Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random Musings on Future Steps
Looking back a bit...
Quote:
Babylon 5 could have potential.
Oh yeah, can you just see Doug pestering Kosh? Or trying to out-obscure him?
And Ivanova would hate him. Just hate him.
But he'd become lifelong buddies with Garibaldi...

-- Bob
---------
Then the horns kicked in...
...and my shoes began to squeak.
Re: Looking back a bit...
>Oh yeah, can you just see Doug pestering Kosh? Or trying to out-obscure him?
Actually, I see Doug -trying- to out-whatever the Vorlon... and thinking he's won.
Except that, hours later while he's lying in bed, enlightenment strikes and Doug realizes he's been -had- but -good-.
Blessed be.
-n
===========

===============================================
"V, did you do something foolish?"
"Yes, and it was glorious."
Gasaraki
> The dub cast is very good for those who care about
> such things; my only problem with them is that the
> actress who did Yurika in Nadesico has a small part as
> a member of the mecha support team. She basically
> does the same voice as Yurika, which was distracting
> for me even though she wasn't squealing "Akito!" half
> a dozen times a minute in this show.
I only have the dubs - cheaper than DVDs (until they released in Australia - now I'm kicking myself for lack of patience) - and I never watched Nadescio dubs so that never threw me.
> I don't see an immediate obvious hook to tie him in with.
To insert Our Hero, I'd suggest having Yuuchiro's brother's mistake Doug for a Kai, due to his meta-talent, (Yuuchiro 'triggers' through Noh, Doug through song) - though he probably wouldn't really be one. Whether they'd openly try to imprison him (the line about 'you are a non-person' springs to mind) or disgusise their motives as "certainly, we'd be delighted to help your quest, in return for a few minor sensor scans perhaps - please accept our hospitality."
Done early enough, this could put him in Belgestan (does that seem prophetic now or what?) with the Gowa scientist team, and he might join forces with Yuuchiro at almost any point when the kid's running off to find out what's really going on. And Symbol would almost certainly want to get their hands on Doug (do they remind anyone of Galactor?). Off-hand though, LT could probably trash a TA much more easily than a buma, so he'd likely be less involved in the military side of the story.
Just my 2c
D for Drakensis

You're only young once, but immaturity is forever.
Re: Looking back a bit...
Quote:
Except that, hours later while he's lying in bed, enlightenment strikes and Doug realizes he's been -had- but -good-.
I like that.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Gasaraki
Quote:
To insert Our Hero, I'd suggest having Yuuchiro's brother's mistake Doug for a Kai, due to his meta-talent, (Yuuchiro 'triggers' through Noh, Doug through song) - though he probably wouldn't really be one.
Hmmm. There are possibilities there. A question I'd have to answer is what the actual nature of the "force" they're summoning is -- what does Doug see in magesight during the test on the Old Stone Stage? Is it divine, infernal, something else entirely? That one decision would define the "spin" I'd have on the rest of the story...
Also, how long until Doug realizes what kind of group he's in with? And perhaps bails on his own?
Quote:
D one early enough, this could put him in Belgestan (does that seem prophetic now or what?) with the Gowa scientist team, and he might join forces with Yuuchiro at almost any point when the kid's running off to find out what's really going on.
Yeah, Doug would certainly sympathize with him -- especially when he finds out about the link between Yuuchiro and what's-her-name... the Symbol pilot.
Quote:
And Symbol would almost certainly want to get their hands on Doug.
Gee, ya think? Right after:
Quote:
Off-hand though, LT could probably trash a TA much more easily than a buma,
Oh, quite. Basic Lightning Control from V&V lets him remotely control or burn out any electrical or electronic device; he'd just fire up "Lightning's Hand" and have at it.
Hmm. There are some possibilities here I should consider. The only drawback I can see to making this a Step is that my wife, who is a Gasaraki fan, would probably kill me for "polluting" that world with Doug.

