Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shonen Jump USA
Shonen Jump USA
As long as I've been talking about Yu-Gi-Oh!, let's look at some of its fellow Shonen Jump series....
Shaman King: A world where the magegift expresses itself in the ability to interact with spirits--all kinds of spirits, from tiny grass and rock spirits, through the ghosts of the dead, up to the Great Spirit Itself. Some people cooperate with spirits, others control them. And the most skilled/powerful shaman of all will become the Shaman King, the one who saves the Earth from destruction.
This being a Shonen Jump title, there's a tournament to decide who the Shaman King will be--though the smart money is on Yoh Asakura, a slacker who enjoys listening to music on his headphones. He believes that only people capable of good are able to see spirits, and has a remarkable ability to bring that capacity to the surface.
It's doubtful that Doug would be allowed to be a direct participant in the tournament, given that it would require him to stay on that world forever, but I think he'd get a big kick out of the Patch (the Native American-esque judges of the tournament) and their authentic handcrafted electronic shamanic devices.

Hikaru no Go: Not a very likely world for an exciting stop, as there's only one known supernatural element. Sai, Hikaru's teaching ghost. (Though nothing prevents it from taking place in the same world as Shaman King, either.) How are Doug's go-playing skills?
Naruto: Takes place on an Earth-like planet where modern technology was developed *without* modern weaponry coming into play. Thus everyone relys on ninjas to get any combat done. Naruto is a trainee ninja with a deadly secret, teamed up with two other teens on missions they aren't really ready for. (Though there are fighting tournaments later, of course.)
This is one of those worlds that doesn't really require Doug to ever meet the protagonists--it's clear that there's exciting ninja action going on constantly.
One Piece: Another not-quite-Earth, this one 80% or so ocean, and effectively ruled by pirates, both good and bad. The main action follows a young idiot named Luffy who wants to be a pirate, and sets off to gather a crew. His first choice, naturally, is a notorious pirate hunter. Oh, and due to the same incident that gave Luffy his rubbery body, he's a pirate who cannot swim.
Again, lots of action even if Doug doesn't join up with the Straw Hat pirates....

I'm sure you've already heard of YuYu Hakusho (one of the few series that *start* with the hero dying) and Dragonball.

SKJAM!
Buses are back, huzzah!
Re: Shonen Jump USA
Oh, I've browsed Shonen Jump, even bought a couple issues now and then.
Quote:
but I think he'd get a big kick out of the Patch (the Native American-esque judges of the tournament) and their authentic handcrafted electronic shamanic devices.
Yeah, there're a few fun ideas there...
Quote:
How are Doug's go-playing skills?
Non-existent.
Quote:
Naruto[/i]I don't know. I haven't been able to get into it yet, despite all the people telling me it's good. (Which includes Helen, here, and she's been our barometer and weathervane for anime since the early 80s...)
Quote:
O

I don't think so. The art style on this one just grates on me. I can't even stand to look at it.
Quote:
I'm sure you've already heard of YuYu Hakusho (one of the few series that *start* with the hero dying) and Dragonball.
But of course.

-- Bob
---------
There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus.