Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No-Go Steps
No-Go Steps
These would be steps where Doug doesn't do anything except glean music and leave quickly.
For example, if he wound up in a "Seinfeld" world anywhere but New York City or Los Angeles, he'd have nothing to do.
And... would he get to do anything in the universe of FLCL?
''We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.''

-- James Nicoll
Re: No-Go Steps
Only if someone hit him in the head with a guitar.
-- Bob
-----------
El Kabong strikes again!
-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
That... could be arranged.
imagine gating in at the wrong time, the wrong place.. and catching the guitar right in the noggin.. helmet would protect against physical damage, sure, but what about the psuedo-magical claptrap effect that wossername was talking about?
[Image: kokbanner.jpg]
--- Kokuten Daysleeper, Retired Epicced Officered DorfWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
I haven't a clue. I haven't actually seen FLCL -- I was just making a flip answer based on one of the two or three bits of information I have about the series.

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
drop acid and watch a pink floyd concert on one TV, and an episode of General Hospital on another TV, and a japanese rave on a third TV, all of them playing at max volume, and you'll get the general idea.
[Image: kokbanner.jpg]
--- Kokuten Daysleeper, Retired Epicced Officered DorfWire Geek - Burning the weak and trampling the dead since 1979
Um, right.

-- Bob
---------
There is no spork.
Guh, I saw one, just ONE, episode of FLCL.... it was the first one of the whole thing... and half the time I was wondering what the heck is going on here?!?
I remember there is a part where the scene is told in a manga style. As in there was the usual 6 panel comic format and the camera basically panned over the panels while the voice actor's basically read out what was in the speech bubbles -_-
You want WTF? Try catching what I assume was the LAST episode for your only episode!
From what I *CAN* figure out about it, the kid who gets hit by the gitaur is our nominal 'hero' of the piece. Gitar girl moves in with him, and his father who is a manga artist (Hence the manga panels occasional) Gitaur girl is being chased by the two police officers who appeared in the episode.
And that's all I was able to comprehend before sanity.sys got corrupted forcing a cold boot/restore from backup"I was an Otaku before those kids came along and changed the meaning of the word."
-- HM "Howling Mad" Wilson to more than one team-mate.
Hear that thunder rolling till it seems to split the sky?
That's every ship in Grayson's Navy taking up the cry-

NO QUARTER!!!
-- "No Quarter", by Echo's Children
FLCL is, essentially, a coming of age story for Naota. It just so happens to be couched in a lot of BIZARRE things. It really is, however, quite amusing and should be seen by everyone, just to catch all the things that have been thrown into it. (and, amazingly, the dub is superb, with english voice actors who actually -sound- like their japanese counterparts).
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power. Its burning grip tells me to defeat you....
Shining FINGER!" -Domon Kashuu, Mobile Fighter G Gundam
FLCL
That's rare. The only english dubs I've ever been able to stand were Wings of Honneamise, and Kishin Corps. Everything else just sounded lame.
I saw the first episode of FLCL, and had to watch it twice more, and *still* had to have it explained to me. A friend of mine with a classical history degree said it borrowed heavily from Greek mythology. The idea that entire creatures of mythological significance were born whole from Zeus' brow, and went forward from there. The protagonist has the same sort of "talent" apparently. At least, that's what I heard about the rest of the series.
Re: FLCL
hrm.. i think ill save the sanity for something else... Tongue if the first and last episodes are that weird ill er... um... give it a pass....
Well, the world of Jem and the Holograms.
A world where three bands are engaged in a music battle of sorts: Holograms, Misfits, Stingers
What can Doug do there?
--------------------
Tom Mathews aka Disruptor
I just can't understand how everyone finds FLCL so confusing. It made perfect sense to *ME* the first time though. I'll sumarize the first episode below, as best I remember.

Naota is a fairly normal kid, in a fairly normal town. There's a wierd factory in the middle of the town and his brother's girlfriend Momoichi obsesses on him as a substitue after the brother moved to America to play baseball, but those are the only particularly unusual things in his life. His father runs a bakery and is an anime otaku, but aside from dressnig like Lupin III and the occasional rant about his glory days as a fanzine editor this doesn't impact much on his son's life.
Naota, however, happens to have just the right brain or head or something like that structure to be used as a hyperspace gate, and the alien woman Haruhara Haruko detects this somehow (it may have been reported by his cat), and gives him a bruise for the hypergate stuff to grow from, on is forehead, since what'ss supposed to be coming through isn't able to form on its own. Haruhara moves in with Naota's family to stay close to him, flirting with him and his father, which irks Naota for reasons he doesn't want to think about. Momoichi is jealous of the attention he's showing to the wierd new girl and pulls an attention-getting stunt, the stress of which is the last thing Naota needs for the hypergate to work.
A robot that Haruko's after and part of another trying to retrieve it some through, and after the fight, the first robot also moves in with the family as an additional servant. (It has a large fragment of the power of Atomsk, if not all of it, but a large fragment also seems to be hidden in Naota, or get stuck in Naota when the various robots pass through his head. The first robot, who gets called TV-Lad because of his head or Canti/Cantide because of the impression Momoichi got during a previous visit to the town a few years before, seems to have the ability to call out the Atomsk power in Naota.)
Despite the inclusion of these strange people, Naota's life settles back into mostly the same pattern aside from another person at the table and another set of hands doing chores... at least until next episode.
Most of the wierd stylistic things are done to parody other shows or the genre itself, like the bullet-time not-quite-kiss/action scene, or the 'manga style' family-around-the-table scene making fun of the practise of using still shots at dramatic moments to save money on action scenes. The series overall parodies everything from Evangelion to James Bond to South Park, a particular high point being the sequence in ep2 or 3 imitating Eva's inner-shinji/outer-shinji argument monologues to show the shock of the character experiencing it as people question them about what happened. It makes about as much sense as the ones in Eva, but it makes sense not to make sense, if you follow my meaning.
- CD
--
"Anko, what you do in your free time is your own choice. Use it wisely. And if you do not use it wisely, make sure you thoroughly enjoy whatever unwise thing you are doing." - HymnOfRagnorok as Orochimaru at SpaceBattles
woot Med. Eng., verb, 1st & 3rd pers. prsnt. sg. know, knows
Accurate, if not nearly as disturbing as the actual series.[Image: kokbanner.jpg]