-- Bob
---------
More Gasaraki Musing
> A question I'd have to answer is what the actual
> nature of the "force" they're summoning is -- what
> does Doug see in magesight during the test on the Old
> Stone Stage? Is it divine, infernal, something else
> entirely? That one decision would define the "spin" I'd
> have on the rest of the story...
I dunno, but the guy with silver hair (Mr. Rolls-Royce) is supposedly from inside, having been stuck on Earth since a previous Kai business (from the shogunate flashback or earlier). He doesn't seem very demonic.
One parallel that occurs to me is the concept of capturing an angel, from Andrew Greeley's 'Angel Fire' novel. (Good book, got me into his detective novels).
> Doug would certainly sympathize with him -- especially
> when he finds out about the link between Yuuchiro
> and what's-her-name... the Symbol pilot.
Miharu (I have trouble remembering most of the names in Gasaraki as well).
I was musing earlier and: what if Doug arrives during the encounter on the Stage of Stone... first winding up between Yuuchiro and Miharu as they halt the Rite, and only THEN appearing in the world. Heck, the rite might actually snatch him in mid-transit to a different world, something like:
"It wasn't like any of the previous times I'd moved between worlds. For a moment I seemed to be on top of a skyscraper, looking at a giant Stay Puft Marshmallow Man... I'd say I couldn't believe my eyes, but this is my life all over...
From behind me, I heard voices: 'Remember how I told you not to cross the beams?' 'Yeah?' 'Cross the beams.'
And then, all of a sudden, just I was wondering what song might help me out of THAT situation. it was all swept away.
I was falling, falling, falling... I saw a green-haired girl in a kimono, wearing a mask... a robed figure, masked and with an immense wig of red spiked hair and holding a fan... the girl hacked her hair off, and then lunged at the other with the knife... she cried out...
I was falling, falling, falling... she cried out, 'Don't bring it back! The terror!'... I saw a battlefield, giants among a medieval Japanese army...
And then I stopped falling..."
> > Off-hand though, LT could probably trash a TA much
> > more easily than a buma,
> Oh, quite. Basic Lightning Control from V&V lets him
> remotely control or burn out any electrical or
> electronic device; he'd just fire up "Lightning's Hand"
> and have at it.
It occurs to me that active use of Doug's metatalent might be close enough to attempting the Rite of Gasara to, at the least, alert the sensor used by the Gowas and Symbol (the ones that pick up the reactions from orbit). Thus, if he didn't want to alert anyone to his location...
> Hmm. There are some possibilities here I should
> consider. The only drawback I can see to making this
> a Step is that my wife, who is a Gasaraki fan, would
> probably kill me for "polluting" that world with Doug.
>
You're on your own there. ;-)
D for Drakensis

Re: More Gasaraki Musing
Quote:
o, but the guy with silver hair (Mr. Rolls-Royce) is supposedly from inside, having been stuck on Earth since a previous Kai business (from the shogunate flashback or earlier). He doesn't seem very demonic.
Yeah, that's why I wasn't sure about the origin of that power. If I stay with an In Nomine metaphor, maybe he's a random Ethereal...
Quote:
One parallel that occurs to me is the concept of capturing an angel, from Andrew Greeley's 'Angel Fire' novel. (Good book, got me into his detective novels).
It's odd you should bring those up -- I was just thinking about them in a rough kind of connected-to-DW way. The "pneumatic blonde" Gabriel in that abandoned Buffy the Vampire Slayer scene I posted a week or so back is a deliberate nod to his Gabriella Light. And I was wondering about maybe tying them in to the Eva Step -- comparing the size of Greeley's seraphim to Eva's Angels.
You mention only Angel Fire -- are you aware that there are two other novels in the series? (Of course I'm blanking on their titles now, but a quick Amazon search should bring them up. Angel Light I think is one.) The second one has a wonderful scene where the main character gets to sit down in a bistro somewhere with Mary the mother of Jesus, who keeps referring to Him as "my boy", and is obviously as proud as a mother can be...
While we're still on the subject of Greeley, have you ever read his book God Game? Written in the 80s, when CGA was all the rage in graphics, it's about a priest/computer user who discovers that a game he's playtesting actually gives him godlike control over the lives of some real people somewhere in another universe, whom he can see in ultra-high resolution video... Highly recommended!
Now back to the real topic...
Quote:
Heck, the rite might actually snatch him in mid-transit to a different world, something like:
Nice idea... it might even yank him through awake, which would be a first since he usually arrives unconscious. Hmm. Can you just see those cylinders of power slamming down around Yuuchiro, and then a motorcycle drops down almost on top of him?
Nice job on Doug's voice, btw...
Quote:
It occurs to me that active use of Doug's metatalent might be close enough to attempting the Rite of Gasara to, at the least, alert the sensor used by the Gowas and Symbol (the ones that pick up the reactions from orbit).
Yeah, that make sense... If he gets a chance to learn about it...
Quote:
You're on your own there. ;-)
Don't I know it.

-- Bob
---------
Re: Re: More Gasaraki Musing
> Yeah, that's why I wasn't sure about the origin of that
> power. If I stay with an In Nomine metaphor, maybe
> he's a random Ethereal...
A Remnant would be the closest anology I think... except he remembers a bit more about what he once was.
> It's odd you should bring those up -- I was just
> thinking about them in a rough kind of connected-to-
> DW way. The "pneumatic blonde" Gabriel in that
> abandoned Buffy the Vampire Slayer scene I posted a
> week or so back is a deliberate nod to his Gabriella
> Light. And I was wondering about maybe tying them in
> to the Eva Step -- comparing the size of Greeley's
> seraphim to Eva's Angels.
Good point, although the method of approach seems a little out of character for Angels as sophisticated as Gabby & co. Imperfect though they are, they do listen very closely to the Most High (my favorite religion-neutral term for God).
> You mention only Angel Fire -- are you aware that
> there are two other novels in the series?
There are? Damn, I have enough trouble getting hold of the Bishop Blackie books, I only have Angel Fire because my local library was getting rid of their copy.
> While we're still on the subject of Greeley, have you
> ever read his book God Game? [snip] Highly
> recommended!
I'll look for it.
> Nice idea... it might even yank him through awake,
> which would be a first since he usually arrives
> unconscious. Hmm. Can you just see those
> cylinders of power slamming down around Yuuchiro,
> and then a motorcycle drops down almost on top of
> him?
I dunno about the concious/unconcious issue, but if that's the entry point I think he'd have to get some impressions of what happens. After all, the entire series runs for what, a few weeks of actual time? Doug would have to be connected to the plot somehow almost right away or arrive well before.
The natural reaction to any arrival right in the middle of the cylinders would probably be the assumption that he ORIGINATES from Gasara... which would spark some interested questions
> Nice job on Doug's voice, btw...
Thanks, I wasn't sure about it but for something I just typed off the top of my head...
> It occurs to me that active use of Doug's metatalent
> might be close enough to attempting the Rite of
> Gasara to, at the least, alert the sensor used by the
> Gowas and Symbol (the ones that pick up the
> reactions from orbit).
> Yeah, that make sense... If he gets a chance to learn
> about it...
He may not know HOW they do it, but he'd probably notice the sudden arrival of stormtroopers EVERYtime he uses a song. Or have someone absently mention, 'yes - you set off our detectors right away' while on the theme of: 'yes we know what you are, why are you playing this silly game and denying it?' regardless of whether or not they're RIGHT.
D for Drakensis

contd:
It occurs to me that Doug would probably be, if not afraid, then at least nervous about Gasaraki in case something WOKE UP. It might also keep him from using too much magic - when you're dancing on Cthulu's head, the wise don't tapdance.
D for Drakensis

Re: contd:
If someone told him enough about what's supposed to be going on there, or he inferred enough through magesight observation and general nosing about, yeah, he probably would.

-- Bob
---------
Greeley Angel Books for Drakensis
Contract With An Angel and Angel Light are the other two in the series. As a result of this subthread, I'm now halfway through rereading Contract, and will probably move on to the third as soon as I'm done.

-- Bob
---------
Greeley
Yeah, I found the names on Amazon but as an author he doesn't seem very well represented there.
D for Drakensis

Re: Greeley
He's better known as a mystery author than as a fantasist. That might have something to do with it. He does seem to be in print, though -- at least I saw a fresh paperback edition of God Game a couple years ago.

-- Bob
---------
Another notion
I just reread an old favorite of mine, Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny, today and was still musing about it when I went online. It'd be an interesting world for Doug to run into - a colony settled by a ship refugees from Urath (Earth, obviously) where a whole mass of Hindu mythology has been recreated so that the 'Gods' can maintain their hold.
The twist is, reincarnation really does happen (through mental transfer to a cloned body), the Gods are the oldest and most powerful of these continually reincarnated humans, with Aspects and Attributes which could be described as superpowers.
How do you think Doug would take to being worshiped as a god?
The twist of the story is of how a survivor of the original crew decides not to join his fellows as a God, instead declaring himself their enemy and seeking to spread knowledge through the masses for their benefit, to which purpose he makes pacts with demons (the natives of the world), establishes Buddhism and wages war on a fairly frightening scale (one major battle had only seven survivors from both sides). There's a christian fanatic with legions of the undead and various peripheral factions who don't want to get involved.
I don't know if it'd work but the idea of Doug being taken for a God just reminded me of a scene with Zack in Babylon 5:
"Stop touching me!"
"But you are blessed!"
"The plant is blessed too! Go touch that, okay!"
Something like:
"May I humbly ask your name, divine one."
"Uh-what? I'm Loony Toons... why'd you call me 'divine one'?"
"Forgive me! I did not mean offense!"
"I forgive you! I forgive you! Now stop kissing my boots okay?! I was just asking why you called me that."
"But you are a god!"
"..."
"Though I am not familiar with your name, your Aspect is most puissant and we are all honored that you would exert your Attribute on our humble behalf."
"..." -What the FUCK!?-
"I pick you up by the throat."
"I'm twice your height right now, you can't reach... Damn, you did!"
- Excerpt from a Werewolf LARP
D for Drakensis

Re: Lord of Light
I read that a long time ago, and it definitely had an influence on me -- read the Genesis Myth for my Narth roleplaying world (www.eclipse.net/~rms/genesis.html -- I think) and you'll see a lot of references to the young gods "assuming their Aspects".
Quote:
How do you think Doug would take to being worshiped as a god?
Pretty much the way you wrote it, I think. That sounds about dead on...

