. Sagara will see Doug sooner or later as out of the ordinary, but whether he's friend or foe is the question. It would be interesting if he breaks into Doug's apartment and finds his helmet (with the U.N. insignia). It will probably cause a lot of running around by various agents figuring out from what alphabet Doug's working for.
It really would be interesting when he accepts Doug as a fellow comrade-in-arms (like Kurtz Weber or Melissa Mao).
Eventually, someone (Mithril or perhaps some organization or even Gauron hmself) would target Doug. Heh. It'll probably like fishing for a guppy and pulling in a great white.
Hah..found a link to Full Metal Panic sigma:
www.boku-tachi.net/
Have fun!
Edit2: I've gone thru reading the first 2 chapters of FMP:Sigma
There is an agent called "Wraith" who is supposed to be watching over Chidori when Sagara goes on his missions and has leave Chidori unguarded. Given the compartmentalization between the Operations and Intelligence branches of Mithril, what if the Operations branch thought that Doug was Wraith? What if Sagara thought he was Wraith?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
FMP
Read the FMP novels, they ROCK.
According to them, it's hinted that Souske is the distraction, while Wraith is the real guard. It's just that Souske tends to be on the spot and actually cares about Kaname.
Also, despite the impression you get, Mithril is actually a fairly professional agency and if someone attracts their attention, will do a background check. It wouldn't take them long to discover that Doug's background is either faked or non-existant.
At this point they would try to keep Kaname away from him, say by having Souske take her out somewhere, while they try to capture him. This wouldn't work right, all of their missions have unanticipated complications, generally involving Kaname being there, but that's what they would try.
Needless to say, they would be also be completely unprepared for what Doug could do.
Re: FMP
I'll admit there are some fun possibilities here.
And in the spirit of the wordplay I usually try to throw in, especially for these capsule concepts, I can offer the following:
"I, sir, am not a 'Whispered'. I am a bloody loud 'Shouted'!"

-- Bob
---------
It's spelt "Frodo Baggins" but it's pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove."
Re: Full Metal Panic Step
Well, at least I now see where DaveD is working from in his fanfic series.
Hrmm, Wraith...I get the impresion that Wraith is Mithril's Agent 13, an Agent 13 with wacky ninja training Ranma/Naruto style.
As for Doug, someone would wonder just where is he keeping the Lambada Driver to do some of the things he does.
--Rod.H
"Run...Blue-haired girl...rampage...Sagara...booom!"
Quote:
the Lambada Driver
Oh, you mean the device that he has to do a funky Latin dance to activate?

-- Bob
---------
LOL lambada driver XD
althought spelling mistakes aside... wouldnt you keep doug away from a lambda driver? endless possibilities with the combo of a probablity field .... go boom?_____________________________
Shepard Book: The special hell reserved for child molesters and people who talk in cinemas.
Quote:
Well, at least I now see where DaveD is working from in his fanfic series.
Hrmm, Wraith...I get the impresion that Wraith is Mithril's Agent 13, an Agent 13 with wacky ninja training Ranma/Naruto style.
Well, I finished the novel "The End of the Day by Day" and I can tell you Wraith's description in 3 words:
Master of Disguise
Quote:
As for Doug, someone would wonder just where is he keeping the Lambada Driver to do some of the things he does.
Okay...given that the anime series give a vague description of the Lambda driver, I feel it my duty to make a few comments.
No one, not even Mithril's top boffins have any idea how the Lambda driver works. The plans and the prototye were developed by a Whispered peer and friend of Tessa (who supposed died under mysterious circumstances afterward). The only thing known was that it produces random effects that contradict known laws of physics when used in combat situations. But the effects lasts only for short durations and is very unreliable. However, Sagara and the Arbalest were able in a battle sutuation where able to create the following effects:
Force field
Ability to bounce of billboards (keep in mind this is a 9 ton mecha!)
Ability to out-Prime any Optimus Prime combat moves in Transformer
Last but not least....the Arbalest's ability to perform a ki attack..

The keys are two things: Complete union between Sagara and the Arbalest and Sagara's strenght of will.
Which leads me to this conclusion:
The Lambda Driver is a technical means of creating magic.
It may well be that there's a parallel between the EVA and the Arbalest, but the Arbalest is all mechanical, so I don't think the AT field theory is feasible.
So...if Doug figures it out before anybody else. what are the consequences?
Even better, what happens if everyone thinks Doug is in possesion of a very reliable model of a Lambda driver small enough to fit over his head?

Rabbit Hunting season?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
*little silly bit*
I juked to the side, and paused to catch my breath as Frank Zappa's cover of You've Gotta Be a Football Hero finished playing. The Warriors football jersey emblazoned with "6 7/8" faded from existence. The enemy mech levelled it's Vulcan cannon at me.
An angry voice blared from its external speakers, *Unless you want to be a serving of chunky salsa, I suggest you hand over the micro-Lambda driver.*
I gave the old Bronx Cheer and prepared to load another song when I realized something. I'd heard the cannons running dry as I'd made like Joe Montana and Deion Sanders.
I stood firm and crossed my arms across my chest. "You may fire when ready, Gridley!"
The Vulcans began rotating, and the mech put its arm forward to fire.
Clicky-click-ckkk-click!
*What? I'm out of bullets?*
I raised an eyebrow and made a show of being surprised. "No more buwwets? Hey, Laughing Boy," I turned to where Sagara crouched behind a wrecked car and pointed slyly at the mech, "no. More. Bullets."
The kid took the hint and yanked the civilian girl he was supposed to be watching out of the combat zone.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Re: *little silly bit*
I like.