-- Bob
---------
Idea's
I think the "Big O" world would be good as a world where Doug would use less of his metagifts to further the plot. While there are giant mecha and monsters in "Big O" they're a uncommon event usually brought upon by Roger Smith's actions. If Doug were to fall into Paradine city and were to find out that 40 years ago on that planet that everyone had lost thier memory the world over he'd want to find out who and what caused the global amnesia. I'd also think that the ruler of Paradine would take interest in Douge since he's an outsider who didn't know about the past, which everyone else does. The problem with doing the "Big O" as a crossover step is that "Big O" was never completed.
If Douge ever has to fight a giant mecha or monster he could always play Blue Oyster Cults "Go Go Godzilla!".
You could have "Please Save My Earth" as a one shot story. Douge could be one of the main kids highschool teachers and finds out about their psychic abilities and tries to help them cope with thier new ablities and memories. Since the series is so short I'd say this would be a one shot.
Urusei Yatsura would be fun to see how Douge deals with aliens, demons, spirits, private armies, and other crazy humans while trying to leave that demension.
The Marvel/X-men universe would probably seem a little like his home since from my understandings mutants have abilites like those with metagifts. This step though would be more one which has fighting as a main part of the plot since most humans want to kill mutants.
The last universe I have to give as an idea is John D. Macdonad's Travis McGee universe. You could have Douge's helmet stolen by an unknown someone after he's landed asleep in that universe and unable to find it when he wakes up. He could then go to Travis and have him help find Douge's helmet. What comes after they find Douge's helmet is open to whatever you want to do.
Re: Idea's
Quote:
The problem with doing the "Big O" as a crossover step is that "Big O" was never completed.
*Bzzzz* Thank you for playing [Image: smile.gif] Big O Season Two should be hitting the airwaves soon, at least in Japan, and is expected on this side of the ocean shortly after that (sep. considering that Cartoon Network was partially behind the production of eps. 14-26). Given that I know Bob's a Big O fan, and he has a good bit of time before he would need to worry about it, I would expect that he'll have seen all of Big O before ha has to make hus decision...
Offsides
Drunkard's Walk Forum Moderator and Prereader At Large
"*Bzzzz* Thank you for playing. Big O Season Two should be hitting the airwaves soon, at least in Japan, and is expected on this side of the ocean shortly after that (sep. considering that Cartoon Network was partially behind the production of eps. 14-26). "
I've never been so happy that I'm wrong, thanks for the info Offsides.
- OlympicHam
You're most welcome - unfortunately I haven't been able to find out anything more about specific timing...
Offsides
Re: Big O
I think I'll stay out of The Big O, at least until I have a better idea about the genesis of that world. Peg and I have our theories, and a couple of them wouldn't be too fun, story-wise, anymore than Doug plunging into the heart of the Matrix world would be.

-- Bob
---------
Like I said, I wouldn't expect you to make a decision until you had seen it all, and even then who knows...
Offsides
It would make a good world where his song powers mostly don't amount to much; most of the action happens either on the human scale or the mecha scale, and his primary metagift falls right in between. This would force him to work mostly on the human scale, which is always good for keeping him interesting and away from SI excesses.

-- Bob
---------
DW: Girls, Girls, Girls
If anyone on the board is interested (and hasn't already seen
the bit we posted on the pre-readers mailing list), I'll talk to Bob and see if he's okay with posting one of the fics that we've been working on together.
Tho we haven't done much recently, he's been busy, and I'm trying to finish "Pagliacci".
So, if you want to see Girls, Girls, Girls, let me know.
Ed Becerra
Re: DW: Girls, Girls, Girls
Yes please.
D for Drakensis

Re: DW: Girls, Girls, Girls
The only problem I have with GGG is that it's got a major spoiler for part of DW2's ending -- and one that you can't easily edit out of the material. It also has a bit of a spoiler for DW5, and DW6, and... well, you get the idea.
Beyond that, it's a project in serious flux -- as the Walk changes and evolves, the cast of GGG changes and evolves. And the plot hasn't yet settled down nicely yet.
Ed, we might need to talk this out voice and decide just what, if anything, we'll do when it comes to posting.

-- Bob
---------