-- Bob
---------
Re: *little silly bit*
As a side note: I don't know if Zappa ever really recorded a version of You've Gotta Be a Football Hero (to Get Along With a Beautiful Girl, but it might make a good IST/Warriors' World bit of euchronia.
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat

-- James Nicoll
Having seen FMP:TSR ep 1
How effective can Doug be against a brigade of MBT's and AS's?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Having seen FMP:TSR ep 1
I'll have to wait to see it before I can really answer properly, but it partly depends on the terrain. The more cover there is, the better chance he has.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Having seen FMP:TSR ep 1
Quote:
How effective can Doug be against a brigade of MBT's and AS's?

no spoilers! no spoilers! Tongue_____________________________
Shepard Book: The special hell reserved for child molesters and people who talk in cinemas.
Can I say it's the worst possible terrain for armored combat? ^^
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
RE: Wraith
You know, I can't help but wonder, sometimes, if the whole deal in FMP with Sagara going to school wasn't an attempt to try and salvage some fragment of humanity out of him before he was too old and set in his ways to be able to operate in a normal society. He's been putting holes in people since he was very young, his family is an utter shambles and he doesn't see himself as anything but an agent of Mithril.
Either he's going to get himself killed or snap in a very nasty way and turn into Mithril's worst nightmare when he gets older. As interesting as it is to see a growing child soldier in action, and portrayed in a somewhat serious manner at times, Sagara with another decade of experience would have probably been a psychopath as opposed to a budding sociopath.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
RE: Wraith
Thus making Chidori a safety valve for the good Sergeant?

-- James Nicoll
Re: RE: Wraith
Someone for him to care about, who cares back, and who can act as a guide to civilian life? I'd say so.

-- Bob
---------
RE:Wraith
More like making it possible for Sagara to try and partially reintegrate into semi-normal society. I can't help but wonder if that would be a reason to put him on this assignment though.. ..to GIVE him a chance to learn how to be a normal human being. He has no fragging clue how the world outside of covert ops functions. You logically wouldn't be able to send him on urban surveilance missions at all because he doesn't know how to even fake being normal.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
I know the answer
But it's a secret.
You're just going to have to watch FMP: TSR and find out.
But Chidori will find out that the good sergeant's paranoia is justified. The situation reminds me what Bruce Wayne told Terry McGillis:
Welcome To My World
Edit: But it does raise a real question..how do you integrate teenage soldiers have have fighting since they were children (as young as 9 in some cases) into society? And that question is real world.
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
It's an interesting question, really.
These are people who have never grown up knowing anything remotely like what we like to call a normal life. For them, normal is abnormal.
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Re: ...
Souske is messed up but he is far from being an uncontrolled psychopath or in danger of being completely non-functional. He just see's everything through a millitary POV.
He did have some affection and friends while growing up and is a memember of a professional and disciplined military organisation. If he was raised by a real psycho-group like the LRA or the like, he'd be hopelessly f***ed up.
While he's in the military, his real problem is that while he's an excellent fighter, he didn't really have anything he was fighting for. That means that he would probably get himself killed eventually, just because he doen't have any pressing need to stay alive. He was loyal to Mithril because a good soldier is loyal to his leaders, not because he had any particular beliefs.
With Kaname and school he is a) learning to live among civilians, b) finding someone he wants to stay alive for and c) fighting to protect others and not just because he was ordered to.
Re: ...
If he was a soldier in a well-run military, & not some kind of psycho or loner-misfit, then he *did* have somebody to care about & fight for: his fellow soldiers.
Those guys who smothered grenades with their own bodies didn't do it because they wanted medals, or because it'd make General Stayintherear happy, or for "God bless America/the Queen/Greater Germany/fill in the blank." They did it because their "family" was there & about to get killed or hurt.
So fighting to protect others won't be so new for the guy. What *will* be new is fighting to protect someone who has far less capability for self-protection. & that could be a very good thing for him. Check out David Drake's book *Redliners*.
DHBirr
-----
Big Brother is watching you.  And damn, you are so bloody BORING.
RE: Sousuke's Childhood
Sousuke grew up as a soldier in the Northern Alliance in Afghanistan... or some reasonable imittion thereof...
- Grumpy Uncle Gearhead
Now we know..
What the lambda driver is?
A block box that does feats of magic. Heh, I was right!
Hmmm..do we agree that the twins needed to be saved?
And the devil will burn!
- Scarlett Pimpernell
Re: Now we know..
Where I want the twins to end up (potential Spoilers from the novels):

If the stuff from the first part of the novels comes to pass, there is a young woman in Sicily who has just inherited the family buisness from her dad who's just died in an unfortunate accident involving explosives. I'm sure she'd like some reliable assistants. If FMP Sigma is correct, she's got something in common with the twins.